OT: Who Will Biden Pick For VP?

User Forum Topic
Submitted by svelte on July 25, 2020 - 1:02pm

Just a few weeks away from finding out who Biden will pick as VP. Any guesses?

Submitted by svelte on July 25, 2020 - 1:03pm.

Here is a name I hadn't heard before: Karen Bass.

On the surface, she looks like she'd be a great pick. Of course she has had virtually no vetting in the press - once that happens it might be a whole different story.

But on the basis of this article alone, I like her.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/24...

Submitted by Coronita on July 25, 2020 - 3:03pm.

Duckworth.

She fits my litmus test of the safest approach.

1. Moderate.
2. Decorated veteran.
3. Tough.
4. Woman.
5. Minority, but wouldn't polarize the voters with BLM.

Like I said before, the safest approach would be Biden to pick a female running mate that is part Asian American. He meets his promise of picking a female and a minority without picking someone polarizing like Harris.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on July 25, 2020 - 8:43pm.

Andrew cuomo. Yeah hes a guy.

Submitted by spdrun on July 25, 2020 - 10:44pm.

Cuomo's an authoritarian, corrupt pigfucker. I mean, his response to COVID was better than other states', but prior to COVID, he looted NYC transportation funds, stalled on marijuana legalization, and generally played upstate against NYC.

He's also focusing on minutiae in the state's COVID response (what kind of food has to be served with outdoor drinks, no joke) instead of realizing that hospitalization rates are still falling in NY with existing policy and enacting stricter policies to contain imported cases.

There's a $2000 fine for not quarantining if you come from a hotspot state, but this is barely enforced. I'd like to see a requirement that all airlines using indoor air terminals in NY state have to require proof of a negative COVID swab no more than two days before boarding in addition to quarantine. That way, we'd be less likely to be landing flights of people where half the passengers have been exposed into NY state. Ideally, he'd work with NJ and New England states towards a uniform policy on this.

If countries like Taiwan, St. Lucia, and Croatia can do this, why can't we?

Submitted by svelte on July 26, 2020 - 2:59am.

Coronita wrote:
Duckworth.

She fits my litmus test of the safest approach.

1. Moderate.
2. Decorated veteran.
3. Tough.
4. Woman.
5. Minority, but wouldn't polarize the voters with BLM.

Like I said before, the safest approach would be Biden to pick a female running mate that is part Asian American. He meets his promise of picking a female and a minority without picking someone polarizing like Harris.

You know, on the surface Harris should be someone I like. If I read her bio, I should be thumbs up.

But I'm not. I can't put it into words, but something about her rubs me the wrong way. She certainly could be a great VP candidate, but I dunno. I sense something wrong.

Submitted by svelte on July 26, 2020 - 3:01am.

spdrun wrote:

If countries like Taiwan, St. Lucia, and Croatia can do this, why can't we?

OK mofo. you've said who it shouldn't be.

go on record for who it SHOULD be.

Submitted by svelte on July 26, 2020 - 3:07am.

Coronita wrote:
Duckworth.

She fits my litmus test of the safest approach.

1. Moderate.
2. Decorated veteran.
3. Tough.
4. Woman.
5. Minority, but wouldn't polarize the voters with BLM.

Just read her wikipedia. I'd be thumbs-up for Duckworth.

Submitted by kcal09 on July 26, 2020 - 12:31pm.

This is wrong with Kamala Harris:
She is an opportunist who gave Biden a hard time during the debates.
I wrote her off the minute she attacked fellow Democrats instead of showing she could effectively compete against Trump. I never looked back or gave her another consideration. She provided talking points and video for the Republicans to use against Democrats which is unforgivable.

Submitted by spdrun on July 27, 2020 - 9:29pm.

OK mofo. you've said who it shouldn't be.

go on record for who it SHOULD be.

In a perfect world? Yang or Fauci.

Submitted by svelte on July 28, 2020 - 8:42pm.

spdrun wrote:

OK mofo. you've said who it shouldn't be.

go on record for who it SHOULD be.

In a perfect world? Yang or Fauci.

Not bad choices. I don't know much about either, but on the surface they seem fine.

Submitted by svelte on July 28, 2020 - 8:42pm.

kcal09 wrote:
This is wrong with Kamala Harris:
She is an opportunist who gave Biden a hard time during the debates.
I wrote her off the minute she attacked fellow Democrats instead of showing she could effectively compete against Trump. I never looked back or gave her another consideration. She provided talking points and video for the Republicans to use against Democrats which is unforgivable.

Yeah, I have to say that took me back as well.

Submitted by svelte on July 31, 2020 - 4:13pm.

Karen Bass is still a strong contender

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/...

And Mcconnell is telling republicans they can head for the hills if they need to

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/...

Submitted by Coronita on August 1, 2020 - 1:54pm.

svelte wrote:
Karen Bass is still a strong contender

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/...

And Mcconnell is telling republicans they can head for the hills if they need to

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/senate-mcconnell-trump-firewall/index.html

Biden probably was going to pick her...until they found out she is a Scientologist... Hence why I think Biden is delaying the decision another week.

Uh...no. Pass on Bass. If you guys thought religion was bad, I can't think of how Bass would be a good candidate. She just failed the "safe" litmus test.
Biden picking Bass is almost a guaranteed loss. The atheists/agnostics will hate her. Any moderate swing voter that has any sort of religion will hate her..And given Biden is old, whoever he picks there is a high chance she will end up being president ..Bass is a non start.

Harris is also a bad pick.

Still think Duckworth is the safest bet.

Submitted by spdrun on August 1, 2020 - 2:14pm.

What's wrong with Warren?

Submitted by sdrealtor on August 1, 2020 - 3:05pm.

Coronita wrote:
svelte wrote:
Karen Bass is still a strong contender

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/...

And Mcconnell is telling republicans they can head for the hills if they need to

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/senate-mcconnell-trump-firewall/index.html

Biden probably was going to pick her...until they found out she is a Scientologist... Hence why I think Biden is delaying the decision another week.

Uh...no. Pass on Bass. If you guys thought religion was bad, I can't think of how Bass would be a good candidate. She just failed the "safe" litmus test.
Biden picking Bass is almost a guaranteed loss. The atheists/agnostics will hate her. Any moderate swing voter that has any sort of religion will hate her..And given Biden is old, whoever he picks there is a high chance she will end up being president ..Bass is a non start.

Harris is also a bad pick.

Still think Duckworth is the safest bet.

Bass is a Baptist. She was speaking at a scientology church reopening as part of her office.

Submitted by svelte on August 1, 2020 - 8:12pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
Coronita wrote:

Biden probably was going to pick her...until they found out she is a Scientologist... Hence why I think Biden is delaying the decision another week.

Bass is a Baptist. She was speaking at a scientology church reopening as part of her office.

That is correct.

If the worst they can come up with is that she gave a speech at the opening of a Scientology church, I bet that means she's pretty squeaky clean.

I think the reason for the delayed announcement is to get all the potential dirty laundry out there and see how the public reacts. That is why Kamala released her former employee from the NDA this week...we'll see what comes of that.

Personally, to me it looks like both Harris and Bass are probably top contenders.

Submitted by svelte on August 1, 2020 - 8:23pm.

spdrun wrote:
What's wrong with Warren?

She's a one trick pony. She certainly hates the banking industry and wall street. But that's really all she's got.

I think I turned the corner on her when I found out she had filled out applications stating she was Native American. Surely she knew that was a very minor part of her DNA and filled it out that way anyway.

And if she didn't know, well that leads me to question her ability to do math considering she had to know who her parents and grandparents were.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 1, 2020 - 9:48pm.

Forgiving all student loans makes me sad. She seems like she will not help me one bit.

I think for my age and income vracket, id like trump to die, ill vote romney

Submitted by svelte on August 2, 2020 - 11:19am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
id like trump to die, ill vote romney

I like Romney alot, he always chooses his own path, not the party line. I respect that a lot. And much of what he says I agree with.

I would have voted for him except I liked Obama better. Had it been a Romney vs Hillary contest, I would have voted Romney.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 2, 2020 - 12:31pm.

Now im pro duckworth

She gave birth at 50, vet with no legs.

First infant on senate floor. She tweeted a pic of her kids outfit, inc tiny blazer, per Senate rules

Good story.

Plus shes good looking.

Now ill be sad if its not duckworth.

Make pence look like the little tiny twerp he is.

Question. Is IVF covered under senators insurance? How exavtly did she pay for this?

Egg-gate.

Submitted by spdrun on August 2, 2020 - 12:37pm.

IVF is under 50 grand and covered by some insurance. Loans are available for such things.

Submitted by sunny88 on August 2, 2020 - 2:11pm.

svelte wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
id like trump to die, ill vote romney

I like Romney alot, he always chooses his own path, not the party line. I respect that a lot. And much of what he says I agree with.

I would have voted for him except I liked Obama better. Had it been a Romney vs Hillary contest, I would have voted Romney.

I liked Romney a lot too. He is a decent politician which is very hard to find nowadays and he had the backbone to stand up against Trump.

Submitted by svelte on August 4, 2020 - 8:34am.

An interesting read and sounds correct to me.

Does Trump have the ability - and the will - to change course? We'll see in the next 2-3 months.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/04...

Submitted by spdrun on August 4, 2020 - 11:44am.

Are you actually hoping for President Cockwomble to remain in office for another four years, svelte?

Submitted by Coronita on August 4, 2020 - 12:14pm.

spdrun wrote:
Are you actually hoping for President Cockwomble to remain in office for another four years, svelte?

Glad you are feeling better and safer from NYC so that you can resume your previous demeanor of being less fearful :)

Submitted by spdrun on August 4, 2020 - 12:27pm.

I was never all that fearful of contracting the virus nor was I stuck at home for months. Diamond Princess statistics were available back in early March and didn't support a high fatality rate.

We'll likely see an 0.5 to 1.0% infection fatality rate in NYC (all ages, all health status, but heavily skewed towards older and sicker patients) when all is said and done.

I took reasonable hygienic precautions e.g. mask use, handwashing, etc, but was otherwise out and about outdoors.

I'm more fearful of the way the virus is being exploited, how it may affect people whom I like, etc than catching the virus directly. My concern is that 40 million people have likely already been exposed, and at current rates, we'll have another 40-60 million exposed by election time, so 25-30% immunity.

At that point, especially with improved mask use, viral spread will dramatically slow. If there's a rush-job vaccine "ready for release" by late October, Trump will take credit for stopping the virus, and there's no shortage of cultists willing to vote for him.

What will that get us? Another four years of dismantling and weakening government services like Dept of Ed, USPS, CDC, Amtrak, FDA, etc. But, yay, at least we'll have a Space Force! Bully for us!

Submitted by Coronita on August 4, 2020 - 12:28pm.

It just seemed during the peak of covid, you definitely appeared to be more,shall I say, compassionate. I mean you went from wishing people would catch covid and become sterile (before covid hit NYC hard) to suddenly showing empathy for those that actually caught it... I guess things are back to normal now in NY..

Submitted by spdrun on August 4, 2020 - 12:42pm.

I never felt much compassion towards Trump or his enablers. I feel even less now. We're literally talking about policies that gamble with the long-term survival of life on Earth.

I still think of a reduction in human fertility as one possible positive consequence of COVID. We're literally deforesting and fossil-fueling ourselves into catastrophe .. if human population keeps growing, it will crash hard and unpleasantly.

Climate change is real and (IMHO) unavoidable without strict control of human population. Humans are apparently too inflexible and short-sighted to support rapidly moving to more carbon-neutral technologies and changing their modes of living to avoid contributing to deforestation (less meat, less disposable furniture).

We're unwilling to enact strict anti-birth (one or two child limit per couple) policies, so a natural fertility reduction event may be the only hope for the long-term survival of the Earth's ecosystem.

Heathrow and Cambridge hit 100F last month. Paris is supposed to rise into the 90s later this week. Madrid was hitting the low 100s fairly consistently last month. This is more frightening than COVID.

Submitted by Coronita on August 4, 2020 - 12:35pm.

They say a quick brush with death make people better, because it humbles people. It makes people realize of their own humility and frailness, and it makes people more tolerant of other people, as distasteful as some may be. This is most exhibited during a time of crisis especially those that are right in the middle of one.

Using the most recent examples, I would say that still holds pretty true, at least for most people....

Glad you are feeling better and life can resume as before....

Submitted by spdrun on August 4, 2020 - 12:41pm.

One can be as tolerant as possible of differing opinions, but also recognize that the prevalence of those opinions will make it impossible to avert ecological catastrophe. This can be an extremely depressing thought -- we'll get through COVID, but we're still stuffed since people will want to get back to an unsustainable illusion of normalcy.

Maybe the Earth is really a large organism and COVID is its antibody against a virus. I wish that COVID could teach us to act less like a virus and more like a symbiote.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.