San Diego Housing Market News and Analysis
paying off the mortgage...
User Forum Topic
Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 12, 2017 - 10:16am
ive generally been opposed to the idea. interest rate only 3.375%. however...
1. new,tax situation has me rethinking things.
2. could be a goal for us to tighten our belts,and save toward a goal. say, 4 years of being cheap....we have no real reason to save above 401k contributions...i feel more comfortable saving hard than just spending freely.
3. if we dont, the money may be frittered away on kitchen remodels,vacation, clothing, fencing, etc.
4. on the other hand, the mortgage payment might become relatively so low in the future. less,than half a future soc sec payment? would be cool to be old and have a laughably low house payment, if things work out that way.
5. and the dems could change any tax plan changes now, later.
6. the urgency is just giving my wife a compelling reason not to spend $ we have.
7. it would be cool to not pay interest. its about 1500 a month just interest right now. wed need to earn of about 5 perc pretax to earn a 3.375 perc return.
8. im not sure id be that much more relaxed without the mortgage. still paying taxes ins. maintenance. still a lot.
9. one is never really free.
10. life is,short, maybe it would be better to pay a price to consume now.
~Active forum topics~