OT: Predictions for 2016 Presidential Election

User Forum Topic
Submitted by svelte on December 11, 2015 - 7:41am

I apologize in advance for bringing up the topic (it is sure to be over-discussed next year!), but now is a good time to make predictions.

The primaries start in just a few weeks and bring clarity to who will be the final candidates.

So now is the opportune time to make predictions: who will be the final, post-convention candidate selections for US President of the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, and any other party you which to mention?

Bonus points for specifying who their running mate will be!

Submitted by NotCranky on February 10, 2016 - 8:37am.

Seems to me like Bernie is the type that will get killed if he wins. I don't want that to be my prediction, but it makes me wonder.

Submitted by svelte on February 10, 2016 - 6:04pm.

Blogstar wrote:
Seems to me like Bernie is the type that will get killed if he wins. I don't want that to be my prediction, but it makes me wonder.

I totally agree blogstar. Can't imagine him winning the race for president.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 10, 2016 - 9:50pm.

Don't you guys think that Trump supporters and Sanders supporters agree on the same things?

The "Trumpeters" want a bad-ass American way. They don't like the word "socialism".

Sanders supporters are young, earthy crunchy, they don't mind the "socialist" label.

So the 2 groups have different lifestyles. But they agree on the big issues.

Submitted by spdrun on February 10, 2016 - 10:06pm.

If Sanders has an accident, I hope it leads to mass demonstrations that shut this fuckin country DOWN.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 11, 2016 - 11:22am.

I have been hearing lots of Sanders ads in Nevada. Nevada used to be a very White state but it's now much more Hispanic. When i watch Univision, I see that Hispanics are mostly focused on immigration.
Not sure if Sanders connects with Hispanics; but If he wins Nevada, he will get the nomination.

Trump will take Nevada because the Republicans like his braggadocio.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/us/pol...

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 11, 2016 - 11:13am.

spdrun wrote:
If Sanders has an accident, I hope it leads to mass demonstrations that shut this fuckin country DOWN.

He is old. And old people do have fatal accidents.

He was pretty good at basketball... So he has some years left.

Campaigning is tiring. Not sure I'd have the energy for that.
So kudos to Sanders.

Submitted by spdrun on February 11, 2016 - 11:15am.

He's more spry than Clinton who's widely reported as not being so healthy.

Submitted by ltsddd on February 11, 2016 - 9:49pm.

Watched part of the debate tonight. My conclusion, the republicans may have a brain surgeon as a presidential candidate, but the two most intelligent presidential candidates, by a big margin, are obviously from the democratic party.

Submitted by NotCranky on February 11, 2016 - 10:20pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
spdrun wrote:
If Sanders has an accident, I hope it leads to mass demonstrations that shut this fuckin country DOWN.

He is old. And old people do have fatal accidents.

.

You're already covering for when the Clintons knock him off.

Submitted by NotCranky on February 11, 2016 - 10:20pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
spdrun wrote:
If Sanders has an accident, I hope it leads to mass demonstrations that shut this fuckin country DOWN.

He is old. And old people do have fatal accidents.

.

You're already covering for when the Clintons knock him off.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 11, 2016 - 11:36pm.

ltsdd wrote:
Watched part of the debate tonight. My conclusion, the republicans may have a brain surgeon as a presidential candidate, but the two most intelligent presidential candidates, by a big margin, are obviously from the democratic party.

I agree.

Sanders is not saying how he will get his ideas passed. Obama couldn't get an infrastructure bill passed, one that would have benefited economic growth and business. How will Sanders get anything done?

But I like Sanders because he speaks truth to power. I sent him some money because he deserves it.

Clinton is too lawyerly. She looked like the queen who was perfectly dressed by a lady's maid. Sanders is dischivelled, with bad suit, bad shirt and bad tie. But he speaks the truth. It's refreshing to hear.

Submitted by svelte on February 14, 2016 - 1:24am.

svelte wrote:

The biggest issue in this coming election, for me anyway, is who I want to make the Supreme Court choices for the next 4-8 years.

Can I call'em or what???

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 14, 2016 - 9:15pm.

You sure called it.

I'm really enjoying this election year. The best in my lifetime, so far. So many twists and turns.

I'm feeling good about myself and the economy. I'm gonna to stock up on popcorn and enjoy the show.

Submitted by poorgradstudent on February 15, 2016 - 2:08pm.

The Nevada Democratic caucus on February 20th will be interesting, simply because Hillary and Bernie look like they're in a dead heat. Will they split the vote again, or can one of them build an edge?

On the same day there's the Republican primary in South Carolina, which Trump looks like he's going to win... but by how much? It looks nice to win on paper with 1/3 of the vote, but until he can get closer to a plurality of voters it just looks like we're killing time until the Establishment settles between Rubio, Bush and Kasich. Cruz of course is the wild card, but enough of the party elites would probably just say "Whatever, Trump" than support Cruz as an Anti-Trump.

Then at the end of the month the Democrats get their turn in South Carolina. Right now the polls have Hillary winning there almost 2:1. That could be when she starts rolling towards Super Tuesday.

Submitted by no_such_reality on February 15, 2016 - 3:03pm.

JIMHO, but McConnell signed express tickets to loserville for many republicans come this fall with his premature declaration that the President shouldn't nominate and that they won't take action.

If he follows through and Obama nominate any but the most activist of liberal justices too much energy will be driven into the dens and moderates which will go to the polls and spank anything with a R by their name.

Submitted by poorgradstudent on February 16, 2016 - 5:25pm.

no_such_reality wrote:
JIMHO, but McConnell signed express tickets to loserville for many republicans come this fall with his premature declaration that the President shouldn't nominate and that they won't take action.

If he follows through and Obama nominate any but the most activist of liberal justices too much energy will be driven into the dens and moderates which will go to the polls and spank anything with a R by their name.

I don't share your enthusiasm. I don't think most moderate voters care *that* much about the Supreme Court, much less the Supreme Court nomination process.

Mark Kirk of Illinois has already laid the groundwork to break from his party if he needs to. There's a couple vulnerable Republican Senators who could be hurt a little bit if this battle gets ugly down the road. But end of the day it could be the difference between 52 and 51 Republican Senators, which is not optimal for that Republican who loses their seat, but probably worth the cost for Mitch.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 17, 2016 - 2:36pm.

I watched Rubio railing against Obamacare and Dodd-Frank. People were roused.

I'm pretty politically aware, but I'm not really sure what Dodd-Frank does other than financial regulations.

What exactly does Dodd-Frank do that is so offensive to Republicans?

Also in political talk, what often repeated words do you like?

I love the word "optics". I'm hearing the word "vessel" used more often now. Like "Trump is the vessel for the disenchanted"

I hate the world "segue". People would try to be smart and says "let's segway to the next topic"

Submitted by livinincali on February 17, 2016 - 2:46pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:

I'm pretty politically aware, but I'm not really sure what Dodd-Frank does other than financial regulations.

What exactly does Dodd-Frank do that is so offensive to Republicans?

The banking lobbyists are telling them it's not good and those precious campaign contributions from the big banks have string attached.

Submitted by bearishgurl on February 20, 2016 - 1:44pm.

WOW, it looks like all the fun has moved over to FIH's neck of the woods.

Will you be finding the time to caucus or attend an event, brian? I wouldn't mind attending one should this train end up in SD (late May?).

As a registered Independent, I'm really paying close attention to the issues this year. First and foremost, I would like to see and hear the plans of candidates on how they intend to repeal the ACA and what they propose to replace it with. As flyer commented on another thread, it is going to decimate the finances of the 55-64 year-old set within another 2-3 years if left unchecked. No doubt about it. The "boomer captive audience" is being gouged by highway robbery. As far as everyone else who has an exchange plan (incl boomers), by 2018, I predict our choice of providers is going to be cratered to such as extent that there will be absolutely no benefit to having a nationwide PPO over a small regional EPO or even a locked HMO, such as Kaiser.

It's going to be an interesting year ....

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 20, 2016 - 7:51pm.

I'm in SD for a couple weeks, so no partying in Vegas.

Poor Bush is all I can say.

Submitted by kcal09 on February 21, 2016 - 12:12am.

I like Trump... I don't agree with everything he says... he's crude, rude and crass. But I believe him when he says he is going to make good deals for our country... because he will have the best business people in the world making those deals... that he will bring jobs back to the US. He is not beholding to anyone, and I like that too. Say what you want, he is not a moron. A good economy, with people working good jobs, and a lot of our current problems go away,
Remember Bill Clinton... "It's the economy, stupid" ... duh... and he left with a balanced budget and an economy that was a lot better than it is today... after Bush and the Obama trashed it... You say Reagan set it up for Bill, ok, fine, no argument...It is the economy, stupid. Trump isn't stupid.

Submitted by paramount on February 21, 2016 - 12:34am.

2400 years ago, Aristotle on Trump

“The type of character produced by Wealth lies on the surface for all to see. Wealthy men are insolent and arrogant; their possession of wealth affects their understanding; they feel as if they had every good thing that exists; wealth becomes a sort of standard of value for everything else, and therefore they imagine there is nothing it cannot buy. They are luxurious and ostentatious; luxurious, because of the luxury in which they live and the prosperity which they display; ostentatious and vulgar, because, like other people’s, their minds are regularly occupied with the object of their love and admiration, and also because they think that other people’s idea of happiness is the same as their own. It is indeed quite natural that they should be affected thus; for if you have money, there are always plenty of people who come begging from you. Hence the saying . . . ‘whether it was better to grow rich or wise . . . . I see the wise men spending their days at the rich men’s doors.’ Rich men also consider themselves worthy to hold public office; for they consider they already have the things that give a claim to office . . . . The wrongs they do others are not meant to injure their victims, but spring from insolence or self-indulgence.”

Submitted by harvey on February 21, 2016 - 8:05am.

kcal09 wrote:
I like Trump... I don't agree with everything he says... he's crude, rude and crass. But I believe him when he says he is going to make good deals for our country... because he will have the best business people in the world making those deals... that he will bring jobs back to the US. He is not beholding to anyone, and I like that too. Say what you want, he is not a moron. A good economy, with people working good jobs, and a lot of our current problems go away,
Remember Bill Clinton... "It's the economy, stupid" ... duh... and he left with a balanced budget and an economy that was a lot better than it is today... after Bush and the Obama trashed it... You say Reagan set it up for Bill, ok, fine, no argument...It is the economy, stupid. Trump isn't stupid.

"You say Reagan set it up for Bill ..."

I didn't say that.

It's laughable that anyone believes Trump has a plan to create jobs in America.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 21, 2016 - 10:55am.

Republicans really need to stop talking about Reagan. Makes them sound old.

My 17 year old niece (she won't be voting this year) cannot even relate to Madonna. Reagan who?

Submitted by NotCranky on February 21, 2016 - 11:38am.

Hillary will be the next president unless she gets extremely sick or dies.

Submitted by ltsddd on February 21, 2016 - 12:05pm.

I find it mind boggling that Republicans, for 8 years, have been lamenting the state of the union with Obama at the helm. Yet, when the opportunity comes to "right the ship", they pretty much laid an egg wrt to the candidates. It speaks a lot when Trump is the most "votable" from the group.

BTW., is it just me or Ted Cruz has a very annoying voice? I thought I was going to get a seizure a few times listening to his debates/speeches.

Submitted by outtamojo on February 21, 2016 - 12:18pm.

kcal09 wrote:
I like Trump... I don't agree with everything he says... he's crude, rude and crass. But I believe him when he says he is going to make good deals for our country... because he will have the best business people in the world making those deals... that he will bring jobs back to the US. He is not beholding to anyone, and I like that too. Say what you want, he is not a moron. A good economy, with people working good jobs, and a lot of our current problems go away,
Remember Bill Clinton... "It's the economy, stupid" ... duh... and he left with a balanced budget and an economy that was a lot better than it is today... after Bush and the Obama trashed it... You say Reagan set it up for Bill, ok, fine, no argument...It is the economy, stupid. Trump isn't stupid.

Trump the businessman? Try googling Trump bankruptcies. Fortunate for him there was a government safety net.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 21, 2016 - 12:48pm.

outtamojo wrote:

Trump the businessman? Try googling Trump bankruptcies. Fortunate for him there was a government safety net.

If Trump had invested the hundreds of millions he inherited, and had just continued to buy NY real estate, like his dad did, he would have more money today, without doing much work. Trump took unnecessary risks and rode the real estate market up and down.

Many NY real estate families are richer, but they don't have the flash and name recognition of Trump.

You could argue that the Trump brand is worth a lot, but when he dies, I doubt the brand will have enduring value.

Trump's personality very is compatible with the brash, "cowboy" American lower-class mentality. It doesn't matter that he's not a policy expert, that he flip flops. All that matters is that he's saying: "don't fvck with America, because we will destroy you; and we will win, and win big!"

George W. Bush had a "don't mess with Texas" attitude. That's why he won.

Jeb wears nerdy glasses and that turns off people.

Submitted by paramount on February 21, 2016 - 1:09pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
outtamojo wrote:

Trump the businessman? Try googling Trump bankruptcies. Fortunate for him there was a government safety net.

If Trump had invested the hundreds of millions he inherited, and had just continued to buy NY real estate, like his dad did, he would have more money today, without doing much work. Trump took unnecessary risks and rode the real estate market up and down.

Many NY real estate families are richer, but they don't have the flash and name recognition of Trump.

You could argue that the Trump brand is worth a lot, but when he dies, I doubt the brand will have enduring value.

Trump's personality very is compatible with the brash, "cowboy" American lower-class mentality. It doesn't matter that he's not a policy expert, that he flip flops. All that matters is that he's saying: "don't fvck with America, because we will destroy you; and we will win, and win big!"

George W. Bush had a "don't mess with Texas" attitude. That's why he won.

Jeb wears nerdy glasses and that turns off people.

I agree and that was my point about Aristotle:

Trump per Aristotle: arrogance, insolence, self-indulgence while considering himself worthy to hold public office.

Maybe he's not so different than other politicians: currently we have an office holder who seeks and enjoys a luxurious/royal lifestyle at tax payer expense.

As mentioned, I think some of that brashness comes from dealing in the NY/NJ cut throat commercial real estate world.

Submitted by paramount on February 21, 2016 - 1:10pm.

paramount][quote=FlyerInHi wrote:
outtamojo wrote:

Trump the businessman? Try googling Trump bankruptcies. Fortunate for him there was a government safety net.

If Trump had invested the hundreds of millions he inherited, and had just continued to buy NY real estate, like his dad did, he would have more money today, without doing much work. Trump took unnecessary risks and rode the real estate market up and down.

Many NY real estate families are richer, but they don't have the flash and name recognition of Trump.

You could argue that the Trump brand is worth a lot, but when he dies, I doubt the brand will have enduring value.

Trump's personality very is compatible with the brash, "cowboy" American lower-class mentality. It doesn't matter that he's not a policy expert, that he flip flops. All that matters is that he's saying: "don't fvck with America, because we will destroy you; and we will win, and win big!"

George W. Bush had a "don't mess with Texas" attitude. That's why he won.

Jeb wears nerdy glasses and that turns off people.

I agree and that was my point about Aristotle:

"Trump per Aristotle: arrogance, insolence, self-indulgence while considering himself worthy to hold public office."

Maybe he's not so different than other politicians: currently we have an office holder who seeks and enjoys a luxurious/royal lifestyle at tax payer expense.

As mentioned, I think some of that brashness comes from dealing in the NY/NJ cut throat commercial real estate world.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.