Stonebridge-Toll Brothers

User Forum Topic
Submitted by localguy on March 3, 2011 - 6:41am

Stonebridge-Toll Brothers. I noticed some activity last week on some of the vacant lots in the neighborhood. Toll Brothers is setting up shop. Checked their website, Building 4,000 sq ft homes, etc...

Submitted by sunny88 on June 30, 2011 - 9:55am.

familyguy wrote:
Very interesting about the viewpoint lots. It's a haul to get back there, but the lots are great.

Access is definitely a drawback but the views are good and if the pricing is reasonable people will buy them especially since interest rates are very low.

Submitted by Navydoc on June 30, 2011 - 10:05am.

Does anyone know if you can cut through MCAS Miramar on Rifle Range road on the way to Balboa? Looks like I'm getting orders back to SD next summer :)!!!! and if I could bypass Pomerado on the way to the 163 Stonebridge is looking like a real possibility for us.

Submitted by familyguy on June 30, 2011 - 12:51pm.

Navydoc wrote:
Does anyone know if you can cut through MCAS Miramar on Rifle Range road on the way to Balboa? Looks like I'm getting orders back to SD next summer :)!!!! and if I could bypass Pomerado on the way to the 163 Stonebridge is looking like a real possibility for us.

Not possible doc...one way in and one way out (unless the fire escape routea are opened and those aren't any easier to travel)

Submitted by ocrenter on June 30, 2011 - 2:28pm.

familyguy wrote:
Navydoc wrote:
Does anyone know if you can cut through MCAS Miramar on Rifle Range road on the way to Balboa? Looks like I'm getting orders back to SD next summer :)!!!! and if I could bypass Pomerado on the way to the 163 Stonebridge is looking like a real possibility for us.

Not possible doc...one way in and one way out (unless the fire escape routea are opened and those aren't any easier to travel)

Pomerado is just bad news, folks traveling south in the AM or into SR in the afternoon should take the Carroll Canyon exit. I wonder why no one ever talk about expending that street.

Submitted by bluehairdave on July 3, 2011 - 12:07am.

Thats why its best to work from home. Not sure id choose to live back there if I didnt but since I do and my wife is stay at home we wanted to get out of the middle of everything like we are now. Hell were just glad to get a pantry!

Submitted by Navydoc on July 3, 2011 - 7:21am.

Not sure I want a parade of women with complicated pregnancies showing up at my door for their ultrasounds or to deliver their babies. It would certainly be convenient, but not quite practical. Not all careers are amenable to working from home.

The wife and I are in town this week visiting her family. I'm going to check out that back route.

Submitted by bluehairdave on July 3, 2011 - 9:23am.

Sure you could! Back east many doctors use their homes as their offices attached. Old school. I guess back then Dr.s did house calls also and a home office/exam room made it more convenient and more practical for expenses I would think.

Haven't seen that in San Diego though. I guess I wouldnt want a doctors office or business near my house either. But you know what that neighborhood could use somewhere in that 6 mile hike is a convenient store and gas station. But cant think of anywhere to put it. It is literally a 6-7 mile drive just to get a gallon of milk. Anyone live there have any place they go in particular for that kind of thing? Not to be too off topic.

Submitted by familyguy on July 4, 2011 - 1:35pm.

bluehairdave wrote:
But you know what that neighborhood could use somewhere in that 6 mile hike is a convenient store and gas station. But cant think of anywhere to put it.

Good point BHD...I have thought that same thing for some time. The empty lot that claims to have a park "coming soon" (right off Stonebridge Parkway about a mile from Pomerado) would be an ideal place for a gas station, 7/11, or am/pm type of thing. There is already a great park in Stonebridge, so I don't really see the need for another one, nor do I see it being built anytime soon either. Anyone have any info on that lot, know when/if they are going to actually put in another park?

Submitted by ocrenter on July 5, 2011 - 7:46am.

familyguy wrote:
bluehairdave wrote:
But you know what that neighborhood could use somewhere in that 6 mile hike is a convenient store and gas station. But cant think of anywhere to put it.

Good point BHD...I have thought that same thing for some time. The empty lot that claims to have a park "coming soon" (right off Stonebridge Parkway about a mile from Pomerado) would be an ideal place for a gas station, 7/11, or am/pm type of thing. There is already a great park in Stonebridge, so I don't really see the need for another one, nor do I see it being built anytime soon either. Anyone have any info on that lot, know when/if they are going to actually put in another park?

personal opinion, but I think most folks in stonebridge would not go for a 7/11 or am/pm there. the snob factor would not allow for that. what will end up there would be some high end stuff or dry cleaner that charges too much. much like the about-to-fail businesses and the empty store fronts at the entry to cielo.

Submitted by localguy on July 5, 2011 - 11:50am.

The park keeps getting pushed out. The last I heard is at the end of 2011 construction will start. No rush. The master plan does not have any commercial building proposed.
Localguy

Submitted by familyguy on July 5, 2011 - 1:25pm.

I can imagine a starbucks up would make a killing there in the mornings.

Submitted by ocrenter on July 5, 2011 - 9:41pm.

localguy wrote:
The park keeps getting pushed out. The last I heard is at the end of 2011 construction will start. No rush. The master plan does not have any commercial building proposed.
Localguy

I wonder how difficult it would be to have the city change the zoning from the original master plan.

Submitted by familyguy on July 11, 2011 - 11:01am.

recordsclerk wrote:
They are having a VIP event on July 9th for those that are on the interest list (RVSP). The 8 floor plans will be unvieled. The 2 models (still under contruction) will be available for viewing. I'm not sure if they will build more models or not. Pricing will start in the mid 800s.

Do you know what the VIP event was? I wonder how it went considering the two models are still not completed?

Submitted by Navydoc on July 11, 2011 - 1:51pm.

I actually went. They had both samples open, even though they're both untaped drywall, and you couldn't go upstairs in the San Clemente model. The first phase is still wide open, and you can put any house on any lot. They are going to have about 70 homes in there when all are finished. I was tempted to put down a deposit, but I really have to wait until I have orders. Besides, some of the later phases look to have nicer lots, but it doesn't appear that really any of them will be bad.

I liked the Toll Brothers elevations a lot more than the other builders that are still available in Stonebridge, namely Serenity and Montoro. We liked the Serenity homes, hated the lots, and we loved the Montoro lots but the houses are kind of meh. I actually think we're going to go Toll Brothers. I've even done a few test commutes, and at the hours I have to do it in, the drive to Scripps hasn't been bad.

Well, back to Maryland tomorrow. Now I just have to survive another year there.....

Submitted by sunny88 on July 11, 2011 - 3:24pm.

We also visited the models and felt that they are probably nicer than the Serenity and Montoro (as far as we could tell as models are not finished yet). The latter phase lots (on the same street as the models) have definitely better views. As far as the pricing goes we felt that you will have to add a lot for upgrades which adds a significant amount to the initial price. Compared to Serenity or Montoro you will get a better quality home for a slightly higher per square foot price. We are strongly considering one of these homes but would like to wait a little to see how the finished models look like.

Submitted by recordsclerk on July 11, 2011 - 3:27pm.

I wasn't able to go. I wonder what the prices were.

Submitted by Navydoc on July 11, 2011 - 3:40pm.

We are strongly considering the San Clemente, Mediteranean elevation, which starts at $874k. This is a 2 story, 4397 sq ft, 4 car garage (2 doubles, not a tandem). Obviously upgrades will add quite a bit, but the Toll standard finishes are already a step up from some other builders.

Submitted by SavvyShopper on July 11, 2011 - 4:29pm.

I also went to see what they really had. I have to say I was dissappointed. The lots (some of them) will be nice, but everything seems to be an add on:Pay x for the plan you want, pay more for the elevation, more for the lot, more for fireplaces, etc, etc. etc. and little or no incentives! After its all added up it will be considerably more than Serenity or Montoro. Then you also have to add in the cost of landscaping! I'm thinking its not enough of a difference in size to warrant 100-150k plus more in prices/incentives. We are looking at a home at Serenity that has front yard landscaping included, plus 25k of upgrades in the home plus a large incentive at a price in the high $800's. Sounding more and more like a good option....

Submitted by Navydoc on July 11, 2011 - 6:35pm.

While I certainly agree that the Serenity homes may be a bit better value (at least for now), but the only plan we like is plan 3, and there's only 1 left in the next (last)phase. The Toll plan allows for any house, regardless of the lot or grading. Also, Toll just opened up shop, I'm quite certain they'll have some incentives down the road once they get things going. I do know from their work back east that they build a damn good house. I actually used to know Bob Toll, and once bought a bottle of wine in Telluride with his credit card. Maybe he'll cut me a deal? Should've written down the number.....

Submitted by kcal09 on July 11, 2011 - 11:26pm.

I think that the Toll lots are nicer than the Serenity ones. Some of the higher ones actually have a decent view.There will be 5 floor plans without a model and the question is how many people will be comfortable buying a house without seeing a model.But you never know, some people have actually bought homes online without ever seeing it!

Submitted by familyguy on July 12, 2011 - 6:30am.

SavvyShopper wrote:
We are looking at a home at Serenity that has front yard landscaping included,....

I just noticed some of the new homes there have nice front landscaping included, much nicer than the typical "builder grade" landscaping one would expect. Unlike the humble landscaping Col Rich used in their homes in Tiburon, these are actually done the way an owner would have it done on their own. Was interesting to see for sure.

Submitted by ocrenter on July 12, 2011 - 7:52am.

familyguy wrote:
SavvyShopper wrote:
We are looking at a home at Serenity that has front yard landscaping included,....

I just noticed some of the new homes there have nice front landscaping included, much nicer than the typical "builder grade" landscaping one would expect. Unlike the humble landscaping Col Rich used in their homes in Tiburon, these are actually done the way an owner would have it done on their own. Was interesting to see for sure.

Seems like serenity strategically picked the two worse lots to do the landscpaing upgrade in the front yard. 1st is a corner lot that have a cell tower jetting into its side. both lots have smaller usable lots with steep slope in the back, along with a house on Carowind very close to the edge of the slope so it would have full view of the two homes.

none of the view lots or even typical lots with slope (but homes on top are not adjacent to the slope line, limiting snooping) were selected for this special "landscaping upgrade."

I think this is a case of trying to dress up the pigs. buyers beware.

Submitted by familyguy on July 12, 2011 - 12:01pm.

You could definitely be right ocr, my only point was that the landscaping itself seemed nicely done, well above the level one would expect to get from the builder.

Of course, as we know the majority of the landscaping that means anything is underground...who knows what schedule PVC they used, how the footers on the hardscaping were done, etc.

Submitted by ocrenter on July 12, 2011 - 12:31pm.

familyguy wrote:
You could definitely be right ocr, my only point was that the landscaping itself seemed nicely done, well above the level one would expect to get from the builder.

Of course, as we know the majority of the landscaping that means anything is underground...who knows what schedule PVC they used, how the footers on the hardscaping were done, etc.

I do agree with that. And while they are better than the typical "free" builder included landscape, they are still quite pedestrian and relatively inexpensive.

I will also say this about Serenity. it may very well still be a viable alternative for buyers, but savvyshopper should really use Toll to exert pressure on Serenity to get the pricing down.

For example, in all likelihood the offerings from Toll will prove to be of better standard and quality. Take a Toll model at $850k on a lot without premium. And compare to Serenity's offering with the front yard landscaped for $880k. Subtract the $30k extra, which is basically the front yard and the kitchen upgrades, I would still say the serenity home is not worth $850k. More like $800k or even high 700k for those two lots prior to the dress up.

So if savvyshopper is willing, I say wait for the Toll models to be built. You'll be able to see for yourself that Toll may be of better quality, and use Toll to drive down the serenity prices by $50k.

Submitted by SavvyShopper on July 12, 2011 - 3:24pm.

But what do you think about waiting past Sept. 30 when the eEconomic stimulus plan expires, so does the larger Jumbo Conforming loans. By waiting I am concerned we will be paying more for the loan both in down payment and interest rates. And on top of all the extras at Toll Brothers, this could get very expensive (150k + more in costs than Serenity) plus a higher interest rate? Not sure it thats the smart thing to do. What do you think?

Submitted by ocrenter on July 12, 2011 - 7:21pm.

SavvyShopper wrote:
But what do you think about waiting past Sept. 30 when the eEconomic stimulus plan expires, so does the larger Jumbo Conforming loans. By waiting I am concerned we will be paying more for the loan both in down payment and interest rates. And on top of all the extras at Toll Brothers, this could get very expensive (150k + more in costs than Serenity) plus a higher interest rate? Not sure it thats the smart thing to do. What do you think?

Well, it depends on your financial status. If you barely qualifies right now, it prob is to your benefit to get the deal done now. But if you got rock solid numbers, it may be to your advantage to wait pass that date. The lower limit on jumbos might actually help you get rid of some competition. Of course, i'm not a loan guy so you will be better of talking to someone in the industry.

My point is this: Toll is going to attract away a lot of your current competition, especially folks who will be able to qualify for the new jumbo range just fine. The only reason serenity has been able to sell at their current pricing point is because there has not been any viable competition nearby. And seriously, serenity homes on lots with deficiencies asking for around $900k? Just not a good deal, period.

Submitted by kcal09 on July 12, 2011 - 7:31pm.

One of the main attraction of the Toll Brother homes is that you can build any model on any lot. Serenity did not have this option. The quality of the Serenity homes is mediocre, Toll has a reputation for good quality homes. I think that as long as they offer some incentives for upgrades they will attract a lot of buyers who are looking for larger homes. The only downside is the remote location and the MR.

Submitted by ocrenter on July 12, 2011 - 7:55pm.

http://www.bubbleinfo.com/2011/07/07/mor...

JTR had a post recently on the new lower limits.

Submitted by recordsclerk on July 15, 2011 - 10:46am.

Floor plans and pricing are now available on their website.

Submitted by ocrenter on July 15, 2011 - 12:42pm.

recordsclerk wrote:
Floor plans and pricing are now available on their website.

In general there's a lot of talk about a single level premium. I don't see this in regard to Toll Brothers pricing.

For example, a 2 story model "Coronado" at 4300 sqft is the same price as the single story "Santa Fe" at 4000 sqft. (the extra 300 sqft is the staircase).

As for lot premium, up to just $20-$45k for a view lot vs non-view lot.

why doesn't Toll charge more for the single story or have a higher premium for view lots, don't we see a higher premium in resales?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.