Trump Presidency Death Watch

User Forum Topic
Submitted by svelte on July 28, 2017 - 10:03pm

After the first six months of the Presidency that we've just witnessed, what are the chances he's going to make it another 3.5 years?

Any guesses on what will do him in?

Do you still think he'll make it the full term?

I have to say I put the odds he'd leave at not very high until this week...but with the turmoil we're seeing in his staff and the way he attacks even those close to him, I can't see how he is going to attract anyone of any caliber to support him. I really can't.

This is a very amazing thing to watch.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on May 22, 2018 - 5:29pm.

the least china could do is give mexico a discount on building supplies for our wall..

Submitted by zk on May 23, 2018 - 8:39am.

JAFO2018 wrote:
Liberals and Conservatives will never agree, will never bend. They hate each other and the politicians on each side love it that way.

I agree with Charles Krauthammer's take on Trump.

I don't hate conservatives. But I am quite sad that there are so many people in this country who, despite an apparent lack of mental illness, can't seem to tell reality from fantasy. Who are so brainwashed by right-wing media and right-wing social media that they actually believe in the alternate reality that they have been indoctrinated to believe.

You seem to fit into that category, JAFO2018. Charles Krauthammer didn't write that article. Nobody with any sense would write such moronic drivel. You probably saw it on facebook or something and never doubted its veracity. Because you, living in your alternate reality, can't see what nonsense it is. I read it and could immediately see that Krauthammer didn't write it. 14 seconds on google confirmed it. While I disagree with Krauthammer far more often than not, and I do think he is even a bit nutty at times, even he wouldn't write such nonsense.

Trying to give credence to such nonsense by attributing it to someone who has at least a modicum of respect among reasonable people is a typical example of the kind of reality twisting constantly being done by right-wing media and right-wing social media.

I could easily rip that article to shreds. But why would I waste my time? It's just nonsense written by some nut job passed off as something written by somebody semi-reasonable. And the nut job who wrote it isn't here to debate it with me.

Now, JAFO2018, if you're willing to defend that article and debate its merits with me, just let me know.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on May 23, 2018 - 8:42am.

it does seem like the truth is fuzzier than it used to be.

probably in the old days, people were lazy and dumb but at least knew the limits of their knowledge and,trusted reasonable sources.

now, everyone thinks theyre smart because they have a cellphone with all knowledge in it. except me. i have consistently espoused my idiocy since at least 1988.

if i were raising a kid today, itd be books only, i wouldnt let thEm have internet access till age 18.

Submitted by zk on May 23, 2018 - 9:08am.

scaredyclassic wrote:

now, everyone thinks theyre smart because they have a cellphone with all knowledge in it.

I was naive enough to think, back in the late '90s, that this new internet thing would usher in a new era of enlightenment. So much knowledge available to so many people!

I didn't realize just how susceptible people are to believing anyone who is willing to tell them that what they want to be true is actually true.

That should be fox's slogan.

"Only your truth matters. Not the actual truth"

Submitted by scaredyclassic on May 23, 2018 - 9:10am.

its not so terrible, in the sense that it merely highlights what was true all along, which is that there is no objective truth, or maybe even independent facts.

its just a funny, arguably dangerous, way to run a,society, however.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on May 23, 2018 - 11:28am.

zk wrote:

I was naive enough to think, back in the late '90s, that this new internet thing would usher in a new era of enlightenment. So much knowledge available to so many people!

I didn't realize just how susceptible people are to believing anyone who is willing to tell them that what they want to be true is actually true.

That should be fox's slogan.

"Only your truth matters. Not the actual truth"

Not true, ZK. The internet is just a tool. Depends how you use it.

Just think about globalization of education and knowledge. Back after WWII, only kids in advanced countries had access to encyclopedias and libraries. Now, Indians in poor villages can become world citizens. In fact I have Indian neighbors who have advanced degrees thanks to globlization of education. My cleaning lady can FaceTime with her family in Cuba.

The problems with deplorables is that they see many cues that their status is waning, so they cling to backward culture and conspiracy theories. Instead of working hard to better themselves, they romanticize the mob (Trump) who would take care them.

The deplorables choose to be ignorant. Don't blame the media or the Internet. Blame the people who have access to knowledge but choose ignorance. ZK, please don't be such a bleeding heart making excuses for the deplorables.

Submitted by zk on May 23, 2018 - 12:20pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:

Not true, ZK. The internet is just a tool. Depends how you use it.

Well, of course. My point is that way more people than I expected ended up less informed rather than more informed.

FlyerInHi wrote:

Just think about globalization of education and knowledge. Back after WWII, only kids in advanced countries had access to encyclopedias and libraries. Now, Indians in poor villages can become world citizens. In fact I have Indian neighbors who have advanced degrees thanks to globlization of education. My cleaning lady can FaceTime with her family in Cuba.

There certainly are some people who are better informed than before. And that's a great thing. But the fact is that propaganda is much easier to spread now. And millions and millions and millions of people fall for it.

FlyerInHi wrote:

The problems with deplorables is that they see many cues that their status is waning, so they cling to backward culture and conspiracy theories. Instead of working hard to better themselves, they romanticize the mob (Trump) who would take care them.

Agree. But if they didn't have right-wing media pushing those conspiracy theories and helping them romanticize trump and convincing them that minorities and immigrants are to blame for their waning status, then I think they would be a lot more likely to see the truth.

FlyerInHi wrote:

The deplorables choose to be ignorant. Don't blame the media or the Internet. Blame the people who have access to knowledge but choose ignorance. ZK, please don't be such a bleeding heart making excuses for the deplorables.

Well, I don't know if calling them brainwashed is making excuses for them. And that's what I see. When I call them "idiots," I mean it in that sense. But humans in general are idiots in that sense. Most humans are idiots in that sense. I don't see them as being more susceptible to propaganda and brainwashing than other humans. But I do see them as being in a position right now where they're particularly vulnerable to exactly the type of propaganda being spread by a vast and powerful machine.

What gives you the impression that the deplorables choose to be ignorant?

And what do you think their reasons are for making that choice?

Submitted by FlyerInHi on May 23, 2018 - 1:53pm.

ZK, I agree with you. I’m just being facetious.

Right wingers like to blame poor people for being lazy. I just like to throw it back at them. Next time you talk to a deplorable, respond to his complaints with some typical free-market, private enterprise lines. His facial expression will be priceless. Appealing to kindness and compassion doesn’t work with them.

When the deplorables become poorer, more opioid addicted, trashy people.... I hope they take a hard look at themselves, their friends and relatives, and say “yep, we all chose to be this way.” I think kindness is wasted on them. They had the choice to move their lazy asses from coal country to Boston or Silicon Valley for good jobs.

Maybe I don’t have a good read on society. If the prosperity gospel is so good, then I will be proven completely wrong.

Submitted by zk on May 31, 2018 - 5:53pm.

What a great headline:

Trump’s trade policy is stuck in the ’80s — the 1680s

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-t...

Submitted by JAFO2018 on June 12, 2018 - 1:29pm.

I knew Snopes showed it being misattributed. I just like seeing the reactions of the liberals. I could really care less what you think zk. I'll have to leave CA at some point the place is so crazy.

Submitted by zk on June 12, 2018 - 5:11pm.

JAFO2018 wrote:
I knew Snopes showed it being misattributed.

Ha! Bullshit.

JAFO2018 wrote:

I just like seeing the reactions of the liberals.

Well, that gives you the maturity level of about an 11-year-old. Not sure why you'd be so proud of that.

It does give you something to cling to, though, I suppose. The only thing in real life that is going your way politically is that liberals are pissed.

Of course, that's pretty pathetic. You're like a guy who's own house is burning down and he has no insurance, but he's happy because the neighbor he hates got some smoke damage. And your posts here are like you yelling, "take THAT, neighbor!" Brilliant.

JAFO2018 wrote:

I could really care less what you think zk.

Uh, it's "couldn't," JAFO. "Couldn't" care less. Think about it for a sec. Nah, never mind. Thinking is obviously not your strong suit.

Of course you don't want to hear it. Facts and logic and reason that show you that you're detached from reality exert a force to attach you back to reality. And there's a reason you left reality. It's too painful for you.

JAFO2018 wrote:

I'll have to leave CA at some point the place is so crazy.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be much more comfortable for you where large segments of the population share your delusion. Try Alabama.

Submitted by zk on June 15, 2018 - 9:39am.

JAFO2018 wrote:
I just like seeing the reactions of the liberals.

I'm really curious about something, JAFO. I see people say this all the time. But I don't understand it at all. Maybe you can enlighten me.

You like when we say that you're ignorant? That you've stuck your head in the fox propaganda sand and are ignoring reality? That you've voted against your own interests because you've been tricked and manipulated into thinking trump cares about you? That you're extremely pathetic for believing whatever comes out of the mouth of the compulsive liar you elected?

Why do you like it when liberals say those things about you?

That might seem like a rhetorical question. It's not. I really am curious why you and so many others enjoy being called ignorant fools.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.