Right-Wing Media are Destroying Our Country

User Forum Topic
Submitted by zk on May 12, 2017 - 6:41am

For a long time I've been saying that the right-wing media is destroying our country. This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/poli...

Republican voters, being human and therefore credulous and gullible, believe whatever they hear on Fox Propaganda (and Breitbart and the rest of the right-wing media). They support republicans and con man don no matter what they do, because Fox Propaganda tells them republicans and con man don are doing a great job no matter what they do.

As I've said before, I don't think right-wing voters are more credulous than left-wing voters or anybody else. The difference is that there is a massive industry dedicated to right-wing propaganda.

Sure, the left has some propaganda available. But there are big differences between what's available on the left and what's available on the right. Mainly Fox Propaganda, but there is a lot more. Fox Propaganda is propaganda masquerading as real, hard, actual news. And it's the go-to "news" outlet of tens of millions of Americans. The left has nothing like that. Many conservatives will tell you that all of the mainstream media is left-wing propaganda. This is because they believe whatever they hear on Fox Propaganda, which has been peddling that idea since the day they come on the air. And now, you have Breitbart and a thousand other "news" websites, all of which create an alternate universe where a right winger can find all the sources he needs to validate what he's hearing on Fox Propaganda. Many of them have moved past Fox Propaganda and now have Breitbart and similarly virulent right-wing propaganda sites as their go-to "news" outlet. They never want or see a need to read the New York Times or the Washington Post. Why would they read actual news when they have available to them thousands of places that make them feel great about themselves and their ideas? Somewhere where everyone agrees with them?

So now we have a president with fascist tendencies, and a congress afraid to stand up to him, because it will hurt them with their base, because their base loves con man don, and they can's see con man don for what he is because they're watching Fox Propaganda, which is telling them how great he's doing. He's in the process of eliminating governmental checks on his power. There's a good chance he'll succeed, because nobody wants to stand up to him, because that would be an unpopular move with republican voters, who think he's doing a great job because they watch Fox Propaganda.

What happens when you have a fascist president with greatly reduced checks on his power? Unfortunately, I think we're about to find out. And we have right-wing media to thank.

Submitted by zk on August 3, 2017 - 5:19pm.

livinincali wrote:

If you maybe read the first page of the study you'd understand how it was performed, but instead you didn't. The funny thing is it specific talks about how those on classify themselves as far left/liberal are more likely to block or ban someone with an opposing view point.

Damn, cali, every time we do this, your logic fails. Regardless of the subject. Nevertheless, you persist. Good on ya.

You assume I didn’t read the study based on your erroneous conclusion that if I’d read it, I would somehow come to the same (erroneous) conclusion that you did about what the study means.

There is not a single word in that study that says anything about whether the reporting on those outlets is biased one way or the other. The entire study is about how the audiences of those outlets behave. My response to your previous post was that the study had exactly zero to do with the actual reporting by those outlets. If you can show me otherwise, bring it.

livinincali wrote:

Pretty much exactly what you are trying to do here. Let's ban fox news because they disagree with my view point.

Another fail, cali. Show me where I said, discussed, implied, or hinted that I want to ban fox news.

livinincali wrote:

It talks about how people who describe themselves as liberal get information from more sources while the conservatives tend to get there news from Fox. There's some graphs for people in the middle of the spectrum and they seem to go Fox about as much as MSNBC.

You see Fox as having some sort of oversized impact because all the hard core conservatives/right go there while the hard liberal/left spreads it around the left leaning sites. I agree that there isn't a dominate left leaning new network that the left all gathers around but it is what it is. Just because the left doesn't have a fox news equivalent for their view point doesn't mean Fox is destroying the country. They just seized on an opportunity of people consuming media with a selection bias. Conservatives wanted a news channel that agreed with their view point and Fox came along and gave it too them.

All of that is based on your opinion that media outlets that this study says liberals watch are liberally biased. But if your evidence of that is this study, or that fox news told you so, you fail yet again.

Submitted by flu on August 3, 2017 - 7:24pm.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/opinions/l...

Yup. That about sums it up...
Caltech admissions of Asians (where AA is illegal) 43%, significantly up from years past.

Harvard, 18%. Down from years past.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 3, 2017 - 9:56pm.

flu wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/opinions/liberals-affirmative-action-asian-factor-bauerlein/index.html

Yup. That about sums it up...
Caltech admissions of Asians (where AA is illegal) 43%, significantly up from years past.

Harvard, 18%. Down from years past.

Flu contrary to the article, liberals can handle the Asian factor very well. It's just that we want a kinder, gentler society. However, we can compete very well in a hyper competitive setting if that's what people want.

I think White Trump supporters live in the past. There are misinformed about the globalized world so they think tactics of the past continue to work.

Case in point, the new point based immigration proposal is great for upper middle class Asians. They will be able to qualify for green cards at the expense of family immigration and that will raise the bar. Top American cities will become like Vancouver and Toronto. As an educated Asian, enjoy it it. But don't fool yourself into thinking that Trump and his folks support merit. Let the future happen and the xenophobic backlash will be swift.

Flu, you wisely said before that people are all for merit until other people are more qualified.

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 6:06am.

FlyerInHi wrote:
flu wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/opinions/liberals-affirmative-action-asian-factor-bauerlein/index.html

Yup. That about sums it up...
Caltech admissions of Asians (where AA is illegal) 43%, significantly up from years past.

Harvard, 18%. Down from years past.

Flu contrary to the article, liberals can handle the Asian factor very well. It's just that we want a kinder, gentler society. However, we can compete very well in a hyper competitive setting if that's what people want.

I think White Trump supporters live in the past. There are misinformed about the globalized world so they think tactics of the past continue to work.

Case in point, the new point based immigration proposal is great for upper middle class Asians. They will be able to qualify for green cards at the expense of family immigration and that will raise the bar. Top American cities will become like Vancouver and Toronto. As an educated Asian, enjoy it it. But don't fool yourself into thinking that Trump and his folks support merit. Let the future happen and the xenophobic backlash will be swift.

Flu, you wisely said before that people are all for merit until other people are more qualified.

That's bullshit... If you really were kinder and gentler and really cared about the disadvantaged, you wouldn't be taking the easy way out and suggesting an administrative fix (IE lowering the academic standard) to let some people qualify...because if you really did care about their long term future, you would know that if you were to lower the standard, eventually those otherwise ill-prepared people would wash out/flunk out anyway, because they would be ill-prepared for the real world that demands qualified candidates. And then, you would be a in a predicament that you would have to extend that double standard beyond just college, to the workforce and on and on, creating in even more double standards.

If you really were kinder and gentler, you would realize that the only real way to solve this problem, is to catch the disadvantaged when they are young, and give them the necessary support for a good education, when their parents and their environment can't. You would spend a considerable amount of your free time volunteering to teach those disadvantaged while they are young, so they can catch up by their own merit and effort, such that when it came time to adulthood like college admissions/employment, they can compete based on their merit they built themselves (with your initial help)... So that no double standard would need to exist at the higher/adult level, and no one can question whether the adult really was qualified or not. You would do this, especially if you were retired or semi-retired, and didn't have that much of a busy schedule in your own life, for the better-ment of those disadvantaged that you care so much about.

Until this year, I spent 6-8hrs per week teaching robotics, STEM science/math to kids, mainly because there are lot of kids who don't have parents that have the educational level to teach them...Even in a district that CarmelV, you find out the majority of parents, their math/science skills/ability start to taper off around 4th-5th grade level... Example: some parents had to review what "order of operations" are in math, something they teach starting end of 4th beginning of 5th her. 30minutes-1hour of math lesson to 25+kid by one teacher is not going to cut it for most kids that don't have the benefit of a parent that can supplement in class instructions.S a lot of kids, irrespective of color, are at a disadvantage.

If you really really care about the disadvantaged, ask yourself how much time are you willing put into helping out the disadvantaged kids each week...And not having a STEM background is not an excuse for not doing it. I work with one parent volunteer who had no formal engineering/stem training. Her career was in human resources. She ended up learning everything she avoided learning when she was a student, in order to teach. Her teams i Science Olympia usually does pretty well, considering it's a team of elementary school kids that ends up competing against junior high teams...and her science field day teams, at worst, comes in 3rd or 2nd, and usually comes in first. What is surprising is, while my kid's class, there's a lot of parents that volunteer to teach, that supplements those at a disadvantage.....There's a lot less volunteers kids 5 years younger...It's almost like pulling hair. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable leaving education strictly to the hands of public schools. What really makes a difference between a lot of these high performing school districts and the not-so-high performing school districts have less to do with the teachers and the school, and much more to do with how much the parents are involved. We pick up a lot of temporary students in rental communities for our schools that don't permanently stay in our school, and they end up doing just as well because the efforts of the rest of the parents involved.

The time you spend coming to this blog to vent about Donald Trump, you could actually be doing something that actually benefits the people you say should be helped.

Submitted by zk on August 4, 2017 - 6:29am.

flu wrote:

...you would know that if you were to lower the standard, eventually those otherwise ill-prepared people would wash out/flunk out anyway, because they would be ill-prepared for the real world that demands qualified candidates. And then, you would be a in a predicament that you would have to extend that double standard beyond just college, to the workforce and on and on, creating in even more double standards.

That is the main reason I'm against affirmative action.

flu wrote:

...the only real way to solve this problem, is to catch the disadvantaged when they are young, and give them the necessary support for a good education, when their parents and their environment can't.

And I totally agree that this is what we should do instead. Well put, flu.

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 7:13am.

Looks like flu successfully moved this thread to his favorite topic.

BTW, why is "oriental" not politically correct but "asian" is ok?

My grandmother used the term "oriental" all her life, without malice.

Here's the answer: Because oriental means eastern, which implies that Europe is the center of the world.

Somehow, somewhere, some orientals..errr... I mean, asians got upset about the etymology of a word and demanded to be called asians.

And it stuck.

(Nevermind that a significant population of Asia isn't, well, "asian.")

Who comes up with this stuff? Who has the time and energy to care?

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 7:44am.

harvey wrote:
Looks like flu successfully moved this thread to his favorite topic.

BTW, why is "oriental" not politically correct but "asian" is ok?

My grandmother used the term "oriental" all her life, without malice.

Here's the answer: Because oriental means eastern, which implies that Europe is the center of the world.

Somehow, somewhere, some orientals..errr... I mean, asians got upset about the etymology of a word and demanded to be called asians.

And it stuck.

(Nevermind that a significant population of Asia isn't, well, "asian.")

Who comes up with this stuff? Who has the time and energy to care?

It's not my favorite topic. Favorite topic would be something pleasant to deal with. I consider this a gross social injustice. It's the only thing I consider to be a gross social injustice in this country, continuously perpetrated by the extreme far left. (moderate left usually don't believe in affirmative action as it stands today)
It had an impact on me (to a lesser extent), and It has a direct impact on my kid.

Regarding oriental versus asian. Actually, a lot of this came out of the progressive camp. It apparently offends some people. Semantics. I really don't care frankly about this nit picking semantics.

Here's food for thought. Here's two things someone can say:

1: you can have someone say something that is non-PC but had no intention of offending....

2: you can have someone say something 100% PC, but said in a way to be offensive.

Case#1: is a product of someone's ignorance. It's not a big deal.

Example, someone in middle america completely obvious to PCness and didn't know times have changed and says oriental instead of asian in the context of an otherwise harmless sentence....
For example: "your oriental daughter is polite and well mannered, she's a doll"

Ok, really? Are you going to make a big deal about this?

Case#2: is more interesting. It's more subtle, and you might not realize it first. But it's something carefully crafted under the guise of being PC, but when in reality it is far more menacing.

For example: "Because all Asian Americans are good at math and science (not true, that's a generalization)....we need to encourage diversity in engineering and science to others and give opportunities to underrepresented minorities"
That's a complete PC thing to say.. It's also completely racial.

Example 2 is far more alarming to me than example 1, as it should be to just about every other asian american.

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 8:15am.

I'm just ribbing you dude.

I'm also against affirmative action of any sort, but c'mon, "gross social injustice?"

Put it in the context of our history and it's only a minor social injustice.

Fortunately we live in an age where most social injustices are minor.

You do know our history ... I thought you orientals were supposed to be smart?

But back on topic...sorta. Yes, the PC nonsense is ridiculous. The actual impact on people's lives is minor in the big picture but as your posts illustrate, many people perceive it as affecting them far more than it does.

It bugs people. It bugs me.

If the next Democratic presidential candidate were to call bullshit on identity politics, they would win by a landslide.

Submitted by livinincali on August 4, 2017 - 10:52am.

zk wrote:

There is not a single word in that study that says anything about whether the reporting on those outlets is biased one way or the other. The entire study is about how the audiences of those outlets behave. My response to your previous post was that the study had exactly zero to do with the actual reporting by those outlets. If you can show me otherwise, bring it.

The study takes people that view themselves in 5 distinct categories. Very left, moderate left, middle, moderate right, and far right. It asks them what their view is of each news network. Those on on the far left had a untrustworthy view of Fox and like far right programming. The far right distrusted most news outlets to the far left. Those in the moderate categories and middle took exception with far right and far left media but most of the mainstream media was fine including regular old Fox news. If that's not a measure of how the general public perception of bias I don't know what is.

The fact that you take so much exception with news media on the right probably means you really probably are in the far left category. You might not view yourself as far left but relative to the general US population you probably are. That's probably why you and some of the other posters see this asymmetrical bias you like to claim. You see yourself as the middle but don't realize that you're actually on the far left compared to the general population.

I view myself as pretty middle moderate left on social issue, but far right on fiscal issues, but know know maybe I really am moderately right on social issues compared to the general population. How do I quantify that, since it's a measure that relative to everyone else.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 4, 2017 - 11:35am.

Flu, affirmative action doesn't lower academic standards. They are min standards above which student can be successful.

There is more to life than academic achievement, and people can be very productive with lower scores. Plus academic achievement is something accumulated in childhood. Adults do change.

But I understand that scores are objective measures and can be easily pointed to. It's easy to say that a 4.0 GPA should be admitted over a 3.7 GPA.

What about the concept that private institutions should be able to admit whoever they want without oversight from Uncle Sam? Should Christian schools who accept some public funds be forced to admit Muslim students who wear the hijab?

And where do the lawsuits stop? Can employers be sued for not hiring and promoting the "most qualified" candidates? I guess the dumb kids of the founder are out of a job.

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 11:38am.

zk wrote:

There is not a single word in that study that says anything about whether the reporting on those outlets is biased one way or the other. The entire study is about how the audiences of those outlets behave. My response to your previous post was that the study had exactly zero to do with the actual reporting by those outlets. If you can show me otherwise, bring it.

Emphasis mine.

livinincali wrote:
The study takes people that view themselves in 5 distinct categories. Very left, moderate left, middle, moderate right, and far right. It asks them what their view is of each news network. Those on on the far left had a untrustworthy view of Fox and like far right programming. The far right distrusted most news outlets to the far left. Those in the moderate categories and middle took exception with far right and far left media but most of the mainstream media was fine including regular old Fox news. If that's not a measure of how the general public perception of bias I don't know what is.

Key word: The reporting. Which you didn't mention at all in your response.

If your description of the study is true, all it says is that people who describe themselves as far left disagree with far right opinions, and vice versa. Not very insightful.

Here's what's going over so many heads here: It's not the viewers that make an outlet left/right/moderate, it's the content.

[Insert link to video of dog chasing tail...]

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 11:43am.

FlyerInHi wrote:

What about the concept that private institutions should be able to admit whoever they want without oversight from Uncle Sam? Should Christian schools who accept some public funds be forced to admit Muslim students who wear the hijab?

Very few colleges are wholly separate from government funding. In fact, none that anybody cares about are.

There's research funds, student aid, infrastructure provided by the local communities, etc....

Sure there are a few grey areas, but any major college is going to have to comply with federal discrimination laws in just about anything they do. There's no sensible way around it.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 4, 2017 - 12:40pm.

harvey wrote:
FlyerInHi wrote:

What about the concept that private institutions should be able to admit whoever they want without oversight from Uncle Sam? Should Christian schools who accept some public funds be forced to admit Muslim students who wear the hijab?

Very few colleges are wholly separate from government funding. In fact, none that anybody cares about are.

There's research funds, student aid, infrastructure provided by the local communities, etc....

Sure there are a few grey areas, but any major college is going to have to comply with federal discrimination laws in just about anything they do. There's no sensible way around it.

Yes I understand that. I was just playing the devil's advocate.

Likewise, any company of any size has government contracts and subcontracts. Even a church school has property tax breaks. "Where does government intervention" stop as conservatives like to say?

Given limited slots, do schools eliminate preferential treatment for children of "important" people in favor of the most academically gifted? I don't think "important" people would like their kids excluded, or are they a class apart?

Btw, why does the Trump base care so much about Harvard.? Their kids will never get in, The parents don't have enough money and the kids are not smart enough. It's a kind of a retrograde cultural sense that Whites are superior but suffer reverse discrimination. But the world has changed..... Asians would benefit from changes at Harvard, not Whites.

So flu..... enjoy the win. But don't think the Trumpistas are on your side. When Foxconn opens the factory in WI, and the chinsese restaurants proliferate, Asians kids get in the best neighborhoods and schools, Chinese families flash their Mercedes and LV, the rumblings will begin, never mind capitalism and/or merit.

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 1:15pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Flu, affirmative action doesn't lower academic standards. They are min standards above which student can be successful.

There is more to life than academic achievement, and people can be very productive with lower scores. Plus academic achievement is something accumulated in childhood. Adults do change.

But I understand that scores are objective measures and can be easily pointed to. It's easy to say that a 4.0 GPA should be admitted over a 3.7 GPA.

What about the concept that private institutions should be able to admit whoever they want without oversight from Uncle Sam? Should Christian schools who accept some public funds be forced to admit Muslim students who wear the hijab?

And where do the lawsuits stop? Can employers be sued for not hiring and promoting the "most qualified" candidates? I guess the dumb kids of the founder are out of a job.

Like I said. If you really care about the disadvantaged, you would stop talking theory, and start volunteering. But I am guessing like many that talk about affirmative action and the disadvantaged, very few actual bother to lift a finger to do the real things that would make a difference.

With that, end of discussion. I hope the Justice Dept is successful in completely ripping this bullshit to shreds.

And after that is done, it can go after every u.s. company that also has a underrepresented minority hiring practice.

And lastly..Brian, people like you are exactly why Donald Trump won. A lot of people hate people like you that tries to create and "solve problems" by with easy "solutions", yet ineffective solutions that screw someone else over on the process and doesn't really solve the real issue, besides pandering to the least informed minorities that buy into your "solutions" that don't work. It's no different that.trimp pandering to the illinformed middle America.

And because of that, all of us have to put up with Trump for the next 4 years definitely and possibly 8 if you keep up shoveling the bullshit from the waco extreme far left.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on August 4, 2017 - 1:42pm.

Easy solutions? Affirmative action has been around for decades and benefited Asians as the beginning. Now the world has changed. New Asian immigration and the tiger focus on education has raised the bar.

The justice department's investigation of Harvard, a private institution, is the easy solution and may have unintended consequences.

In the future, could a company be sued for promoting someone with only a BS over an MS? Where does it stop?

Oh, flu... please explain why the Trump base cares so much about Harvard. Maybe you have better insight into their psychology.

And BTW, I'm all for IQ being the determining factor for rewards in society.... that brings up other issues such as the estate tax. It's really not fair for rich parents to leave an inheritance to their dumb kids, is it?

And if IQ were the determining factor, Trump would not be president.

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 1:48pm.

flu wrote:
Like I said. If you really care about the disadvantaged, you would stop talking theory, and start volunteering.

C'mon flu, that's a pretty weak use of logical fallacy.

Tu quoque
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Submitted by millennial on August 4, 2017 - 2:47pm.

Was going to start quoting people but there are too many points on here that I would like to address.

Firstly - Harvey you are a either a racist (if white), or a complete a-hole!

Ignorant people will use the term "oriental" instead of "Asian" because they don't know any better, like your mom or maybe someone that lives in the South, or Midwest. That is fine - those people are just ignorant. For you to come back with an etymological rationale of why "Asians" should be OK with the term "oriental" is neither here nor there. You seemingly understand that the term is not correct when referring to "Asian Americans" yet you continue to use the term "Oriental" in reference. Is this because you think you are better? That you have the power to start calling people things after knowing they don't like to be called it? You are a complete a-hole and if I was at a party with you I would either (a) punch you in the face, or (b) feel bad cause someone else just knocked you the eff out. Would love for you to come to my hometown by Detroit and start throwing the N word around and continue to use it after throwing out the etymological root of the word - would be great!

Secondly, flu get off your high horse. Yeah I get that you volunteer in your kid's school and that some parents can't remember 4th or 5th grade math. So what! I can't remember some of the stuff my 4th grader brings home either and I'm a god damn genius (ha)! To be honest, a lot of the s*it doesn't matter. Being Asian American, what my role model parents taught me was that grit and self control are way more important. This being said, those kids in Carmel Valley will do fine. Why? Because either their parents are smart,(professionals who understand hard work, good role models (moved to area and paying extra rent so kids can be in a good school), rich (parents can pay for outside tutors), or all of the above. What you don't understand are places like Detroit, Chicago, or Flint where the kids, teenagers, etc. don't have role models, money, or smart parents. These kids are so disadvantaged that for them to get an 800 on their SAT would put them in the 95% percentile. Is it there fault? Does it make America a better country when these people fall into a perpetual cycle of poverty with no way out because they were never taught that you need to multiply and divide before adding? My opinion, but maybe you should think about things like this before being all hell bent on destroying any idea similar to affirmative action.

Your viewpoints may be based on when your family immigrated to the US. I understand that a lot of recent Asian immigrants came from educated backgrounds (eg. doctors, nurses, engineers, etc.) which could explain our differences in opinion. My father's family immigrated from Asia over 100 years ago. Those that did faced many injustices, and worked very hard to fight through them; probably with some help through affirmative action and other social programs. Are they necessary now? Certainly not for some of the rich immigrants coming from abroad. Does it make sense for some new disadvantaged class? Maybe. What makes America great is the possibility that one can move from one social class to another through hard work and grit. With college education playing such an important part, I really think that not assisting those that are disadvantaged is not right and will harm us as a whole.

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 2:56pm.

millennial wrote:
Was going to start quoting people but there are too many points on here that I would like to address.

Firstly - Harvey you are a either a racist (if white), or a complete a-hole!

Ignorant people will use the term "oriental" instead of "Asian" because they don't know any better, like your mom or maybe someone that lives in the South, or Midwest. That is fine - those people are just ignorant. For you to come back with an etymological rationale of why "Asians" should be OK with the term "oriental" is neither here nor there. You seemingly understand that the term is not correct when referring to "Asian Americans" yet you continue to use the term "Oriental" in reference. Is this because you think you are better? That you have the power to start calling people things after knowing they don't like to be called it? You are a complete a-hole and if I was at a party with you I would either (a) punch you in the face, or (b) feel bad cause someone else just knocked you the eff out. Would love for you to come to my hometown by Detroit and start throwing the N word around and continue to use it after throwing out the etymological root of the word - would be great!

Secondly, flu get off your high horse. Yeah I get that you volunteer in your kid's school and that some parents can't remember 4th or 5th grade math. So what! I can't remember some of the stuff my 4th grader brings home either and I'm a god damn genius (ha)! To be honest, a lot of the s*it doesn't matter. Being Asian American, what my role model parents taught me was that grit and self control are way more important. This being said, those kids in Carmel Valley will do fine. Why? Because either their parents are smart,(professionals who understand hard work, good role models (moved to area and paying extra rent so kids can be in a good school), rich (parents can pay for outside tutors), or all of the above. What you don't understand are places like Detroit, Chicago, or Flint where the kids, teenagers, etc. don't have role models, money, or smart parents. These kids are so disadvantaged that for them to get an 800 on their SAT would put them in the 95% percentile. Is it there fault? Does it make America a better country when these people fall into a perpetual cycle of poverty with no way out because they were never taught that you need to multiply and divide before adding? My opinion, but maybe you should think about things like this before being all hell bent on destroying any idea similar to affirmative action.

Your viewpoints may be based on when your family immigrated to the US. I understand that a lot of recent Asian immigrants came from educated backgrounds (eg. doctors, nurses, engineers, etc.) which could explain our differences in opinion. My father's family immigrated from Asia over 100 years ago. Those that did faced many injustices, and worked very hard to fight through them; probably with some help through affirmative action and other social programs. Are they necessary now? Certainly not for some of the rich immigrants coming from abroad. Does it make sense for some new disadvantaged class? Maybe. What makes America great is the possibility that one can move from one social class to another through hard work and grit. With college education playing such an important part, I really think that not assisting those that are disadvantaged is not right and will harm us as a whole.

fvck you too.

I didn't bother to read this. Beyond getting off my high horse. No high horse. But
none of you dicks do shit to help out the the situation.

I'm out...Bye. Enjoy the next 4 years. You've definitely earned them.

Submitted by millennial on August 4, 2017 - 2:59pm.

flu wrote:
fvck you too. I'm out...Bye. Enjoy the next 4 years.

WTF? Where did I say that I like Trump? The truth of the matter is I despise him. You on the other hand have just proven to be very close minded to other's opinions. In fact your response kinda had the same tone of a Trump tweet.

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 3:15pm.

millennial wrote:
flu wrote:
fvck you too. I'm out...Bye. Enjoy the next 4 years.

WTF? Where did I say that I like Trump? The truth of the matter is I despise him. You on the other hand have just proven to be very close minded to other's opinions. In fact your response kinda had the same tone of a Trump tweet.

You come here to judge. Get off of your rocker thinking you're open minded. You aren't. No one posting on this thread is. This is the problem. If people's opinion don't jell, you immediately throw the "you'll close minded" flak (at me)... or you're a racist flak (at harvey). Nice how labels the far left throw around, huh?

This is EXACTLY the problem politics have. The only good it does is polarizing in america.

I have big issues with affirmative action, because like I said. Why the fvck should my kid have to work twice as hard to get the same results as someone simply because they aren't asian? I didn't enslave any african americans, or latinos.. Why am I making reparations for things I didn't do? I never asked for a quota helping my kid. I just want a level playing field. What the fck is wrong with that?

People like you are exactly the problem why people are sick of the left side.
Even some moderates.

I care about my kid's future. Even if my kid isn't gifted. If you don't give a shit, that's fine. Give up your kid's admission slot to my kid, for the greater good others.
Don't volunteer my kid to do it. It's not your choice to make for my kid.

My comments at volunteering BTW were directed at Brian. Because his is a perfect example of talking out of his ass about helping out "poor minorities" but doing so in such way that it doesn't impact him but screws over anyone else without care. That's being a selfish POS. Of course, when the tables are turned, and things get thrown at him, he bitches about how unfair things are (like when his neighbors threw a bunch of building inspections and permit requirements for a remodeling he didn't get approval for)...That's hypocrisy.

I don't know what you do or don't do to help people our, or if you want to. I don't give a hoot what you do frankly.

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 3:13pm.

millennial wrote:
Ignorant people will use the term "oriental" instead of "Asian" because they don't know any better, like your mom or maybe someone that lives in the South, or Midwest.

We've had some pretty heated debates on this site for years.

But you are certainly the first person to insult someone else's mother.

L O fucking L!

Quote:
Would love for you to come to my hometown by Detroit and start throwing the N word around and continue to use it after throwing out the etymological root of the word - would be great!

It gets better....YOU ARE CLAIMING STREET CRED!

Glad I checked in one more time today...the absolute best of Piggington right here.

Holy shit, I can't stop laughing!

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 3:20pm.

harvey wrote:
millennial wrote:
Ignorant people will use the term "oriental" instead of "Asian" because they don't know any better, like your mom or maybe someone that lives in the South, or Midwest.

We've had some pretty heated debates on this site for years.

But you are certainly the first person to insult someone else's mother.

L O fucking L!

Quote:
Would love for you to come to my hometown by Detroit and start throwing the N word around and continue to use it after throwing out the etymological root of the word - would be great!

It gets better....YOU ARE CLAIMING STREET CRED!

Glad I checked in one more time today...the absolute best of Piggington right here.

Holy shit, I can't stop laughing!

Three words:

Over sensitive millennial.

I guess I'm just narrow minded...Lol.

I must be a trump lover.... If I don't agree with affirmative action, I must love trump. and be narrow minded.

Again, and people wonder why trump won? No room for moderation. No room for the middle. It's not just the press. It's people. Every single person on this thread is responsible for the shit we are in.

You ignore people's grievances, whether it's some white rural guy in nowhere america, or some asian american that feels screwed over by ridiculous affirmative action...one day things blow up.. and what you are left with is something on the alt-other side.....

Submitted by millennial on August 4, 2017 - 3:21pm.

Yes exactly I'm judging you and Harvey. When someone misuses the term "oriental" I inform them. When someone does it purposely and labels you and tells you how you should feel about a word; I call them out. I hope you would do the same for your kids too.

The reason I call you out is because of statements like this.

"Like I said. If you really care about the disadvantaged, you would stop talking theory, and start volunteering. But I am guessing like many that talk about affirmative action and the disadvantaged, very few actual bother to lift a finger to do the real things that would make a difference."

In this quote it makes you sound like you are assuming that no one volunteers because they don't agree with your thoughts regarding affirmative action. It also makes you sound like you volunteering time in your son's classroom somehow validates your credentials and your points.

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 3:30pm.

millennial wrote:
Yes exactly I'm judging you and Harvey. When someone misuses the term "oriental" I inform them. When someone does it purposely then I call them out. I hope you would do the same for your kids too.

The reason I call you out is because of statements like this.

"Like I said. If you really care about the disadvantaged, you would stop talking theory, and start volunteering. But I am guessing like many that talk about affirmative action and the disadvantaged, very few actual bother to lift a finger to do the real things that would make a difference."

In this quote it makes you sound like you are assuming that no one volunteers because they don't agree with your thoughts regarding affirmative action. It also makes you sound like you volunteering time in your son's classroom somehow validates your credentials and your points.

He was being a fvcking smart ass. Are you really making a big deal out of this? Sheesh.

No, I was not assuming no one volunteers. that was your ASS-umption.
I was INSISTING * BRIAN * doesn't do shit, despite his high chair far left progressive left bullshit that keeps coming out of his mouth.....specifically when it comes to "disadvantaged children"..

Notice, brian is dead quiet about this.... He's going to go into hiding now, because he knows I just called him out on his bullshit. And he hasn't done shit to help out disadvantaged people ,despite his progressive "higher level of understanding and sympathy".....

(Still waiting for a response brian...)

Unfortunately, you misread that, and/or you just sided with whatever you wanted to believe in. And then you went off on your high horse about certain people being narrow minded and harvey being a racist.

The irony. Look in the mirror dude. You are part of the problem.

Truthfully, unlike brian, I'm not saying I go out of my way to help disadvantaged children. The only reason why I do it is because (1) it benefits my kid the most and (2) it benefits some of my kid's friends who happen to not be all from the same background. He and YOU are the one that keeps bring up how we need to help disadvantaged children. I haven't asked YOU what you have done (I don't care).. Again, what have you done Brian to do what you preach?
(Cricket's chirping...)

Submitted by millennial on August 4, 2017 - 3:31pm.

harvey]</p> <p>We've had some pretty heated debates on this site for years.</p> <p>But you are certainly the first person to insult someone else's mother.</p> <p>L O fucking L[quote]</p> <p>Not an insult, just called her ignorant. </p> <p>First time in a long time that I needed to tell an adult how to behave properly and explain why it's not right to throw labels at other people. Regardless how they thought.</p> <p>[quote=harvey wrote:

It gets better....YOU ARE CLAIMING STREET CRED!

Glad I checked in one more time today...the absolute best of Piggington right here.

Holy shit, I can't stop laughing!

Just trying to help you. If you don't believe me, why don't you try and run outside and call every non-pc name in the book. After they say they don't like it. Go ahead and tell them the meaning and proceed to call them it again. Let me know how it goes. I can't believe there are people like you in this world still.

Submitted by millennial on August 4, 2017 - 3:30pm.

.

Submitted by flu on August 4, 2017 - 3:33pm.

millennial][quote=harvey]</p> <p>We've had some pretty heated debates on this site for years.</p> <p>But you are certainly the first person to insult someone else's mother.</p> <p>L O fucking L[quote wrote:

Not an insult, just called her ignorant.

First time in a long time that I needed to tell an adult how to behave properly and explain why it's not right to throw labels at other people. Regardless how they thought.

harvey wrote:

It gets better....YOU ARE CLAIMING STREET CRED!

Glad I checked in one more time today...the absolute best of Piggington right here.

Holy shit, I can't stop laughing!

Just trying to help you. If you don't believe me, why don't you try and run outside and call every non-pc name in the book. After they say they don't like it. Go ahead and tell them the meaning and proceed to call them it again. Let me know how it goes. I can't believe there are people like you in this world still.

Help??? Is that what you call it? Seriously?

Hasn't it occur to you some older people are oblivious? I guess you missed my point above between being ignorant offensive versus being subtle and intentionally offensive...

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 3:35pm.

Quote:
Yes exactly I'm judging you and Harvey. When someone misuses the term "oriental" I inform them. When someone does it purposely and labels you and tells you how you should feel about a word; I call them out. I hope you would do the same for your kids too.

Nah, I let my asian wife handle disciplining the kids.

(Did I say that right?)

millennial wrote:
The reason I call you out is because of statements like this.

"Like I said. If you really care about the disadvantaged, you would stop talking theory, and start volunteering. But I am guessing like many that talk about affirmative action and the disadvantaged, very few actual bother to lift a finger to do the real things that would make a difference."

[Lecture omitted for brevity]

Lol, try reading again.

I didn't post that. Blinded by your indignity?

So tell us, guardian of cultural sensitivity: Do you know when Americans stopped using the term "oriental" to describe ethnic origin and started adopting the term "asian?"

(Still laughing at the street cred....gonna fire up some urban rap music while I wait for your response....)

Submitted by millennial on August 4, 2017 - 3:41pm.

flu wrote:
The irony. Look in the mirror dude. You are part of the problem.

No people like you are the problem. You use rationale like "I help kids at my son's school" as support to an argument. Give me a break. Finally you agreed that the only reason is for ME, ME, ME. I think that's where we differ in opinion. This is not a Trump thing, or left or right thing, it's a selfish thing. Maybe it's a difference in culture, or the way we were brought up. It's OK, there are many many more people that feel and act the way you do.

Submitted by harvey on August 4, 2017 - 3:51pm.

millennial wrote:
No people like you are the problem.

What a pathetic ad-hominem.

WTF does that even mean, that a person is "the problem?"

If anyone could be "the problem," that person sure in hell is not flu.

Lighten up kid, and have a laugh:

https://vimeo.com/61499874

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.