OT: ah... my hair is falling out!!!!

User Forum Topic
Submitted by Coronita on February 17, 2016 - 6:15am

Is this one of the things I get to look forward to after 40?

Anyway, I've been noticing that I think I'm starting to shed hair, especially on the scalp. And it only started recently shed "worse".

Anyway, it is possible that my new exercise/cardio/weight routine (which so far has been very effective in me dropping a lot of unnecessary weight and fat), is causing it? I've been reading in that some cases, people lose more hair if they suddenly exercise a lot, and deprive the body of nutrients/vitamins. Others say it's stress. Then of course there's the hereditary aspect to it...

I've already stopped using any sort of shampoo or conditioner that has sulfate... Thinking of maybe taking a multivitamin supplement, something with more biotin and iron to see if that's the issue

Ideas?

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 17, 2016 - 6:59am.

I am taking Saw Palmetto, then I mix my own Tea-Tree-Oil and caffeine and use as a conditioner.

So far seems to be working.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Submitted by no_such_reality on February 17, 2016 - 8:06am.

Shave it and move on.

Submitted by spdrun on February 17, 2016 - 9:49am.

Stop juggling depleted uranium balls. Radiation isn't good for the hair.

Submitted by plm on February 17, 2016 - 10:53am.

Biotin is recommended by dermatalogists. Costco has a couple of brands. One is all Biotin, the other is nature's bounty hair skin and nails.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 17, 2016 - 11:04am.

My hair is thinning evenly but is still have hair. Luckily I don't have a balding spot or a receding hairline.

I used to laugh at balding fat old men in sports cars. I try to not become like that.

Submitted by flyer on February 17, 2016 - 5:45pm.

A friend has been going through this, and he decided to see both an endo and a dermo, so you might want to consider those options so they can run some tests and try to get to the bottom of it.

He found that stress and genetics were contributing to the problem, but he was also deficient in several vitamins and nutrients, so he is now dealing with it on several levels, which, last time we talked, seem to be helping. You also might want to check out Nioxin hair products which is what he is now using.

Submitted by paramount on February 17, 2016 - 5:54pm.

I've got a possible easy solution for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Premium...

Note: 6,000 very high reviews...

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 17, 2016 - 8:56pm.

Jimmmy kimmel felt Hillary's hair. It's real!
She's lucky to have such good hair.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture...

Submitted by NotCranky on February 17, 2016 - 9:57pm.

Top two posts together read like a mid-life crisis.

Submitted by svelte on February 18, 2016 - 7:50am.

You guys worry way too much about hair.

If you lose it in your 20s, yeah that would be a bummer. But by the time you're 40s or even 30s, no big deal.

Agree that large and bald isn't too great a look, but svelte and bald is pretty sharp.

My wife and I went to see Furious 7 due to something that was in it that piqued my interest. My son told me his GF was dying to see it, they went and she loved it. Now she's not a car or action movie person, so I figured it had to be the guys in the film. To my surprise, most have a shaved head! Not sure which one had her interest, but I found it interesting.

Shaving my head is actually very liberating. Minimizes get-ready time in the AM. Looks very masculine. Haven't noticed any difference in how I'm treated. Only drawbacks: when it's very cold (but a black beanie looks really good!) and it's hard to shake up my looks (so I change facial hair styles once in a while).

Other than that, no regrets. I think it looks way better than gray hair actually...those dudes walking around with large manes of gray look o-l-d.

Submitted by joec on February 19, 2016 - 7:28pm.

svelte wrote:
You guys worry way too much about hair.

If you lose it in your 20s, yeah that would be a bummer. But by the time you're 40s or even 30s, no big deal.

Agree that large and bald isn't too great a look, but svelte and bald is pretty sharp.

My wife and I went to see Furious 7 due to something that was in it that piqued my interest. My son told me his GF was dying to see it, they went and she loved it. Now she's not a car or action movie person, so I figured it had to be the guys in the film. To my surprise, most have a shaved head! Not sure which one had her interest, but I found it interesting.

Shaving my head is actually very liberating. Minimizes get-ready time in the AM. Looks very masculine. Haven't noticed any difference in how I'm treated. Only drawbacks: when it's very cold (but a black beanie looks really good!) and it's hard to shake up my looks (so I change facial hair styles once in a while).

Other than that, no regrets. I think it looks way better than gray hair actually...those dudes walking around with large manes of gray look o-l-d.

Shaved heads look good if you are buff/fit/muscular...but if you are skinny or scrawny, a shaved head only looks like you have cancer and are undergoing chemo...

I think no hair at age 40+ and people not caring is only true because a lot of people have kids and are married so they "loss" the need/desire to impress the ladies (to get married/sex/etc...).

Without that care, some people (me included) see it as a waste of time/resources to look great/etc or spend a lot of money to achieve it.

This applies almost only to men as women seem to care even at age 70+. See those old grandmas carrying umbrellas on a sunny day? No one cares if you look old and wrinkly!

Submitted by svelte on February 20, 2016 - 2:07am.

joec wrote:

Shaved heads look good if you are buff/fit/muscular...but if you are skinny or scrawny, a shaved head only looks like you have cancer and are undergoing chemo...

Agree with this...

joec wrote:

I think no hair at age 40+ and people not caring is only true because a lot of people have kids and are married so they "loss" the need/desire to impress the ladies (to get married/sex/etc...).

Without that care, some people (me included) see it as a waste of time/resources to look great/etc or spend a lot of money to achieve it.

What? Where did the "not caring" come from???

Look, I've been around quite a bit and I can tell you: yes there are a few women who care about a full head of hair...just like there are a few men who care about a huge rack. Is either position common? No! Though the common perception is that it is.

Truth be told, most men and women like more of the total package...they don't make final decisions on one aspect.

Do more women prefer a full head of hair than a shaved head? probably. But from what I've witnessed it is not a huge difference.

Do more men prefer a large chest than a smaller chest? probably. But again from what I've seen not a huge difference.

It's all in how you feel about yourself. if you come across as confident (not full of yourself) and self-assured, you'll do just fine.

My wife is well-stacked. Do I enjoy that? Yes! But we have "friends" where the female is on the small to medium size. Does it affect how much I'm attracted to them? no! They are very sexy! I think it has made them more self-confident realizing that...I have what most women think is the ultimate woman, yet I find a lot of sizes/shapes/personas attractive, including them.

You'll find the same thing vice-versa.

Chill, dudes. Take care of yourself. Be confident but not an arse. You'll do just fine.

Submitted by njtosd on February 20, 2016 - 9:30am.

For a while there were the pony tail men. Now there are the shaved head men. What's on the horizon, in terms of man coifs?

Submitted by bearishgurl on February 20, 2016 - 9:39am.

njtosd wrote:
For a while there were the pony tail men. Now there are the shaved head men. What's on the horizon, in terms of man coifs?
In my demographic, there seems to be quite a few of the Trump comb-overs combined with the Willie Nelson braid, lol ....

Submitted by bearishgurl on February 20, 2016 - 9:44am.

Not so much here, but in my travels (specifically CO) a large portion of Gen Y men seem to be sporting pony tails with groomed facial hair. And it looks great with a full head of thick hair! Of course, that's what I was "attracted to" when I was that age (except mens' facial hair wasn't that "well-groomed" back in the day), lol ....

And no, I'm no cougar :=0

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.