Ot. Covid deaths by dec 2022

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 11, 2021 - 6:24pm
50 million plus
0% (0 votes)
25 to 50 million
0% (0 votes)
10 to 25 million
0% (0 votes)
5 to 10 million
0% (0 votes)
4 to 5 million
17% (1 vote)
3 to 4 million
0% (0 votes)
2 to 3 million
0% (0 votes)
1 to 2 million
33% (2 votes)
Less than one million.
50% (3 votes)
It's a hoax, no one died from covid, they died from other causes, including vaccines, etc
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 6
Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 11, 2021 - 6:29pm.

Total us deaths by Dec 2022. A million here a million there. No biggie.

Remember how upset we used to get when just a few thousand died in the WTC! HAHA.

Life's cheap. No one will give a shit if there are 5 million dead. We will be like, welp, vaccines r risky...

Submitted by an on August 11, 2021 - 6:38pm.

Darwin's a bitch

Submitted by ucodegen on August 16, 2021 - 9:06am.

an wrote:
Darwin's a bitch

And very unforgiving of stupidity!

Submitted by svelte on August 20, 2021 - 12:11am.

I've had some interesting conversations the last few weeks. The first I thought was an anomaly. The second makes me think it is more trend than anomaly.

First conversation was with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. We filled each other in on what has happened in the last year. Later in the conversation, he made a remark that implied he had been hospitalized recently. He saw my curious expression and then explained he was put in the hospital and was near death but recovered. I asked if he had COVID and he said yes but he wasn't in the hospital for that.

Second conversation was with another friend who I was scheduled to meet with. Turned out to be a no-show and when I finally got ahold of her she said she and her husband had COVID and he was put in the hospital for an infection "but not for COVID".

Both of these families are antivaxxers. Both, apparently, unwilling to consider that they maybe should have received the vaccine. Probably. Definitely.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 20, 2021 - 10:02am.

Why are anti vaxxers pro hospital? I'd have total respect for them if they were like fuck western medicine. I'll set my own bone breaks and distill my own damn morphine from the poppy flowers on my ranchette.

Every covid case should be mandatorily pumped with vaccine upon admission just to keep them away from hospitals!

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 20, 2021 - 10:40am.

ucodegen wrote:
an wrote:
Darwin's a bitch

And very unforgiving of stupidity!

Not sure about that. Stupid people seem to be reproducing faster than higher iq people.

Submitted by svelte on August 20, 2021 - 11:47am.

scaredyclassic wrote:

Not sure about that. Stupid people seem to be reproducing faster than higher iq people.

lol I have a friend who calls them idiot factories...

Submitted by zk on August 21, 2021 - 12:30am.

svelte wrote:
I've had some interesting conversations the last few weeks. The first I thought was an anomaly. The second makes me think it is more trend than anomaly.

First conversation was with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. We filled each other in on what has happened in the last year. Later in the conversation, he made a remark that implied he had been hospitalized recently. He saw my curious expression and then explained he was put in the hospital and was near death but recovered. I asked if he had COVID and he said yes but he wasn't in the hospital for that.

Second conversation was with another friend who I was scheduled to meet with. Turned out to be a no-show and when I finally got ahold of her she said she and her husband had COVID and he was put in the hospital for an infection "but not for COVID".

Both of these families are antivaxxers. Both, apparently, unwilling to consider that they maybe should have received the vaccine. Probably. Definitely.

Well, if this is truly is a prominent trend, this is very bad. I (with my usual naivete/underestimation of the ignorance of right-wingers) saw a light at the end of the tunnel by reasoning that these idiots could only see so many people die of COVID before they came to their senses and realized that it's a threat to them and decided to get vaccinated. Once again I fail to grasp just how unfathomably stupid/ignorant/brainwashed they are.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 21, 2021 - 9:35am.

zk wrote:
svelte wrote:
I've had some interesting conversations the last few weeks. The first I thought was an anomaly. The second makes me think it is more trend than anomaly.

First conversation was with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. We filled each other in on what has happened in the last year. Later in the conversation, he made a remark that implied he had been hospitalized recently. He saw my curious expression and then explained he was put in the hospital and was near death but recovered. I asked if he had COVID and he said yes but he wasn't in the hospital for that.

Second conversation was with another friend who I was scheduled to meet with. Turned out to be a no-show and when I finally got ahold of her she said she and her husband had COVID and he was put in the hospital for an infection "but not for COVID".

Both of these families are antivaxxers. Both, apparently, unwilling to consider that they maybe should have received the vaccine. Probably. Definitely.

Well, if this is truly is a prominent trend, this is very bad. I (with my usual naivete/underestimation of the ignorance of right-wingers) saw a light at the end of the tunnel by reasoning that these idiots could only see so many people die of COVID before they came to their senses and realized that it's a threat to them and decided to get vaccinated. Once again I fail to grasp just how unfathomably stupid/ignorant/brainwashed they are.

Well...we all live and die by the stories we construct about ourselves and the world.

This one though is just a really weird story.

But maybe not as weird as the story that nation told itself about why it was ok to bomb the shit out of Afghanistan and occupy it 20 years.

Submitted by The-Shoveler on August 21, 2021 - 10:09am.

I don't have numbers but I would argue that in CA there are probably as many or maybe even more anti-vac liberals as conservatives.

Me I got the Vac as soon as it was available to me.

But I get the flu shot every year as well.

Submitted by an on August 21, 2021 - 5:31pm.

COVID doesn't care how smart or stupid you are

Submitted by zk on August 21, 2021 - 7:40pm.

an wrote:
COVID doesn't care how smart or stupid you are

Well, sure, the actual virus has no such concerns. But if you are so stupid / brainwashed / ignorant that you don't get vaccinated, you are a lot more likely to die from COVID.

Submitted by zk on August 21, 2021 - 8:00pm.

The-Shoveler wrote:
I don't have numbers but I would argue that in CA there are probably as many or maybe even more anti-vac liberals as conservatives.

Me I got the Vac as soon as it was available to me.

But I get the flu shot every year as well.

Key part of that quote:

The-Shoveler wrote:
I don't have numbers

It is possible, due to the unique demographics of our state that there are a lot of liberals not getting the vaccine. And a lot of the ones who are not getting the vaccine are ignorant or stupid or brainwashed. (Also a lot of poor Californians and those on the fringes of society have trouble understanding how to get the vaccine.) But it's not left wing media and politicians that are brainwashing them or disinforming them or keeping them ignorant. Nobody's doing it on purpose. It's generations-old fears and concerns that have been passed down in their cultures. Those concerns need to be addressed by science and reason, but they are not, for the most part.

Right-wing media and the Republican party are chock full of people willing to brainwash people, to lie to them, to disinform them, to keep them ignorant, to let them die, all for their own selfish purposes.

It's time we call them what they are. Mass murderers.

Submitted by an on August 21, 2021 - 10:06pm.

zk wrote:
an wrote:
COVID doesn't care how smart or stupid you are

Well, sure, the actual virus has no such concerns. But if you are so stupid / brainwashed / ignorant that you don't get vaccinated, you are a lot more likely to die from COVID.

I know stupid people who got vaccinated and smart people who refused to get it. BTW, the population that has the lowest vaccination rate are black and Hispanic.

Submitted by zk on August 21, 2021 - 10:11pm.

an wrote:
zk wrote:
an wrote:
COVID doesn't care how smart or stupid you are

Well, sure, the actual virus has no such concerns. But if you are so stupid / brainwashed / ignorant that you don't get vaccinated, you are a lot more likely to die from COVID.

I know stupid people who got vaccinated and smart people who refused to get it

Well, there are lots of different kinds of smart and lots of different kinds of stupid. I'm not talking about people with high IQs or low IQs. I'm talking about, among other things, susceptibility to bullshit. Most Republicans who refuse to take the vaccine, it seems to me, refuse to take it because they have fallen for the bullshit narrative they have heard from right-wing media and right-wing politicians. That's the kind of stupid I'm talking about. And you're right, there are plenty of people with very high IQs who have fallen for that bullshit. And there are plenty of people with relatively low IQs who see right through that bullshit.

Submitted by zk on August 21, 2021 - 10:15pm.

an wrote:
BTW, the population that has the lowest vaccination rate are black and Hispanic.

Yes, I know. Those are the people I was referring to when I talked about generations-old fears in one of my previous posts.

Submitted by an on August 22, 2021 - 12:11am.

zk wrote:
Well, there are lots of different kinds of smart and lots of different kinds of stupid. I'm not talking about people with high IQs or low IQs. I'm talking about, among other things, susceptibility to bullshit. Most Republicans who refuse to take the vaccine, it seems to me, refuse to take it because they have fallen for the bullshit narrative they have heard from right-wing media and right-wing politicians. That's the kind of stupid I'm talking about. And you're right, there are plenty of people with very high IQs who have fallen for that bullshit. And there are plenty of people with relatively low IQs who see right through that bullshit.
I don't think it's as black and white as you try to make it out to me. Our VP said so herself that she wouldn't take it if Trump told her to. Your labeling might have been flipped if Trump is in the White House today. https://news.yahoo.com/kamala-harris-say...

Point is, there's no need for those labeling. It's not helpful and just make you sound like a racist.

I just find it hilarious that the people who fought for abortion with the argument of "my body my choice" is now saying the opposite. While the people who say, "your body is not your choice when your choice end up killing another life" is now saying "my body my choice".

Submitted by zk on August 22, 2021 - 9:57am.

an wrote:
I don't think it's as black and white as you try to make it out to me. Our VP said so herself that she wouldn't take it if Trump told her to.

Harris said she would take it if public health officials such as Fauci told her to take it. So when, immediately after she said that, she said she wouldn't take it if trump told her to take it, she obviously meant that she wouldn't take trump's word for it, and wouldn't take it if trump told her to take it but Fauci told her not to. She had just gotten done saying that if Fauci told her to take it, she would. So if Fauci told her to take it, she would take it regardless of what trump said.

an wrote:
Your labeling might have been flipped if Trump is in the White House today.

That sentence appears nonsensical to me. What "labeling" might have been "flipped?" And what would it be flipped to? I'm not "labeling" anyone, except for (maybe, depending on your definition of "label") right-wing propaganda marks (and anyone else) who refuse to take the vaccine because of false narratives, and I'm saying they are ignorant and/or stupid and/or brainwashed. None of that would change regardless of who is in the White House. If you can think of a more accurate way to describe people who risk their own lives and that of others because of lies that they've fallen for, I'd like to hear it.

Trump obviously can't be trusted to tell the truth. So if he were in the White House today, and he was telling everyone to get the vaccine, I wouldn't take it solely on his say so. Nobody with any sense would. If trump were in the White House and was telling me to take the vaccine, I would ignore him and I would base my decision to take the vaccine on what Fauci and the rest of the public health community were saying. Even with Biden as president, even though he has, relative to trump, an excellent record of being honest with us, I wouldn't take the vaccine solely on his say so. If Biden were telling me to take it and Fauci and the public health community in general were telling me not to, I wouldn't take it. When it comes to science, I trust scientists more than I trust politicians. When it comes to donald trump, I don't trust him when it comes to anything. What idiot would?

an wrote:

Point is, there's no need for those labeling. It's not helpful and just make you sound like a racist.

Either you don't understand what I'm saying, or you don't understand what "labeling" means or who I'm labeling. Be more specific about what it is that you think makes me sound racist.

an wrote:

I just find it hilarious that the people who fought for abortion with the argument of "my body my choice" is now saying the opposite. While the people who say, "your body is not your choice when your choice end up killing another life" is now saying "my body my choice".

That argument only works if the vaccine and abortion arguments are the same. Let's assume, just for this paragraph, that they are. I just find it hilarious that you see the hypocrisy of liberals here but not the hypocrisy of conservatives. Conservatives have been saying for decades that the government should be able to mandate what a person can or can't do with their body when another life is at stake. But now, all of a sudden, for them, it's "my body my choice."

Those who argue that the vaccine is different from abortion say (among other things) that taking the vaccine is a public health issue. Getting the vaccine affects other people and abortion only affects the person having the abortion. Those who oppose abortion say that having an abortion does affect another person (the fetus). They disagree on whether the fetus is a person or not. They always have. So, if someone believes that a fetus is not a person, it is consistent to be pro-choice and pro mandatory vaccination. An abortion only affects them (their body their choice). Not getting the vaccine affects other people.

In any case, that whole argument is about vaccine mandates, and I'm not even talking about mandatory vaccines here. I'm saying that if you don't get the vaccine because of a false narrative that you believe, you're stupid and/or ignorant and/or brainwashed. And you're putting others' lives (and the economy, for those who care more about that than other people) at risk.

Submitted by zk on August 22, 2021 - 10:24am.

It's worse than I thought. Even their demigod can't turn this thing around.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021...

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 22, 2021 - 10:46am.

Expertise is dead. The internet makes everyone an expert, therefore no one is an expert.

The dumbest among us think they are brilliant.

Democracy, like the planet, must ultimately fail when intelligence or heat passes a critical failure point.

Submitted by flyer on August 22, 2021 - 11:35am.

Our families were extremely glad to get our vaccinations. We're super careful even now, and continue to wear masks, especially since we're out and about and around so many people in various settings.

No one lasts forever, and even with the vaccines, as we're seeing with breakthrough cases, there are no guarantees, but why contribute to an early demise, when there are options are available, and, yes, we only listen to MD's when it comes to medical advice--definitely not politicians. Come to think of it, we really don't listen to politicians wrt much of anything.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 22, 2021 - 11:50am.

flyer wrote:
Our families were extremely glad to get our vaccinations. We're super careful even now, and continue to wear masks, especially since we're out and about and around so many people in various settings.

No one lasts forever, and even with the vaccines, as we're seeing with breakthrough cases, there are no guarantees, but why contribute to an early demise, when there are options are available, and, yes, we only listen to MD's when it comes to medical advice--definitely not politicians. Come to think of it, we really don't listen to politicians wrt much of anything.

Since politicians create the laws of the nation, and appoint the judges who interpret it, it might be worthwhile to listen occasionally.

Submitted by an on August 22, 2021 - 5:57pm.

zk, I see hypocrisy all around. So, there's that.

I find it funny when both sides disregard the other side as crazy, stupid, and brainwashed.

All the while, COVID doesn't care. Survival of the fittest (Darwin), doesn't care how you get "fit".

Submitted by an on August 22, 2021 - 6:06pm.

zk wrote:
I'm saying that if you don't get the vaccine because of a false narrative that you believe, you're stupid and/or ignorant and/or brainwashed.
Labeling... i.e. name calling. Does that make you feel superior.

FYI, I'm fully vaccinated and waiting anxiously for my time to get my booster (I'll even do it every few months if that's what it takes to keep me protected). Data have shown that the unvaccinated will mostly hurt other unvaccinated who chose to be unvaccinated by choice. So, whatever float their boat and I won't be labeling them as stupid/ignorant/brainwashed. They all have their reasons.

Submitted by zk on August 22, 2021 - 6:27pm.

an wrote:
zk, I see hypocrisy all around. So, there's that.

So you agree that it's hypocritical for conservatives to be against "my body my choice" when it comes to abortion, but for it when it comes to the COVID vaccine?

an wrote:

I find it funny when both sides disregard the other side as crazy, stupid, and brainwashed.

I don't find it funny at all. Especially when one side actually is brainwashed and is literally killing the other (and themselves) by brainwashing its own members into living in an alternate reality.

You can try your both sides nonsense all you want. But the fact is that I've shot down all your arguments. You're left with no comeback other than "both sides" blah blah blah. Liberal politicians and media are not trying to convince liberals to risk their own lives and that of others for their own political purposes. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. And certainly not on a scale that is costing hundreds of thousands of American lives. If they were, I'd be every bit as disgusted and furious with them as I am at conservative media and politicians. But they're not. It's not both sides. It's conservatives. It's conservative media and politicians who are killing Americans with their lies.

an wrote:
All the while, COVID doesn't care. Survival of the fittest (Darwin), doesn't care how you get "fit".

You keep saying that, but I don't see your point. What, exactly, are you trying to say, and what does it have to do with this debate?

Submitted by zk on August 22, 2021 - 6:59pm.

an wrote:
Labeling... i.e. name calling. Does that make you feel superior.

No, the fact that right-wing propaganda marks are brainwashed/ignorant/stupid makes me feel sad and angry. Not superior.

In any case, I don't see it as name calling so much as pointing out the problem. The problem is that conservatives are being led by the nose into an alternate reality. They live in that alternate reality and it hurts us all. Stupid you can't do much about. But ignorant and brainwashed can be fixed. And that's what we need to do. But that problem can't be fixed until it's identified.

an wrote:
Data have shown that the unvaccinated will mostly hurt other unvaccinated who chose to be unvaccinated by choice. So, whatever float their boat

Wrong on two counts. First, long COVID can and does happen from mild or even asymptomatic breakthrough cases. Long COVID is a very serious problem in someone's life. Second, for people with weakened immune systems, the vaccine doesn't work very well. So, technically, maybe you're right. "Mostly." Sure, more than half of the people they affect will be those who have chosen not to be vaccinated. But a lot of people who have chosen the vaccine could be seriously negatively affected.

an wrote:
and I won't be labeling them as stupid/ignorant/brainwashed. They all have their reasons.

What would you say about a guy who thinks 2+2=5? Why would he think that? Is there a good reason? What if his god or his tv or his senator convinced him with years of nonsensical but good-feeling arguments that 2+2=5 and he believed them? He'd be brainwashed. What if his IQ is 40 and he just doesn't know any better? He'd be stupid. What if he was raised by wolves and never bothered to figure it out? He'd be ignorant. Whether you, an, label them those things or not doesn't change the fact that that's what they are. And it doesn't change the fact that, while they have their reasons, they're not good reasons.

And, if them thinking that 2+2=5 is killing hundreds of thousands of people, then I think it's for the best that that problem be identified. Don't you?

Submitted by an on August 22, 2021 - 7:02pm.

zk, looks like you're fixed in your way, so, we'll just agree to disagree.

Submitted by zk on August 22, 2021 - 7:42pm.

an wrote:
zk, looks like you're fixed in your way, so, we'll just agree to disagree.

If you could manage to come up with an argument that differs from mine and that can stand up to reason, logic, and facts, or you if you could counter my arguments with the same, you'd see that I'm not "fixed" in my way. But you haven't.

It's really something to see when one guy loses all the arguments, still refuses to budge an inch, and then accuses the OTHER guy of being fixed in his way. Not how it works, dude.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 22, 2021 - 8:49pm.

Both sides may regard each other as stupid, crazy and brainwashed, but that doesn't mean that only one side is actually stupid crazy and brainwashed.

How exactly are the pro vaxxers stupid crazy or brainwashed?

Submitted by an on August 22, 2021 - 10:07pm.

zk wrote:
an wrote:
zk, looks like you're fixed in your way, so, we'll just agree to disagree.

If you could manage to come up with an argument that differs from mine and that can stand up to reason, logic, and facts, or you if you could counter my arguments with the same, you'd see that I'm not "fixed" in my way. But you haven't.

It's really something to see when one guy loses all the arguments, still refuses to budge an inch, and then accuses the OTHER guy of being fixed in his way. Not how it works, dude.

keep telling yourself that

Submitted by an on August 22, 2021 - 10:10pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
Both sides may regard each other as stupid, crazy and brainwashed, but that doesn't mean that only one side is actually stupid crazy and brainwashed.

How exactly are the pro vaxxers stupid crazy or brainwashed?


Wrong question to ask. Are you saying majority of black, Hispanics, and young people are stupid, crazy or brainwashed?

Submitted by flyer on August 22, 2021 - 10:14pm.

Scaredy, thanks to some legal and other advisors, I'm well aware of the ever-evolving laws of the nation, especially as they affect my life and businesses, but I let them cut through the never-ending political BS, and get to the core of the issues, which is what I'm interested in.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2021 - 8:02am.

an wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
Both sides may regard each other as stupid, crazy and brainwashed, but that doesn't mean that only one side is actually stupid crazy and brainwashed.

How exactly are the pro vaxxers stupid crazy or brainwashed?


Wrong question to ask. Are you saying majority of black, Hispanics, and young people are stupid, crazy or brainwashed?

No. I'm not saying anyone is absolutely stupid, crazy or brainwashed as a person. I'm saying on this one issue, anyone refusing the vaccine for political or historical reasons is irrational. Unless they want chaos and death. Which is a rational desire I guess.

So how are the pro vaxxers irrational?

Excessive mistrust is a form of irrationality and can be fatal.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2021 - 8:26am.

Look, I'm a smart guy. Not bragging, just a fact. But I am the first to admit I am stupid, crazy or brainwashed on certain issues. I have some odd fixed beliefs I can't justify and probably can't be moved from.

But generally speaking, those beliefs won't result in my death or the deaths of others.

If they did, I'd probably be more persuadable. I wouldn't cling to them to the bitter end. I'd be like, yeah, I still kinda think we are living in a video simulation created by aliens, but I don't think I get a game reset if I kill myself or others ...

My idea that I'm a smart guy may actually qualify me as a stupid, crazy or brainwashed.
See e.g., if I'm so smart why aren't i rich,

Submitted by zk on August 23, 2021 - 9:37am.

an wrote:
keep telling yourself that

And this is how it always ends when you try to debate rationally with a right-winger. You thoroughly trounce whatever pathetic, worn-out, recycled-from-their-echo-chamber arguments they come up with. They refuse to respond to reason and come at you with this nonsense. This kind of intransigence is why people are dying.

Submitted by sdrealtor on August 23, 2021 - 9:43am.

And this is what happens when you incorrectly assume you are debating with a right winger. You vindictivelty look to crush them with unkindness because you think they are a right winger.

Submitted by zk on August 23, 2021 - 9:55am.

sdrealtor wrote:
And this is what happens when you incorrectly assume you are debating with a right winger. You vindictivelty look to crush them with unkindness because you think they are a right winger.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Wrong #1: an clearly holds right-wing views.

Wrong #2: I am not vindictively looking to crush anybody with unkindness. I am looking to crush his arguments with logic and reason. If that feels unkind to you, give him some better arguments. If you have any.

Wrong #3: I am not doing anything because I think he's a right winger. I'm crushing his arguments because they suck and they're dangerous.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2021 - 10:05am.

Up to 1,000 deaths a day! Starting to get rolling!

Submitted by zk on August 23, 2021 - 10:38am.

scaredyclassic wrote:

No. I'm not saying anyone is absolutely stupid, crazy or brainwashed as a person. I'm saying on this one issue, anyone refusing the vaccine for political or historical reasons is irrational.

I did sound like I was saying that antivaxxers are stupid, ignorant, or brainwashed as people.

What I mean is that they are stupid, ignorant, or brainwashed on this particular issue.

My apologies.

Submitted by an on August 23, 2021 - 10:50am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
So how are the pro vaxxers irrational?

They're not IMHO, but that's probably because I'm probably the most pro-vaxx in this forum. However, when someone judge you for being something, that's their viewpoint of you.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2021 - 11:03am.

an wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
So how are the pro vaxxers irrational?

They're not IMHO, but that's probably because I'm probably the most pro-vaxx in this forum. However, when someone judge you for being something, that's their viewpoint of you.

Or, as the dude said in THE BIG LEBOWSKI, "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Submitted by sdrealtor on August 23, 2021 - 11:03am.

zk wrote:
sdrealtor wrote:
And this is what happens when you incorrectly assume you are debating with a right winger. You vindictivelty look to crush them with unkindness because you think they are a right winger.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Wrong #1: an clearly holds right-wing views.

Wrong #2: I am not vindictively looking to crush anybody with unkindness. I am looking to crush his arguments with logic and reason. If that feels unkind to you, give him some better arguments. If you have any.

Wrong #3: I am not doing anything because I think he's a right winger. I'm crushing his arguments because they suck and they're dangerous.

you're just wrong. He's not a right winger which is what you called him. I know him personally as well as his family. Sorry not right wingers. He's pro vax, got it as soon as he could and thinks others should.

You were completely uncivil in attacking him based upon a strawman. Whether you agree or not with him it was a vindictive unkind attack.

Again he's not advocating not getting vaxxed. He's just willing to understand others have all kinds of reasons they aren't getting it even though he disagrees with them

You need a chill pill

Submitted by an on August 23, 2021 - 11:32am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
an wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
So how are the pro vaxxers irrational?

They're not IMHO, but that's probably because I'm probably the most pro-vaxx in this forum. However, when someone judge you for being something, that's their viewpoint of you.

Or, as the dude said in THE BIG LEBOWSKI, "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”


As they say, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

Submitted by zk on August 23, 2021 - 12:50pm.

sdrealtor wrote:

you're just wrong. He's not a right winger which is what you called him. I know him personally as well as his family. Sorry not right wingers.

For a not right winger, he sure presents a lot of right wing opinions here on piggington. Maybe you have a different definition of right winger from mine.

In any case, your point seemed to be that I was attacking him BECAUSE he's a right winger. As if I hate all right wingers. Some of my best friends are right wingers. I wasn't attacking him because he's a right winger, I was attacking his arguments because they suck and they're dangerous.

sdrealtor wrote:

He's pro vax, got it as soon as he could and thinks others should.

I know. I wasn't attacking his arguments because I thought he was ant-vax. His arguments were defending anti-vaxxer arguments. Those argument were weak and dangerous. So I attacked them.

sdrealtor wrote:

You were completely uncivil in attacking him based upon a strawman.

There was no strawman. If you're talking about my "this is how it always ends when you try to debate rationally with a right-winger." comment, it doesn't matter whether he's a right winger or not. The fact is that I tried to debate him rationally, and that was how it ended. It was weak and nonsensical whether he's a right-winger or not. That's not a strawman.

A strawman would be if he's not a right winger and I called him a right winger and then tore him down for being a right winger. I didn't tear him down for being a right winger. I tore his arguments down for being weak and nonsensical.

sdrealtor wrote:

Whether you agree or not with him it was a vindictive unkind attack.

Vindictiveness would be something I feel. Whether it appeared vindictive to you or not is irrelevant. I'm telling you it was not vindictive.

Unkind? Having your arguments crushed can hurt. I'm not going to avoid disproving someone's arguments because it hurts them.

sdrealtor wrote:

Again he's not advocating not getting vaxxed. He's just willing to understand others have all kinds of reasons they aren't getting it even though he disagrees with them

Understanding others have reasons is not the same as defending those reasons. He was defending - even espousing - those reasons. And those reasons suck and they're dangerous.

Also, saying, "they have their reasons" does, in a way, coddle those anti-vaxxers. It takes some pressure off of them. This country doesn't need that. This country needs them to get vaccinated.

sdrealtor wrote:

You need a chill pill

No thanks. This is an important issue that is killing a lot of people. I'll stay fired up about it.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2021 - 12:52pm.

I still hate the entire country of Germany irrationally. I'd rather walk than buy a Benz or a Mercedes. I just will never ever forgive the nation. Irrational, really, since we have plenty worse Nazis here

But if the Vaterland came up with a bitching vaccine, I'd take it.

Yeah, Tuskegee was bad, but like the Holocaust, it's not a good reason to avoid the vaccine

Submitted by scaredyclassic on August 23, 2021 - 1:11pm.

really timely and interesting article on the limits of rationality in latest NEW YORKER

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/...

"why is it so hard to be rational? The real challenge isn’t being right but knowing how wrong you might be."

Submitted by sdrealtor on August 23, 2021 - 2:08pm.

Everyone here agrees with vax's. You arent changinmg anyone's mind. You are arguing with the air.

You called him a rightwinger and built your strawman from there. EOS

Submitted by zk on August 23, 2021 - 2:28pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
Everyone here agrees with vax's. You arent changinmg anyone's mind. You are arguing with the air.

You called him a rightwinger and built your strawman from there. EOS

The first sentence might or might not be true, depending on whether you count people who aren't chiming in or not..

The second one might not. They might not admit it here, but somebody might change their mind. And if they do, I might have saved a life or two.

The third sentence is obviously false. Unless you consider yourself and an air.

The 4th sentence is complete bullshit, as explained in my previous post. If you disagree with that explanation and you want to explain your position, I'm certainly willing to listen. But just saying I presented a straw man EOS won't fly. Not with anybody who's interested in reason and logic, anyway.

Submitted by sdrealtor on August 23, 2021 - 2:41pm.

Im not arguing with you. I agree everyone should get vaxxed and those that dont are risking others. Just pointing out your misguided efforts trying to argue with someone else who feels the same. Offline we are texting each other laughing. Have a wonderful day

Submitted by zk on August 23, 2021 - 3:58pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
Im not arguing with you.

Really? What was all that stuff about straw men?

sdrealtor wrote:
Just pointing out your misguided efforts trying to argue with someone else who feels the same.

As you know, not everyone who reads this blog chimes in. If there's a one in ten thousand chance that I could change one mind on this life-and-death matter, it's worth the effort.

sdrealtor wrote:

Offline we are texting each other laughing.

How very cowardly of you.