Trump presidency predictions

User Forum Topic
Submitted by zk on December 8, 2016 - 2:37pm

Let's hear your predictions for trump's presidency. In 4 (or, god forbid, 8) years, we'll see who was right. Some of my predictions are on these threads:

http://piggington.com/its_bad_day_human_...

http://piggington.com/ot_predictions_201...

and I'll make some more here soon.

In the mean time, if any of you trump voters are actually bold enough to predict good things, let's see it right here where we can all access it in 4 years.

Submitted by flu on January 29, 2017 - 9:32pm.

AN wrote:
flu wrote:
AN wrote:
flu, now that I think about it, if this was proposed and implemented with Obamacare (i.e. those who voted for Obama cover the cost instead of forcing the middle class to do it), we might not be talking about Trump right now and the stupid wall or the ban.

True, but at the same time, there were alternatives to healthcare. There's no alternative to "no wall". If our government wants to enforce immigration laws, fine. i don't see how a wall is very helpful, considering like in SD we already have one or two. It would be interesting though that if we adopted a crowd sourcing model of funding certain projects. For example, people that want a high speed train could contribute and those that didn't don't. Those that contribute would pay a much reduced rate for use. And those that didn't well, would pay a lot for it once it's done.

I totally agree. But at least it takes one of his voters' main reason for voting for him. Whether it would have made a difference, who knows, but I would think it would. But no one will know. We are where we are because of the decision the politicians made over the last 8 years. Remember, "Election have consequences" and "I have the pen and the phone"? Yep, we're now in pen and phone overdrive. Not only that, Dems used the nuclear option and now, Rep only needed 51 votes to confirm Trump's nominees. Thank you very much.

Yeah, I know...I'm just burying my head in the sand, and focusing on the trivial things in life, like painting a car, building a robot. Pretending the rest of America doesn't exist :)

Submitted by AN on January 30, 2017 - 12:47am.

FlyerInHi wrote:
After 8 years of Bush I was glad to have Obama. Lose followed by win.
And now, you got this shit show. Yep, sounds like an awesome result and it must be all worth it.

FlyerInHi wrote:
I can understand you didn't like Obama, but it sounds like you don't like Trump either. Lose then lose more.
I personally didn't "lose". I did just fine under Obama and probably will do just fine if not better under Trump. The only "lost" that I see is the shit show that the two party system have gotten us into now. Enjoy your show.

Submitted by harvey on January 30, 2017 - 9:18am.

AN wrote:
flu, now that I think about it, if this was proposed and implemented with Obamacare (i.e. those who voted for Obama cover the cost instead of forcing the middle class to do it), we might not be talking about Trump right now and the stupid wall or the ban.

Right, and only those who voted for Bush pay for the Iraq war?

You really don't have a fucking clue how democracy works.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 30, 2017 - 11:59am.

AN wrote:
And now, you got this shit show. Yep, sounds like an awesome result and it must be all worth it.

Yeah so typical to blame Obama. There is nothing that Obama could have done to allay the fears of Trumpadors because Obama himself was the object of their fears.

Republican leaders exploited the fear and anxiety and fanned the flames of hysteria.

As Justin Trudeau said, the test of leadership is how politicians allay fears and promote unity.

AN wrote:
I personally didn't "lose". I did just fine under Obama and probably will do just fine if not better under Trump. The only "lost" that I see is the shit show that the two party system have gotten us into now. Enjoy your show.

If you did so well under Obama then what's the bitchin'? Economically, you should choose a certainty over an unknown.

At least you are acknowledging that the country is losing. Don't jump between policies that are best for the country and how you're able to best navigate the system for personal gains.

Submitted by AN on January 30, 2017 - 2:15pm.

harvey wrote:
AN wrote:
flu, now that I think about it, if this was proposed and implemented with Obamacare (i.e. those who voted for Obama cover the cost instead of forcing the middle class to do it), we might not be talking about Trump right now and the stupid wall or the ban.

Right, and only those who voted for Bush pay for the Iraq war?

You really don't have a fucking clue how democracy works.

Tell that to the guy who created the gofundme campaign. *roll eyes*

Submitted by AN on January 30, 2017 - 2:22pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
If you did so well under Obama then what's the bitchin'? Economically, you should choose a certainty over an unknown.
Not bitchin', just stating facts. It's not about me. It's what I see the direction the country is heading toward.

FlyerInHi wrote:
At least you are acknowledging that the country is losing. Don't jump between policies that are best for the country and how you're able to best navigate the system for personal gains.
What was going on for the last 8 years wasn't what was best for the country. Don't project your POV and assume everyone agree with your POV.

Submitted by harvey on January 30, 2017 - 2:43pm.

AN wrote:
harvey wrote:
You really don't have a fucking clue how democracy works.
Tell that to the guy who created the gofundme campaign. *roll eyes*

You want me to tell the guy who started a gofundme campaign that you have no fucking clue how democracy works?

The gofundme was a joke. A joke intended to emphasize the fact that Trump wants things but that he and his supporters don't seem to understand that things cost money.

The false equivalence claims are lame. Nobody ever claimed that the costs of ACA/Obamacare would not be the responsibility of the American taxpayer. And yet now we have people believing that some comic book character with a superpower to "make deals" is going to get another country to pay for the stupid shit we are going to build.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 30, 2017 - 3:29pm.

AN wrote:
FlyerInHi wrote:
If you did so well under Obama then what's the bitchin'? Economically, you should choose a certainty over an unknown.
Not bitchin', just stating facts. It's not about me. It's what I see the direction the country is heading toward.

Ok fine. You didn't like Obama and his direction.

But now you say we have this "shit show." Is it fair to assume you don't like Trump either?

Your blaming Trump's ascent on Obama is misplaced and actually gives Obama too much credit.

AN wrote:
What was going on for the last 8 years wasn't what was best for the country. Don't project your POV and assume everyone agree with your POV.

That's fine if that's your opinion. But the difference between you and me is that I didn't blame Obama's failures on Bush. There are however reasons why Obama's agenda wasn't fully implemented.

You seem to say that today's "shit show" is because of Obama, as if Trumpkins threw a destructive temper tantrum because of the past 8 years. Yeah, real mature.

Submitted by AN on January 30, 2017 - 4:27pm.

harvey wrote:
AN wrote:
harvey wrote:
You really don't have a fucking clue how democracy works.
Tell that to the guy who created the gofundme campaign. *roll eyes*

You want me to tell the guy who started a gofundme campaign that you have no fucking clue how democracy works?

The gofundme was a joke. A joke intended to emphasize the fact that Trump wants things but that he and his supporters don't seem to understand that things cost money.

The false equivalence claims are lame. Nobody ever claimed that the costs of ACA/Obamacare would not be the responsibility of the American taxpayer. And yet now we have people believing that some comic book character with a superpower to "make deals" is going to get another country to pay for the stupid shit we are going to build.

LoL, damn, you're angry. Life must suck.

Submitted by AN on January 30, 2017 - 4:44pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Ok fine. You didn't like Obama and his direction.

But now you say we have this "shit show." Is it fair to assume you don't like Trump either?

Your blaming Trump's ascent on Obama is misplaced and actually gives Obama too much credit.

Nope, I don't blame it all on Obama. They all had their part. The Republican not working with the Democrats in congress. The Democrats saying we don't care, since we have majority, we'll do what we want. Obama saying he'll use the pen and the phone if Congress doesn't do thing his way. I can go on, but I'm sure you get the point. Now, all of that got taken to the next level.
FlyerInHi wrote:
You seem to say that today's "shit show" is because of Obama, as if Trumpkins threw a destructive temper tantrum because of the past 8 years. Yeah, real mature.
No, today's shit show is because Trump. The blame is on no one but him. You're reading into something that isn't there. However, I do blame the dysfunctional government and globalization that disenfranchise the working poor that brought the rise to Trump. Lastly, I blame the polarize voters who prefer extremes of their parties instead of voting for centrists. They got what they sow. Now, we have to deal with it.

I know you'll come back and say it's all the Republican's fault and Democrats only did what they had to do. That's your POV and I disagree. But again, it doesn't really matter at this point. We got what we got.

Submitted by harvey on January 30, 2017 - 5:59pm.

AN wrote:
LoL, damn, you're angry. Life must suck.

The last two pages of this thread have been peppered with you whining about how bad things are and arguing with anyone who might suggest otherwise.

Sorry the past eight years were so hard on you - they worked out well for me and most others: stock market up, real estate investments up, better healthcare options for us who are self-employed families, and more.

But hey, maybe Trump will get you those school vouchers.

Submitted by harvey on January 30, 2017 - 6:00pm.

dup

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 30, 2017 - 6:09pm.

AN, there is a concept called proportional liability. Since the "shit show" is led by Trump from the oval offibe, i would argue republicans bear the biggest portion.

If we focus on the travel ban specifically, nothing the Democrats did led to it.

Submitted by ltsdd on January 30, 2017 - 9:07pm.

AN wrote:
What was going on for the last 8 years wasn't what was best for the country.

Please be more specific with this statement. Better yet, name three things that the Obama administration did or didn't do that would justify such a conclusion.

I thought the administration did quite well domestically -specifically reducing unemployment in half. Internationally, it did an admirable job repairing relationships with our allies that the previous administration FUBAR. So, please let's hear something concrete why you believe that the "last 8 years wasn't what was best for the country."

Submitted by AN on January 30, 2017 - 10:54pm.

ltsdd wrote:
Please be more specific with this statement. Better yet, name three things that the Obama administration did or didn't do that would justify such a conclusion.

I thought the administration did quite well domestically -specifically reducing unemployment in half. Internationally, it did an admirable job repairing relationships with our allies that the previous administration FUBAR. So, please let's hear something concrete why you believe that the "last 8 years wasn't what was best for the country."

Obamacare, low labor participation, add trillions of $ in debt that he called Bush unpatriotic for doing.

As for internationally, still spending billions in Afghanistan and the middle east. Either go all in or go out. This 1/2 in 1/2 out isn't getting us anywhere.

I'm sure you don't agree with any of what I said. Which is OK.

Submitted by flyer on January 31, 2017 - 12:56am.

Per the info below, it's easy to see why at least 80% of the population on both sides of the political aisle may have financial concerns about their future.

Since these issues are excellent barometers wrt to the direction things are going in this country, it will be very interesting to watch if and when these numbers change under this administration and in the future.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/18/pf/wealt...

Submitted by spdrun on January 30, 2017 - 11:09pm.

Obamacare, low labor participation, add trillions of $ in debt that he called Bush unpatriotic for doing.

Obamacare: agreed, he should have gone with a public option. But hey, at least self-employed people with pre-existing conditions could finally get insurance in many states. In states that didn't deliberately do a poor job of implementation, rates and coverages are actually reasonable. Cheapest gold plan ($600 deductible) is $532/mo in NY, but many people get a tax credit ranging from $70 to about $300 per month.

Low labor participation: that's not actually an awful thing. More women chose not to work under Obama -- having one parent stay home when raising kids is a good thing for families, IMHO. Once you take away over-65s, students, people in jail, and SAHMs, the numbers don't look all that bad.

Debt was necessary to undo the fuckery that happened under Bush's idiot son, who should have never got us into the homicide spree in Iraq (among many other errors).

Submitted by harvey on January 31, 2017 - 7:43am.

An easy tell for who is drinking the right-wing koolaid is that they invoke the labor participation rate - a statistic nobody cared about until real unemployment numbers started improving after 2008. The right had to scramble to get a "number" that made Obama look bad, so they started the typical histrionics about this obscure statistic. They knew full well that their based would never actually engage in any critical thinking when cutting and pasting these "facts."

So the wife quit her job and spends more time with the kids because the husband got a raise? ... OMG people are leaving the workforce!

Never mind that the number was much lower in the 50's and 60's - that time when America was great.

Submitted by flu on January 31, 2017 - 8:56am.

I predict that a lot of you are going to be paying a lot more for tech gear once with all the H1-B changes..I mean, I don't personally mind.....I mean if my total comp could rise another 25-30%, and the rest of the consumers are forced to pay for it, I certainly don't mind....lol.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-tru...

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 31, 2017 - 3:51pm.

harvey wrote:
An easy tell for who is drinking the right-wing koolaid is that they invoke the labor participation rate - a statistic nobody cared about until real unemployment numbers started improving after 2008. The right had to scramble to get a "number" that made Obama look bad, so they started the typical histrionics about this obscure statistic. They knew full well that their based would never actually engage in any critical thinking when cutting and pasting these "facts."

So the wife quit her job and spends more time with the kids because the husband got a raise? ... OMG people are leaving the workforce!

Never mind that the number was much lower in the 50's and 60's - that time when America was great.

Haha. I had a good laugh. People aren't very smart and they don't reconcile their ideas.

But to be fair... maybe they mean that the economy is not that good so people give up looking for jobs. They reluctantly drop out of the workforce. Resilient folks would keep looking no matter what, so not a lot of bootstrapping, hey?

Social convervatives want more SAHPs and more village child rearing. However a good economy works against those social goals by naturally, through market forces, drawing people into the labor markets and incentivizing them to cut ties to the village/church network. That's what we call mobility.

Submitted by zk on February 2, 2017 - 8:15am.

More stupid shit from the trump administration.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorial...

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic...

I can't keep up with it all. His national security adviser going off half-cocked. Angering other countries with his ridiculous tweets. Bannon on the national security council. Good god. We're all in very big trouble. And when I say we, I mean humans.

I wonder how many trump voters are thinking, "my god, what have I done?" If they were stupid enough to vote for him, I guess it's possible that they're stupid enough to not see the fascist tendencies he's already displaying, the disaster that his cabinet is, the damage he's already causing in our relations with other countries, the problems with his national security council, the dangers of his secretiveness and his vilification of the press, etc.

He claimed that the power, as of the moment of his inaugural speech, was being transferred back to the people. And yet the exact opposite is happening. And the republican congress, afraid of the attacks we've all seen trump direct at anyone who disagrees with him, is going along with his agenda.

I predicted a lot of bad things from this administration, but I did not think it would get this bad this fast. Let's hope he's just off to a fast start and doesn't continue to wreck our country at his current pace.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 2, 2017 - 9:23am.

zk wrote:

I wonder how many trump voters are thinking, "my god, what have I done?" If they were stupid enough to vote for him, I guess it's possible that they're stupid enough to not see the fascist tendencies he's already displaying, the disaster that his cabinet is, the damage he's already causing in our relations with other countries, the problems with his national security council, the dangers of his secretiveness and his vilification of the press, etc.

Not too many, because that would make them smart. 1/2 of Americans are dumb but they want to be treated as smart. Rather than owning up to their deficiency and educating themselves, they huff and puff that they are not "respected".

Like I said before, the sense of shame will however set in and few will admit to their grandkids that they voted for Trump. Few Americans dare to openly admit they supported Joe McCarthy, or segregation.

I think we have a few here on Piggington who voted Trump. I challenge them to tell their grandkids and their family, without qualifying "well, it was only a protest vote, and in California it didn't matter anyway".

Submitted by outtamojo on February 2, 2017 - 10:06am.

zk wrote:
More stupid shit from the trump administration.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorial...

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic...

I can't keep up with it all. His national security adviser going off half-cocked. Angering other countries with his ridiculous tweets. Bannon on the national security council. Good god. We're all in very big trouble. And when I say we, I mean humans.

I wonder how many trump voters are thinking, "my god, what have I done?" If they were stupid enough to vote for him, I guess it's possible that they're stupid enough to not see the fascist tendencies he's already displaying, the disaster that his cabinet is, the damage he's already causing in our relations with other countries, the problems with his national security council, the dangers of his secretiveness and his vilification of the press, etc.

He claimed that the power, as of the moment of his inaugural speech, was being transferred back to the people. And yet the exact opposite is happening. And the republican congress, afraid of the attacks we've all seen trump direct at anyone who disagrees with him, is going along with his agenda.

I predicted a lot of bad things from this administration, but I did not think it would get this bad this fast. Let's hope he's just off to a fast start and doesn't continue to wreck our country at his current pace.

Hate to disappoint you but the rabid trump supporters I know are very enthusiastic about everything that has happened so far and are hungry for more.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 2, 2017 - 10:23am.

Looks like there's plenty of support for Trump from the country bumpkins.

Oh God, the woman went to Columbus, OH and thought it was a culture shock. That was in high school!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...

Submitted by zk on February 2, 2017 - 10:38am.

outtamojo wrote:

Hate to disappoint you but the rabid trump supporters I know are very enthusiastic about everything that has happened so far and are hungry for more.

That is disappointing, but not surprising. They're still drinking kool aid and reading Breitbart.

And now that Breitbart's philosophy is official policy (see next post)...

Submitted by zk on February 2, 2017 - 10:36am.

I think I'm going to be sick. It's worse than I thought.

Steve Bannon is running the country.

Trump is not smart enough, energetic enough, willing to work hard enough to come up with any sort of actual strategy. Bannon is all of the above.

Trump will continue to provide us with the worst of himself. Taking any opportunity for self-aggrandizement, taking every opportunity to attack those who disagree with him. Flying, I predict, into a narcissistic rage at some point. Never giving the slightest fuck about our country, only caring about the glory that is himself. All of this will cause massive damage to our country.

But Bannon will be in charge of long-term strategy. He will steer this country toward fascism. On purpose. Trump will be his puppet, oh-so-easily manipulated by the vastly more intelligent and aware Steve Bannon. Right now, Bannon is simultaneously stroking trump's ego and giving him "suggestions." Trump is putty in his hands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/opini...

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 2, 2017 - 10:39am.

Zk, maybe we're out of touch elitists who read wapo and NYT every morning.

What Trump does is one thing. But his supporters..... they are clueless.

Submitted by zk on February 2, 2017 - 10:58am.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Zk, maybe we're out of touch elitists who read wapo and NYT every morning.

What Trump does is one thing. But his supporters..... they are clueless.

I don't think I'm an elitist. Wanting people to be informed does not make one an elitist.

And I think reading wapo and nyt makes us in touch, not out of touch.

Yes, I think trump's supporters are clueless. They are uninformed. They have been manipulated by "alternative facts" and innuendo. And that's only getting worse.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/140162/s...

You've got arguably the most powerful man in Washington (after trump - maybe) with an agenda to make Americans no longer trust the press.

How is this going to end well? Is this what you trump voters wanted? Do you want to be uninformed? Misinformed? Disinformed?

Bannon spent years getting you to hate Hillary. Do you know why you hate Hillary? Because you're Steve Bannon's (and Karl Rove's) bitch:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/17/502413784/...

https://www.google.com/search?q=karl+rov...

And now he wants you to hate the press. And you will. Because you're Steve Bannon's bitch.

Submitted by outtamojo on February 2, 2017 - 12:18pm.

We are going to end up fried by our own nukes and Bannon scouring the countryside with his gun toting alt right army cleansing the ethnically impure through all the smoke and chaos.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 2, 2017 - 12:22pm.

ZK, good observations.
I was talking to my brother about this recently. He mentioned that humans like to belong to tribes. For White non college educated folks (not just them, but they are the group that was large enough to elect Trump), a world based on global values of human rights, education and knowledge, a world based on board liberal democratic values is too abstract. They want a sheriff/strongman like Trump, someone close to them.

A white dude can't ride his pickup (or horse in the times of cowboys) around, bust his ass and make an honest living no more. Now he has to go to school and follow the rules that elitists and lawyers have setup. Rigged economy! The Mexicans, refugees and coastal elites have ruined the country. And China too!

The right wing press and politicians have exploited this ugly human trait.

We like to think that civilization is continuous progress a little at a time, but there are periods of great setbacks. Trump is such setback.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.