San Diego Housing Market News and Analysis
Ocean Beach's rapid gentrification
User Forum Topic
Submitted by gzz on March 1, 2015 - 2:45pm
I liked OB a lot when I moved here in 2006, but it has only gotten better.
The oversized vehicle law has improved the quality of life here more than any other single factor.
No more rows of tall ugly campers taking up all the street parking and blocking views. I've always had multiple off-street spots and it was still a nuisance for me. It is an even bigger improvement for the 1/3 of us who have to park on the street, and the even larger group without extra guest parking.
The beach alcohol and smoking bans have also made it a nicer place with less litter and noise.
We are also seeing a steady improvement in the quality of businesses here:
1. Noodle House opened, then expanded, then opened up a 2nd location.
2. Newport went from having one place with sushi when I moved here to five.
3. Warehouse is a lot nicer than Portugalia which it replaced.
4. A run down auto body shop on cable was renovated into a LEED certified office building that's pretty and nicely landscaped.
5. Everyone wanted the old apple tree to become a new supermarket, but I have to admit the new CVS is really nice, and has a ton of free parking. Apple Tree will probably reopen on Newport later.
6. People's is going to build a new restaurant where Tiny's Tavern is located. Tiny's was my 3rd favorite bar, but we have too many of them already. It will probably be something beautiful with solar panels and another jacarundi shaded parking area. The 2nd floor deli in People's is already amazing, a bigger sit-down version could easily be the finest vegetarian restaurant in San Diego.
7. While I am not a fan of Pizza Port, it's much nicer from the outside than the ugly, bright red, windowless place it replaced.
8. Hungary Lu's on Voltaire is an upgrade on the old sub place that used to be there. The pizza and chocolate canoli are my favorite.
9. AZ went from a rundown bar to a fairly nice one.
10. Azucar, a cuban cafe, is really nice. I don't remember what it replaced.
11. The middle eastern place on bacon is a nice addition with late hours. Quality is average, but portion sizes are very good.
12. Oscar's Mexican Seafood is very good, with a nice renovation with polished hardwood everything. The old place was so dirty looking I never ate there.
~Active forum topics~