OT: Gay Marriage

User Forum Topic
Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 6:04pm

So.....Hmmmmm......eerrrr.

What will the effect of legalizing gay marriage (or, to quote South Park "butt buddies") be on:

-interest rates
-shadow inventory
-Pakistan's support of the Taliban
-our right to bear arms
-our right to arm bears
-moving to Temecula
-Newtosandiego's hatred of everything
-Iphones
-Rich "death from above" Toscano's habit of banning any dissent
-American's getting fatter
-Orange county's prices
-4s ranch
-Mexican Cartels
-My son's fingerpainting

Discuss

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 6:06pm.

Also, I am writing this as my wife and son are driving down to meet me at my office to join the march.

Everybody walking by is wearing rainbow stuff, helicopters are overhead, and the upstairs neighbor for our office has turned on the bubble machine.

Freakin zoo around here.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 6:07pm.

actually the zoo is about 4 blocks down.....

Submitted by meadandale on August 4, 2010 - 6:34pm.

Listen up Sacramento...I've decided that from now on I will vote NO on everything you float as a proposition. You've clearly shown that there is no point in voting for anything you put on the ballot because anything that some special interest group disagrees with will just be stricken down anyways.

Yo pot smokers...remember this lesson when your proposition comes up for a vote and don't get too excited. Even if it passes I'm betting it won't make it through the appeals process.

Gotta love the land of fruits and nuts...clearly there were lots of both involved in today's ruling.

Submitted by ybitz on August 4, 2010 - 6:40pm.

Gay marriages are going to jack up single family home prices in San Diego. Marriage tends to lead to new household creation, which tends to led to single family home purchases over condo/townhomes. There, that's my prediction :)

I have a feeling this thread is going to become a flame-war...

Submitted by tc on August 4, 2010 - 6:47pm.

I think interest rates will become Fabulous.
Shadow Inventory will be renamed Rainbow Inventory.
Who needs arms when they are gay?
We can arm bears to fight the Taliban monkey fighters.
Newtosandiego might give in to his/her gay tendencies and finally be happy.
Droids will take over.
No comment about rich (I don’t want to get kicked)
Americans will start to lose weight for a change.
Mexican Cartels will move to OC and 4s.
Your sons finger-painting will be even more amazing.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 7:39pm.

ybitz wrote:
Gay marriages are going to jack up single family home prices in San Diego. Marriage tends to lead to new household creation, which tends to led to single family home purchases over condo/townhomes. There, that's my prediction :)

I have a feeling this thread is going to become a flame-war...

That was kind of the point.

I just want a really cool flame war.

A creative flame war if you will...

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 7:39pm.

tc wrote:
I think interest rates will become Fabulous.
Shadow Inventory will be renamed Rainbow Inventory.
Who needs arms when they are gay?
We can arm bears to fight the Taliban monkey fighters.
Newtosandiego might give in to his/her gay tendencies and finally be happy.
Droids will take over.
No comment about rich (I don’t want to get kicked)
Americans will start to lose weight for a change.
Mexican Cartels will move to OC and 4s.
Your sons finger-painting will be even more amazing.

Color me AWESOME!!!!!!

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 7:43pm.

meadandale wrote:
Listen up Sacramento...I've decided that from now on I will vote NO on everything you float as a proposition. You've clearly shown that there is no point in voting for anything you put on the ballot because anything that some special interest group disagrees with will just be stricken down anyways.

Yo pot smokers...remember this lesson when your proposition comes up for a vote and don't get too excited. Even if it passes I'm betting it won't make it through the appeals process.

Gotta love the land of fruits and nuts...clearly there were lots of both involved in today's ruling.

Okay.
I may be both fruity and nutty.
However, I am an independent businessman and a liberal and your handle references fermented bee-poop.

American non-sequiturs. We don't make sense but we love pizza.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 7:45pm.

...And I just saw my office on CNN.

The fact that I am excited by that points out just how dorky I am.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 7:53pm.

urbanrealtor wrote:
ybitz wrote:
Gay marriages are going to jack up single family home prices in San Diego. Marriage tends to lead to new household creation, which tends to led to single family home purchases over condo/townhomes. There, that's my prediction :)

I have a feeling this thread is going to become a flame-war...

That was kind of the point.

I just want a really cool flame war.

A creative flame war if you will...

Perhaps a python-esque flame war.

Y'know, we should start a loony party here in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Mo...

I mean other than those we already have...

Submitted by mike92104 on August 4, 2010 - 8:09pm.

I think the word marriage should be left t the churches. I think the state should only be empowered to grant civil unions regardless of sexual orientation. That way everybody is equal, and churches can decide who they want to marry or not. If your church doesn't want to marry gay couples, then find a new one. Otherwise I think this will be an endless fight.

Submitted by NewtGingrichToS... on August 4, 2010 - 8:11pm.

Judge Walker's ruling overturning Prop 8 is an outrageous disrespect for our Constitution and for the majority of people of the United States who believe marriage is the union of husband and wife. In every state of the union from California to Maine to Georgia, where the people have had a chance to vote they've affirmed that marriage is the union of one man and one woman. Congress now has the responsibility to act immediately to reaffirm marriage as a union of one man and one woman as our national policy. Today’s notorious decision also underscores the importance of the Senate vote tomorrow on the nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court because judges who oppose the American people are a growing threat to our society.

Submitted by Arraya on August 4, 2010 - 8:53pm.

lol "our right to arm bears"

Submitted by Hobie on August 4, 2010 - 9:49pm.

Comment removed by me. When someone drops the 'hate' word or for that matter, 'racist' responding to my statements it instantly polarizes the parties and ends all rational discussion. So I will simply not let it get started.

Submitted by tc on August 4, 2010 - 8:25pm.

I hope someday most of us will look back on this hate and wonder how so many decided it was not ok to be gay. I would want the courts to overturn any decision that makes someone less human because of their sexual orientation, color, sex, age, religion etc..
The people who voted for prop 8 need to stop the hate.

Submitted by tc on August 4, 2010 - 8:29pm.

We have a loony party.

Submitted by mike92104 on August 4, 2010 - 8:40pm.

NewtGingrichToSanDiego wrote:
Judge Walker's ruling overturning Prop 8 is an outrageous disrespect for our Constitution and for the majority of people of the United States who believe marriage is the union of husband and wife. In every state of the union from California to Maine to Georgia, where the people have had a chance to vote they've affirmed that marriage is the union of one man and one woman. Congress now has the responsibility to act immediately to reaffirm marriage as a union of one man and one woman as our national policy. Today’s notorious decision also underscores the importance of the Senate vote tomorrow on the nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court because judges who oppose the American people are a growing threat to our society.

This is exactly why I think the govt should get out of the marriage business. Morality issues should be left to the church. Civil Unions for all I say.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 8:42pm.

tc wrote:
We have a loony party.

We have a few.

Submitted by briansd1 on August 4, 2010 - 9:24pm.

mike92104 wrote:

This is exactly why I think the govt should get out of the marriage business. Morality issues should be left to the church. Civil Unions for all I say.

Why should the government recognize anything that the church does? Keep it separate.

Marriage is just a word. Why should the church have monopoly?

Submitted by briansd1 on August 4, 2010 - 9:27pm.

tc wrote:
I hope someday most of us will look back on this hate and wonder how so many decided it was not ok to be gay. I would want the courts to overturn any decision that makes someone less human because of their sexual orientation, color, sex, age, religion etc..
The people who voted for prop 8 need to stop the hate.

I agree.

Submitted by CDMA ENG on August 4, 2010 - 9:55pm.

NewtGingrichToSanDiego wrote:
Judge Walker's ruling overturning Prop 8 is an outrageous disrespect for our Constitution and for the majority of people of the United States who believe marriage is the union of husband and wife. In every state of the union from California to Maine to Georgia, where the people have had a chance to vote they've affirmed that marriage is the union of one man and one woman. Congress now has the responsibility to act immediately to reaffirm marriage as a union of one man and one woman as our national policy. Today’s notorious decision also underscores the importance of the Senate vote tomorrow on the nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court because judges who oppose the American people are a growing threat to our society.

I know I am eating Troll bait on this one but I hate this arguement. At one time there was a majority of people that thought women shouldn't vote, black man's vote was worth 3/5 of a white (or even that they had any rights) and so forth and so on.

Come off with a better reason to suppress peoples right and maybe I will listen chartably.

A state has the ability to vote the bills that it thinks are reasonable into law. Ban same sex mariage as a law... thats a states voted right... but to say someone rights are forever revoked goes to far. That in itself is unconstitional and even worse ethically wrong.

Regards,

CE

Submitted by briansd1 on August 4, 2010 - 9:40pm.

ybitz wrote:
Gay marriages are going to jack up single family home prices in San Diego. Marriage tends to lead to new household creation, which tends to led to single family home purchases over condo/townhomes. There, that's my prediction :)

I was thinking the same, but on second thought I have my doubts.

Gays who wish to live together already do.

Generally gays tend to live in separate households. A long term trend of household consolidation might drive down real estate prices.

Generally speaking, more home restoration will be good for all of us and good for the economy.

Look at how "fabulous" Hillcrest is now as compared to a couple decades ago. Any neighborhood in need of revival should welcome gays with open arms.

Submitted by briansd1 on August 4, 2010 - 10:06pm.

Catching up on the news of the day, I just found out that Judge Vaughn Walker is a conservative gay judge originally nominated by Ronald Reagan.

Interesting indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Walker

I've always believed that progressive values are superior and always win sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

I believe that gay marriage will become perfectly normal in the future, sooner or later. It's a worldwide trend.

Submitted by Hobie on August 4, 2010 - 10:08pm.

@CDMA Consider how it begins to unravel the moral fabric of our society.

Submitted by sd_matt on August 4, 2010 - 10:24pm.

Regarding the Prop 8 ruling a yahoo commenter said it nicely.

"I also find it ironic people are crying about the fact their rights are being violated, when the very thing being revoked was taking away peoples rights. Seriously pull your heads out of your @#$%, gay people are not affecting you at all unless they are personally coming to your door and asking you to be gay."

Submitted by sd_matt on August 4, 2010 - 10:26pm.

Progressive values superior? Only off and on they are right.

One side does it to unborn children and another does it to gays.

The biggest difference between the Left and Right is when they choose to turn off their empathy. Fundamentally they are the same.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 10:34pm.

sd_matt wrote:
Regarding the Prop 8 ruling a yahoo commenter said it nicely.

"I also find it ironic people are crying about the fact their rights are being violated, when the very thing being revoked was taking away peoples rights. Seriously pull your heads out of your @#$%, gay people are not affecting you at all unless they are personally coming to your door and asking you to be gay."

I used to do that.

Eventually, my neighbors asked me to stop.

I think they were weirded out by my wife watching me with binoculars.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on August 4, 2010 - 10:42pm.

Here is my contribution to the argument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5W9gOI4yn4

I was kind of hoping this would happen at the parade today.

Submitted by meadandale on August 4, 2010 - 10:53pm.

mike92104 wrote:
I think the word marriage should be left t the churches. I think the state should only be empowered to grant civil unions regardless of sexual orientation. That way everybody is equal, and churches can decide who they want to marry or not. If your church doesn't want to marry gay couples, then find a new one. Otherwise I think this will be an endless fight.

+1

Submitted by eavesdropper on August 4, 2010 - 10:54pm.

There will be no shortage of news reporting on this event. I'm always gratified to come across reporters who have unique journalistic styles that keep me riveted to the articles they write. Cathy Kelly of the Santa Cruz Sentinel is one of these:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news...

Federal judge's ruling guts Proposition 8, the voter-approved ban on same-sex marriages
(Hmmm. Let me try and guess which side she was on.)

(About halfway into the article)
Demonstrations coinciding with the ruling's release were planned Wednesday throughout the San Francisco Bay area and elsewhere, including the Diversity Center in Santa Cruz. A handful of people gathered at the center Wednesday afternoon to await the ruling. Initially apprehensive, the mood turned celebratory once the judge's order was made public.
"We know and expect this is to be just one piece on the path to marriage equality. But it's a critical part," said Lex, who is queer and does not use a last name. "It feels good to celebrate right now."

Of course, I could be reading that last sentence wrong. Maybe she's trying to say that Lex is queer *because* he does not use a last name?

Don't know about y'all, but I smell a Pulitzer.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.