Noob wants to build a Granny Flat.

User Forum Topic
Submitted by mike92104 on February 24, 2015 - 10:02pm

The title says it all. I want to build a small granny flat or companion unit on my property on the city of San Diego (SDSU area). I know nothing about the process. Where do I start?

Mike

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 25, 2015 - 12:34am.

Start with a trip to city planning.
You will quickly find out what you're zoned for -- setbacks, max square footage, etc....

You may not be able to build detached with kitchen.

You could build attached up to max square footage allowed. Then after you pass inspection, go back and do improvements without permits, but, of course up to code. That could be a problem if a future buyer cares. But in a strong market you could say "take it or leave it."

Or if a neighbor reports you to the "gestapo". Just keep your lips zipped and don't talk to the neighbors.

Submitted by mike92104 on February 25, 2015 - 12:58pm.

Thanks. I'll schedule an appointment.

Submitted by CA renter on February 26, 2015 - 12:37am.

We know a really good contractor who built a large addition to our house. He's in North County, but might work there or know somebody who does. Let me know if you'd like his info.

Submitted by mike92104 on February 26, 2015 - 9:19pm.

CA renter wrote:
We know a really good contractor who built a large addition to our house. He's in North County, but might work there or know somebody who does. Let me know if you'd like his info.

I'd love that. Thanks.

Submitted by CA renter on February 27, 2015 - 4:43am.

mike92104 wrote:
CA renter wrote:
We know a really good contractor who built a large addition to our house. He's in North County, but might work there or know somebody who does. Let me know if you'd like his info.

I'd love that. Thanks.

His name is Brooks Worthing. Another Pigg (who didn't end up using him because they sold and bought another house that suited them better, but was very impressed with his professionalism) recommended him to us and he was the most professional, put-together contractor I've ever known. We just had one of his electricians to our house today, years after the remodel (we love him, too). He's been in the business for many years -- decades, actually -- and has built longstanding relationships with some truly exceptional contractors.

He's not "cheap," but you should never want a cheap contractor, especially for a job this big, IMHO. But he is very fair and completes the job on time (or better) and within budget. We cannot recommend him highly enough.

They do both design and build. You can do one or both through them. If he's not willing to work outside of North County, definitely ask him for a referral to someone who works closer to San Diego.

http://www.baworthinginc.com/design.html

Best of luck!

Submitted by mike92104 on February 28, 2015 - 10:50pm.

CA renter wrote:
mike92104 wrote:
CA renter wrote:
We know a really good contractor who built a large addition to our house. He's in North County, but might work there or know somebody who does. Let me know if you'd like his info.

I'd love that. Thanks.

His name is Brooks Worthing. Another Pigg (who didn't end up using him because they sold and bought another house that suited them better, but was very impressed with his professionalism) recommended him to us and he was the most professional, put-together contractor I've ever known. We just had one of his electricians to our house today, years after the remodel (we love him, too). He's been in the business for many years -- decades, actually -- and has built longstanding relationships with some truly exceptional contractors.

He's not "cheap," but you should never want a cheap contractor, especially for a job this big, IMHO. But he is very fair and completes the job on time (or better) and within budget. We cannot recommend him highly enough.

They do both design and build. You can do one or both through them. If he's not willing to work outside of North County, definitely ask him for a referral to someone who works closer to San Diego.

http://www.baworthinginc.com/design.html

Best of luck!

Thanks a bunch.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.