Trump becoming presidential

User Forum Topic
Submitted by moneymaker on February 7, 2019 - 4:05am

After listening to his speech the other night it struck me that he actually sounded presidential, his delivery was pretty good!He seemed to have a real desire to bring people together rather than cause discord.

Submitted by spdrun on February 7, 2019 - 7:50am.

He just had a better speechwriter and he was threatened with lack of sex by Melania if he didn't stay on topic.

Submitted by zk on February 7, 2019 - 9:02am.

It's hard for me to fathom how anybody can watch and listen to trump for all these years, and then listen to one scripted speech and say, "he seemed to have a real desire to bring people together rather than cause discord." Are you really that easily fooled by a con man? And not even a good con man? Con man don's actions and most of his unscripted words show that bringing people together is the last thing he wants. Dividing people - stoking fear of immigrants and resentment and loathing of liberals and disgust with and fear of "others" in general - is THE central plank of his political platform, and his words and actions outside of his scripted speeches clearly show this.

I thought the insincerity was glaringly obvious. Now, that could be because I'm aware that virtually all of his words and actions outside his scripted speeches demonstrate that he was insincere. But when I listened, he didn't sound sincere at all.

I thought he sometimes sounded like a whiny little bitch, but mostly he sounded like a giant douchebag. And sometimes he sounded lethargic. Also he just sounds like he's not very bright, which I guess is beside the point.

But he didn't overtly rant or rave. It seems that's where a lot of people are currently setting the bar for sounding presidential. Which is pretty sad.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 7, 2019 - 10:52am.

zk wrote:

I thought he sometimes sounded like a whiny little bitch, but mostly he sounded like a giant douchebag. And sometimes he sounded lethargic. Also he just sounds like he's not very bright, which I guess is beside the point.

I agree. He sounds like a deplorable that’s why they love him.
And that’s why whenever I meet a deplorable and he/she bitches about something, often money. I tell him that Trump brought you an “economic miracle” (Trump’s words) so you have nothing to complain about.

Trump is the reason I no longer feel American and have chosen instead be a citizen of the world. Trump has unmasked and enabled the ugly Americans. And we deserve the decline he’s bringing about.

So we have at least 3 people here who disapprove of Trump but actually listened to his speech because he is president. I don’t know of any conservative who listened to Obama speeches in full. I think that says at lot about the different cultures.

Submitted by NeetaT on February 7, 2019 - 10:58am.

I hate to disappoint you guys, but I will vote for him again unless there is a Republican who will hit back at CA harder for it's high tax / high spending policies.

Submitted by spdrun on February 7, 2019 - 11:22am.

Why should states not have the choice to enact high-tax/high-spending policies? Why should some filth in DC be entitled to "hit back" at them for their choices, especially if the state is paying more into DC than it's getting back? Personally, I think places like California would be a hell of a lot better off without a bunch of hayseed politicians in DC telling them what to do. (Calexit 2020!!!)

If you want low taxes, then bugger off and go move to Oklahoma or Arkansas -- don't rely on a Trumpian nanny state in DC to ruin all that's good about CA (decent public transport, public education, healthcare by US standards). Seriously, why are you still in California if you hate it so much?

Submitted by zk on February 7, 2019 - 1:01pm.

NeetaT wrote:
I hate to disappoint you guys, but I will vote for him again unless there is a Republican who will hit back at CA harder for it's high tax / high spending policies.

That's like the town drunk saying, "I hate to disappoint you guys, but I'm going to have another drink." Yeah, we get it. You're an idiot. Although the pride in both cases is amusingly pathetic.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 7, 2019 - 11:59am.

spdrun wrote:

Seriously, why are you still in California if you hate it so much?

Time to throw the-love-it-or-leave mantra back at the real Americans.

Two other things neeta forgets
- states rights that are so dear to the right.
- economics. He’s complaining about CA but in rational economic terms, the NPV or total benefit of staying in CA is superior otherwise he would have left already.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 7, 2019 - 12:13pm.

spdrun wrote:
Personally, I think places like California would be a hell of a lot better off without a bunch of hayseed politicians in DC telling them what to do. (Calexit 2020!!!)

Yes I agree. Would could deport the drug addicts and homeless back to their home states. They are mostly non-California born Americans.

We can have a modern economy with high speed rail links to Canada and Mexico.
Our 21st century internet companies will not have to pay federal taxes but would still be able operate extraterritorially all over the world.

I’d be happy for my federal taxes all going to California.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 7, 2019 - 12:25pm.

spdrun wrote:
He just had a better speechwriter and he was threatened with lack of sex by Melania if he didn't stay on topic.

Melania is a Russian mole working for the KGB/FSB. I mean, come on, she’s from behind the iron curtain. I know because because I read many spy novels.

Submitted by zk on February 10, 2019 - 10:57pm.

Well, in just a few short days since the SOTU, con man don has sent a bunch of tweets that show that he immediately reverted back to his unpresidential ways (if he ever left them). Anybody who is surprised by this, or who thought that trump was “becoming presidential” is a fool.

Let’s check out just a few of his unpresidential tweets since Tuesday:

He exhibited his delusions:

The fact is, when I took over as President, our Country was a mess. Depleted Military, Endless Wars, a potential War with North Korea, V.A., High Taxes & too many Regulations, Border, Immigration & HealthCare problems, & much more. I had no choice but to work very long hours!

He exhibited his ignorance about global warming and mocked a candidate’s appearance:

Well, it happened again. Amy Klobuchar announced that she is running for President, talking proudly of fighting global warming while standing in a virtual blizzard of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Bad timing. By the end of her speech she looked like a Snowman(woman)!

He misrepresented democrats’ positions (and showed his carelessness via yet another typo / spelling error):

The Border Committee Democrats are behaving, all of a sudden, irrationally. Not only are they unwilling to give dollars for the obviously needed Wall (they overrode recommendations of Border Patrol experts), but they don’t even want to take muderers into custody! What’s going on?

He actually believes democrats want a shutdown to change the subject:

It was a very bad week for the Democrats, with the GREAT economic numbers, The Virginia disaster and the State of the Union address. Now, with the terrible offers being made by them to the Border Committee, I actually believe they want a Shutdown. They want a new subject!

He threw out a straw man argument:

Gallup Poll: “Open Borders will potentially attract 42 million Latin Americans.” This would be a disaster for the U.S. We need the Wall now!

He name called:

Today Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to by me as Pocahontas, joined the race for President. Will she run as our first Native American presidential candidate, or has she decided that after 32 years, this is not playing so well anymore? See you on the campaign TRAIL, Liz!

He displayed his ignorance of what happened when republicans had the majority and also projected his 2016 shortcomings onto democrats:

The Democrats in Congress yesterday were vicious and totally showed their cards for everyone to see. When the Republicans had the Majority they never acted with such hatred and scorn! The Dems are trying to win an election in 2020 that they know they cannot legitimately win!

He sucked up to a dictator who starves his people and is developing nuclear weapons:

North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he won’t surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket - an Economic one!

He seemed to forget that the impartial investigation (which he very presidentially refers to as a "witch hunt") into him has yet to conclude:

The mainstream media has refused to cover the fact that the head of the VERY important Senate Intelligence Committee, after two years of intensive study and access to Intelligence that only they could get, just stated that they have found NO COLLUSION between “Trump” & Russia....
...It is all a GIANT AND ILLEGAL HOAX, developed long before the election itself, but used as an excuse by the Democrats as to why Crooked Hillary Clinton lost the Election! Someday the Fake News Media will turn honest & report that Donald J. Trump was actually a GREAT Candidate!

And he has apparently forgotten his birther stance:

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! It should never be allowed to happen again!

Submitted by teaboy on February 11, 2019 - 6:22pm.

let's be realistic, Trump being sycophantic to other despotic world leaders (i.e. Putin, Kim, MBS, etc) is just self-preservation. If he pissed off any of those guys their people could probably quite easily hack and wikileak his tax returns or other even more politically explosive records faster than you could say "President Pence."

tb

Submitted by EconProf on February 11, 2019 - 6:44pm.

There is a malady out there called Trump Derangement Syndrome--TDS, wherein Trump haters lose all semblance of rational thought in their obsession with Trump and Trump supporters. The comments on this thread show this obsession, as expressed by the same commentators whenever the subject of Trump comes up.
This thread was started by Moneymaker, who made a fair observation about the State of the Union Address shared by many. This was mocked by the TDS crowd, as was a fairly innocent comment by NeetaT. TDS folks talk mainly to each other, and can't stand dissent, so they have to squash alternative viewpoints.
Keep it up guys. You are helping Trump win reelection.

Submitted by spdrun on February 11, 2019 - 7:05pm.

I wasn't mocking NeetaT's comment. I was disgusted by it. I like states with public services. Love trains, love riding on trains. Love cheap public universities. Love having a safety net as far as healthcare. I don't think some fucking clown in DC should force the state I live in to lower taxes and get rid of services that are useful to me and that I enjoy.

Submitted by zk on February 11, 2019 - 10:32pm.

EconProf wrote:

There is a malady out there called Trump Derangement Syndrome--TDS, wherein Trump haters lose all semblance of rational thought in their obsession with Trump and Trump supporters. The comments on this thread show this obsession, as expressed by the same commentators whenever the subject of Trump comes up.

If you want to point out any flaws in the rationality of my thought, please do. Allow me to debunk your efforts to this point:
EconProf wrote:

This thread was started by Moneymaker, who made a fair observation about the State of the Union Address shared by many.

Show me the “many” (outside of right-wing propaganda and sycophantic politicians, of course) who thought that “He seemed to have a real desire to bring people together rather than cause discord.”

EconProf wrote:

TDS folks talk mainly to each other,

I’m here talking to you. And I tried to engage neeta several times (although, since he generally doesn't have a counterpoint to my arguments (or anyone else's) debunking his, it’s hard to engage him, so I gave up). I'm always looking for a trump fan to debate. It’s hard finding reasonable trump supporters to talk to. They usually end up ranting and raving and running away. Or they resort to trolling. Stick around, econprof. Stick to reason and logic, and let’s debate.
If you want to do that, I have a few questions for you.

EconProf wrote:

and can't stand dissent,


Can’t stand dissent? I love dissent. I love making counterarguments against trump supporters. I particularly love debating people who have spent most of their time in the right-wing propaganda bubble (and in my experience that seems to include almost all trump supporters at this point). It’s amazing how few of them have heard what I’m saying. They’re not used to actual, reasonable counterarguments to Hannity’s nonsense. They’re used to everybody else agreeing with him. (And that's when the ranting and raving and running away starts.)
EconProf wrote:

so they have to squash alternative viewpoints.

If by, “squash alternative viewpoints” you mean “point out the flaws in their attempts at reason” then, yes. If not, what do you mean by that and where have I done that?

TDS is just another way that trump fans try to discredit negative commentary about trump. “Oh, that guy is obviously outraged; he can’t be making sense.”

Nonsense. I am definitely outraged. Now, show me where I’m not making sense.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 12, 2019 - 12:33am.

EconProf wrote:

Keep it up guys. You are helping Trump win reelection.

Isn’t that what you want? So why write a paragraph bitchimg about something you’re surely glad about.

Econprof’s comment shows how the right wing has given up on reason. All the more ironic, coming for an economics professor. Republicans now believe that nationalism and identity politics can solve technocratic problems.

As an American, I am a sad that the ugly side of our country has been unmasked and enabled
As a citizen, of the world, I’d be kinda glad if Trump gets elected again. The decline of America will show the deplorables some humility. It won’t be bad for the world when real Americans are contained for lack of resources and lack of credibility.

As to Trump’s speech, I love the socialism bit. I say, go for it. Let the deplorables have a good dose of real capitalism to see how they cope. Let’s have some market based economics and stop subsidizing and compelling private companies to service sparsely populated areas.

Personally love AOC’s green new deal because ideologically it excludes the deplorables. They will need to eat a lot of humble pie before they apply for green jobs, drive electric cars, or use LED lights.

Submitted by EconProf on February 12, 2019 - 7:39am.

So far, these comments merely make my point.
Trump Derangement Syndrome
More please.

Submitted by zk on February 12, 2019 - 8:04am.

EconProf wrote:
So far, these comments merely make my point.
Trump Derangement Syndrome
More please.

Ha! Exactly as I thought.

And also exactly like all the other right-wing nutjobs who run away when confronted with reason and logic. You've got nothing, and it shows.

Submitted by outtamojo on February 12, 2019 - 9:34am.

While we are name-calling, what are we calling the opposite of Trump derangement syndrome?

Wanting to vote for someone to "hit back at Ca. harder" is kinda nut-jobbish especially when Ca is admittedly the best place to make your family nut.

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 12, 2019 - 11:55am.

What the heck do LED lights have to do with anything LOL?

Seriously I get them for less than a dollar each these days.

Seems like this election season should be very entertaining with both sides making c##p up LOL.

Seriously this could break the country seems everyone is so desperate about something, everyone go to the extreme, don't listen to the other side LOL...

Submitted by spdrun on February 12, 2019 - 12:40pm.

I hope it does break the country -- California may be better off on its own, without having a millstone around its neck.

Submitted by flu on February 12, 2019 - 2:47pm.

Hate him as much as you do, but my prediction is Trump is going to win a second term for 2 reasons.

1. There are way too many democrat candidates, and will end up splitting the votes.

2. Many of them are ridiculously crazy and do come across as extreme socialists.

AOC is definitely not helping... She's nuts. The Green Deal is nuts. Even Bill Gates thinks she and it is nuts... And it's making the Democrats look like they are nuts.

A lot of Trump haters haven't come to the rationale thought yet....But there are a handful of democrat leaders that if elected would be far more detrimental to the US than Trump could be... Can you imagine someone like AOC at the helm? Insane. And it's because of all these people in the spotlight representing the Democrat party , a lot of voters are going to vote the other way even if they don't like Trump...or not vote at all.

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 12, 2019 - 3:22pm.

"Hate him as much as you do, but my prediction is Trump is going to win a second term for 2 reasons."

1) No Stupid wars.

2) Peace and prosperity are worth something.

Other than that I think the guy is actually nuts too.

Submitted by flu on February 12, 2019 - 3:48pm.

The-Shoveler wrote:
"Hate him as much as you do, but my prediction is Trump is going to win a second term for 2 reasons."

1) No Stupid wars.

2) Peace and prosperity are worth something.

Other than that I think the guy is actually nuts too.

I didn't say he wasn't. I just think this country's leadership fell off the rocker....

I'm laughing at AOC like nutjobs and things like the Green Deal. Did folks read it? Trump is correct. it's nuts.

Let's fast track affirmative action for everything too... lol....

These days I enjoy my life with my net worth reserves. I figure if they come after it, I'll spend it all or convert it to gold and pretend to be broke and have no money. let government take care of me.

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 12, 2019 - 4:14pm.

"I figure if they come after it, I'll spend it all or convert it to gold and pretend to be broke and have no money. let government take care of me."

That is actually not too far fetched LOL.

That is what a lot of Chinese did during Mao's rule.

If they elect one of these AOC types I would not be too surprised to see housing nationalized. (happened in Iran).

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 12, 2019 - 5:05pm.

i am 100 perc. behind the green new deal.

i read it ...well most of it.

fuck cars.

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 12, 2019 - 5:25pm.

Yea it's all kumbaya an all,

But I think it will pretty much mean the nationalization of just about everything.

Kind of like China in some degrees, You only own anything at the pleasure of the gov.

Submitted by spdrun on February 12, 2019 - 7:26pm.

The Green New Deal is not meant as a serious proposal -- it's meant to "ask for 100 things and get 5% of it done." I admire AOC, she's single-handedly pushing the Overton Window in the US to the left.

Bullshit on the "nationalization of everything..."

Why does everyone conflate social democracy with Chinese or Soviet-style authoritarianism? Nationalize housing? Please. You know that the US home-ownership rate is only middle of the pack -- most social-democratic countries (hell, even China), have a higher rate than the USA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...

If people don't have to worry about $500/mo health insurance premiums and $10,000 deductibles, maybe they may actually be able to afford a mortgage. What a thought!!!

Submitted by flu on February 12, 2019 - 8:12pm.

so... for argument sake. what is the big deal about constructing a border wall? Aside from being a wasteful use of funds, it's not like our federal state local governments don't waste money in general. For example, the CA bullet train that just got canned more or less.

It the resistance to a border wall more symbolic versus the actual cost?

Submitted by spdrun on February 12, 2019 - 8:22pm.

The bullet train isn't a waste of funds -- the construction was just grossly mismanaged. A French or Chinese consortium could have done it at 1/4 the cost, but no, we have to "buy American."

I suspect that's the idea -- have the corrupt US contractors build it Merced to Bakersfield, and have a foreign company with actual experience build from Bakersfield to LA. Tracks already exist from Oakland to Merced. With lighter off-the-shelf European trains now being allowed by Federal law, this section could be electrified and used for the northern section to SF, with the "last mile" being along the Bay Bridge.

Submitted by flu on February 12, 2019 - 8:40pm.

just build the damn wall and move on...people are going to end up digging under it anyway . China built one a long time ago.

Call it the Great Wall of America.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.