Ot: roller skating at a rink.

User Forum Topic
Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 21, 2022 - 1:17pm

Wow. It's fun.

I think I'm gonna get some skates and skate all the time.

Submitted by JPJones on August 22, 2022 - 9:32am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
Wow. It's fun.

I think I'm gonna get some skates and skate all the time.


Heck yeah! Start doing squats and get a bosu ball to work on ankle strength when you're home daydreaming about a good skate while all the rinks are closed. Ice skating is my zen thing, but knees and hips are prone to injury without at least a little conditioning.

Submitted by teaboy on August 22, 2022 - 10:34am.

Yes, ice skating is super fun ...as an annual or bi-annual event.

tb

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 22, 2022 - 1:24pm.

JPJones wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
Wow. It's fun.

I think I'm gonna get some skates and skate all the time.


Heck yeah! Start doing squats and get a bosu ball to work on ankle strength when you're home daydreaming about a good skate while all the rinks are closed. Ice skating is my zen thing, but knees and hips are prone to injury without at least a little conditioning.

going round and round in circles, hour after hour, till midnight, music on, people weaving in and out, felt like I was in an altered state.

Submitted by JPJones on August 22, 2022 - 6:02pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
JPJones wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
Wow. It's fun.

I think I'm gonna get some skates and skate all the time.


Heck yeah! Start doing squats and get a bosu ball to work on ankle strength when you're home daydreaming about a good skate while all the rinks are closed. Ice skating is my zen thing, but knees and hips are prone to injury without at least a little conditioning.

going round and round in circles, hour after hour, till midnight, music on, people weaving in and out, felt like I was in an altered state.


And it's low impact to boot! Great for the core and the spirit! It's the perfect exercise.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2022 - 10:08am.

I WISH TO DANCE ON SKATES

Submitted by gzz on August 23, 2022 - 1:51pm.

I go to the Joan Kroc ice rink. Tip: go during a school day. Weekends and summer there are too many reckless tykes.

Used to go to the one in the UTC mall about once a year, but now it is like $24 for 2 hour session.

That’s not completely unreasonable, but it kills the spontaneity since if you get there halfway into a free skating period during a shopping trip, it becomes more like $50 for two people to skate for 45 minutes. And if I am actually planning something, might as well just plan to go to the bigger cheaper and nicer Kroc rink.

Speaking of this, I recently saw the Ray Kroc movie that featured Joan as a main character. Really well written and acted and better than “a movie about Ray Kroc” sounds.

My last year of law school Justice Kagan set up an ice rink directly outside my dorm. I got some skates on ebay and went almost every day:

“ The plans for the rink have been implemented with unusual swiftness.

Kagan came up with the plan on Monday, according to Senior Facilities Manager John Holleram, and by noon Tuesday the rink was already under construction.

The rink is expected to open early next week.

“We were trying to open this weekend,” said a construction worker at the site. “Now we’re shooting for next Wednesday.”

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2004/...

Now that’s a leader!

Linda Vista’s skateworld is great, it seems to keep going out of business and then returning. Whenever I went there were some really good skaters doing tricks and dancing to disco.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.