www. mrmoneymustache

User Forum Topic
Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 13, 2016 - 8:59am

this is good. guy is hilarious. i feel reinvigorated. i was getting soft.

rode my bike to work.

screw a new car.

Submitted by ucodegen on August 14, 2016 - 3:04pm.

You can also get an electric assisted bike, or mod a bike to be electric assisted. A person near where I live runs a bike with two electric wheel hubs (front and back). The thing is virtually a motorcycle. He has no problems with the hills.
https://www.google.com/search?q=electric...

Or you can run a electric motorcycle. - though the only problem I have seen there is that most of the electric motorcycles cost the same as a small car.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101...

though self powered bikes can help with strengthening for squats....

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 14, 2016 - 5:00pm.

ucodegen wrote:
You can also get an electric assisted bike, or mod a bike to be electric assisted. A person near where I live runs a bike with two electric wheel hubs (front and back). The thing is virtually a motorcycle. He has no problems with the hills.
https://www.google.com/search?q=electric...

Or you can run a electric motorcycle. - though the only problem I have seen there is that most of the electric motorcycles cost the same as a small car.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101...

though self powered bikes can help with strengthening for squats....

i have a lot of bikes but i got this new blue one from the goodwill that is very shiny and cool. for my oldest kid. who got a job then took my car. so i took his bike. i guess he can have it back whenever. 60.00. rides nicer than other bikes, maybe cause its not mine? i love the blueness of it. old mid90s mt. bike, all rigid. color matters IMO.

mrmoney mustache has changed my outlook. im going to be less of a pussy.

Submitted by harvey on August 15, 2016 - 10:31am.

I found his blog a few years back and it intrigued me because I'm also semi-retired. He certainly offers some good advice for money management and budgeting but I am quite skeptical about some of his reported numbers.

Example: A budget where he clams to have only purchased one tank of gas in an entire year. Certainly possible if you use only public transportation or ride a bike everywhere like he claims to do. However it's a little hard to believe when he also have a kid that's going to the doctor regularly, claims to go hiking regularly, and does regular construction home/improvement work. The same budget also showed zero public transportation cost. It seems he found a way to get himself and his family frequently from point A to point B in a suburban neighborhood that has hash winter weather without spending anything:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/01/1...

He must live within walking distance to everything and either doesn't let his kids play sports or is the dad that doesn't do his share of the team driving....

Submitted by sdsurfer on August 15, 2016 - 12:10pm.

I think someone on this blog actually turned me onto him. He's amazing. I dont follow him 100% with my truck and all that, but there are so many things he writes about that I agree with. The one where he mentions "what he's teaching his kids about money" should be read by everyone in my opinion.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 12:23pm.

he mentions somewhere, minimal activities and commitments of any type.

over the weekend i became interested in a new religion, dudeism, based on the movie THE BIG LEBOWSKI. it might be sort of not totally compatible with mr MM. i think i want to just be a dudeist.

i can get ordained over the internet and maybe prosyletize a little later...

Submitted by harvey on August 15, 2016 - 12:41pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
he mentions somewhere, minimal activities and commitments of any type.

I'm generally pragmatic with personal finance, but he takes it to a level that's a little too cold and calculating.

Stuff like "you only need one kid" and "you don't need a dog." Yes he actually did the math, and a dog in your life means that you'll have to work X number of years longer before retirement...

I keep a budget but don't think it's healthy to be calculating the lifetime cost of a family member.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 12:45pm.

harvey wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
he mentions somewhere, minimal activities and commitments of any type.

I'm generally pragmatic with personal finance, but he takes it to a level that's a little too cold and calculating.

Stuff like "you only need one kid" and "you don't need a dog." Yes he actually did the math, and a dog in your life means that you'll have to work X number of years longer before retirement...

I keep a budget but don't think it's healthy to be calculating the lifetime cost of a family member.

i think too many people have too many damn dogs. they are too expensive.

kids too, probably.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 12:46pm.

harvey wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
he mentions somewhere, minimal activities and commitments of any type.

I'm generally pragmatic with personal finance, but he takes it to a level that's a little too cold and calculating.

Stuff like "you only need one kid" and "you don't need a dog." Yes he actually did the math, and a dog in your life means that you'll have to work X number of years longer before retirement...

I keep a budget but don't think it's healthy to be calculating the lifetime cost of a family member.

"The dog population experienced relative stability from 1987 to 1996, before seeing a yearly increase of 3-4% since that time.[48] In 2000, there were 68 million dogs in the country, and by 2010 that estimate had grown to 75 million, with about 40% of American households owning a dog.[49][50]

In 2012, there were 83.3 million dogs and about 47% of households had a dog.[51] 70% of the owners had a dog, 20% of the owners had two dogs, and 10% of the owners had three or more dogs.[51]"

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 15, 2016 - 1:53pm.

Dogs are very expensive and a lot of work. I love dogs, but I'm happier without.

Submitted by harvey on August 15, 2016 - 2:14pm.

Statistics about dogs are irrelevant in this context.

I'm talking about my dog.

Submitted by Rich Toscano on August 15, 2016 - 5:06pm.

harvey wrote:

I'm generally pragmatic with personal finance, but he takes it to a level that's a little too cold and calculating.

Stuff like "you only need one kid" and "you don't need a dog." Yes he actually did the math, and a dog in your life means that you'll have to work X number of years longer before retirement...

I keep a budget but don't think it's healthy to be calculating the lifetime cost of a family member.

If dogs are too expensive, how does he justify having a kid?

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 7:40pm.

Rich Toscano wrote:
harvey wrote:

I'm generally pragmatic with personal finance, but he takes it to a level that's a little too cold and calculating.

Stuff like "you only need one kid" and "you don't need a dog." Yes he actually did the math, and a dog in your life means that you'll have to work X number of years longer before retirement...

I keep a budget but don't think it's healthy to be calculating the lifetime cost of a family member.

If dogs are too expensive, how does he justify having a kid?

priorities.
also i think he spends less on food for him and his b kid than a lit of southern californians spend on their dogs

Submitted by harvey on August 15, 2016 - 8:32pm.

It's all in his calculus. Having children has certain benefits, like ... well if you don't understand the benefits then there is no point in trying to explain them.

But having one child is optimal. You get the benefits without any additional costs. He's got it all figured out, optimally.

Submitted by WarChestSM on August 15, 2016 - 8:50pm.

You guys got way off topic. Forget the dogs subject.

MMM is brilliant because he explains what really matters. Happiness. That's it. But the problem is that people think spending money, convenience, and "luxury" will make them happy.

Even with a paid off house and low property taxes, I couldn't live on $25k/year. But after reading his blog and soaking it in, I've lowered my spending a fair amount and found my happiness level going up. Yes, really.

Submitted by harvey on August 15, 2016 - 9:01pm.

Well I did notice that he constantly emphasizes how happy he is.

Reminds me of Trump emphasizing how honest he is.

But I do think MMM is happy. Buddhist monks who live in absolute poverty are apparently happy also.

I won't forget the dog subject. My dog brings me joy.

Submitted by SK in CV on August 15, 2016 - 9:47pm.

harvey wrote:
Well I did notice that he constantly emphasizes how happy he is.

Reminds me of Trump emphasizing how honest he is.

But I do think MMM is happy. Buddhist monks who live in absolute poverty are apparently happy also.

I won't forget the dog subject. My dog brings me joy.

Yeah, no matter how happy someone is, they'd be happier with a dog. At least half the joy from my entire life came from my dogs. Probably a lot more than half the heart aches too, but well worth it. On my best days, I'm a tenth as good as my dogs think I am.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 11:30pm.

i despise dogs.

theres nothing cool about a dog. slathering sycophantic beasts.
my cat teaches me how to be.

but yeah, the blog is really more about toughening up and not being a "complainypants"...enjoying life more by riding your bike and getting off the hedonic treadmill. hes super pro bike. basically the answer to all your oroblrms is,ride your bike. which i kinda,side with.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 11:31pm.

harvey wrote:
Well I did notice that he constantly emphasizes how happy he is.

Reminds me of Trump emphasizing how honest he is.

But I do think MMM is happy. Buddhist monks who live in absolute poverty are apparently happy also.

I won't forget the dog subject. My dog brings me joy.

constant optimization probably doesnt bring happiness. quite the opposite.

dudeism is the only mindset that can bring ha]piness.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 11:33pm.

harvey wrote:
It's all in his calculus. Having children has certain benefits, like ... well if you don't understand the benefits then there is no point in trying to explain them.

But having one child is optimal. You get the benefits without any additional costs. He's got it all figured out, optimally.

3 kids is kinda redundamt. now that i know them, of course, i cant fathom not having them. but when i didnt know them i xould have not had them and be happy.

certainly there should be a one dog per family rule

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 15, 2016 - 11:34pm.

harvey wrote:
It's all in his calculus. Having children has certain benefits, like ... well if you don't understand the benefits then there is no point in trying to explain them.

But having one child is optimal. You get the benefits without any additional costs. He's got it all figured out, optimally.

ugh. efficiency...

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 16, 2016 - 8:16am.

Scaredy, there is a huge population of westerners living the dudeist lifestyle in Chiang Mai Thailand. They ride bikes and eat vegetarian/vegan. Most were overweight and unhappy.

Submitted by sdsurfer on August 16, 2016 - 11:44am.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Scaredy, there is a huge population of westerners living the dudeist lifestyle in Chiang Mai Thailand. They ride bikes and eat vegetarian/vegan. Most were overweight and unhappy.

I think they all need to watch the movie again then...

Submitted by harvey on August 16, 2016 - 12:03pm.

Are White Russians vegan?

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 17, 2016 - 9:14am.

sdsurfer wrote:
FlyerInHi wrote:
Scaredy, there is a huge population of westerners living the dudeist lifestyle in Chiang Mai Thailand. They ride bikes and eat vegetarian/vegan. Most were overweight and unhappy.

I think they all need to watch the movie again then...

I didn't watch the movie (I know, so out of touch). Just I know that Dudism was founded in Chiang Mai. I've been there many times and there is a culture of westerners going to seek happiness and minimal healthy lifestyle.

You meet people, from places like England where all they eat is fried food and they are like "wow there are so many food choices here". It's like an epiphany for them. Sort of a follow up the hippie culture of the 60s.

Submitted by all on August 17, 2016 - 9:26am.

harvey wrote:
Are White Russians vegan?

Of course. That is why they are called White.

Submitted by Escoguy on August 17, 2016 - 2:45pm.

I've read some of Mr. MM from time to time.

What I like:
Agree that you should be able to get by with as little as possible. Maximize savings, minimize expense.

What puzzles me greatly:

What does a man who lives on 30K /year do with the revenue from advertising?

In this sense, the Zen lifestyle makes no sense. Either you are confident you don't need the money and could say donate it to charity or there's this little voice in the back of his head that says, perhaps I can't keep this up forever and I will need more later.

Don't think we'll ever get the answer but for me, I do want to increase my standard of living gradually over time. Even if I can live on a small amount, it doesn't mean I'll always WANT to do it.

Live well

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 17, 2016 - 5:20pm.

Escoguy wrote:
I've read some of Mr. MM from time to time.

What I like:
Agree that you should be able to get by with as little as possible. Maximize savings, minimize expense.

What puzzles me greatly:

What does a man who lives on 30K /year do with the revenue from advertising?

In this sense, the Zen lifestyle makes no sense. Either you are confident you don't need the money and could say donate it to charity or there's this little voice in the back of his head that says, perhaps I can't keep this up forever and I will need more later.

Don't think we'll ever get the answer but for me, I do want to increase my standard of living gradually over time. Even if I can live on a small amount, it doesn't mean I'll always WANT to do it.

Live well

yep.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 17, 2016 - 5:25pm.

well, im gonna hit the road home on the old mt. bike. 95 damn degrees. i was so hot the other day i just leaped in the pool fully dressed when i got home. kids were amused.

mr money mustache, i love you. but you are, like most people, kinda full of crap.

Submitted by harvey on August 18, 2016 - 6:38am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
mr money mustache, i love you. but you are, like most people, kinda full of crap.

That's his gift. He's BSing us, we all know he's BSing us, but we like him anyway. Charisma.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 18, 2016 - 7:14am.

pretty much everything human is BS. love, money, business, medicine, law, entertainment, pretty much everything in the realm of human affairs. layers of bs.

maybe farming isnt? not sure

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.