OT:Looming Disaster for the Temecula Area: Liberty Quarry/Mega Mine

Member logins have been temporarily disabled. Please try again later.
User Forum Topic
Submitted by paramount on April 3, 2011 - 12:47am

It's been in works for years, and honestly I never thought it would be approved or even be seriously considered given the detrimental impacts the proposed location would have on the Temecula area. I'm referring to the proposed Liberty Quarry and Asphalt Plant/Mega Mine that would be just across the 15 freeway and to the south of Temecula.

Temecula is essentially directly downwind from the proposed quarry. Not to mention that the location of the quarry would be right smack in a pristine ecological preserve ran by SDSU.

Obviously, and as the EIR states, there will be significant air quality, traffic and other impacts to Temecula and the surrounding region including Fallbrook.

Were talking constant plumes of silica, microscopic quartz crystals, dust and diesel soot settling down on Temecula at least 20 hours per day for 50 years or more - not to mention noise from blasting.

Make no mistake: Temecula is in for the fight of it's life. And right now, it looks like Temecula is loosing.

Submitted by bearishgurl on April 3, 2011 - 11:35am.

paramount, if this project has "been in the works for years," then wouldn't those who bought properties in the TV region in the last 10-15 years have heard about it or have known about it prior to signing on the dotted line? Did they buy thinking that it would never come about??

That's what a lot of people thought about I-15 being built through SD metro (and connecting with I-5 in National City). The plans (large detailed relief maps) had been hung in both the CALTRANS building in Old Town and the County Public Works "Ruffin Rd" annex bldg since the mid-80's. Until the lawsuits with environmental groups were all adjudicated/settled, many people thought it would never happen. As the last suits were about to disappear, a lot of folks rushed in to buy up as many properties on "40th St" that they could as fast as they could, so they could board them up and turn around and sell them (at a profit) to CALTRANS for the State's "fair market-value payment" in lieu of eminent domain proceedings, lol.

It turned out that I-15 and its subsequent "cut and cover projects" in City Heights was the best thing that ever happened to the area!

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for a noisy and dirty "upwind" quarry/mega mine :=[

Submitted by urbanrealtor on April 3, 2011 - 1:46pm.

Its ironic how these real events can have such an impact.
I am not saying that Temecula will go this direction but environmental concerns can shift business-friendly pro-growth areas into a more environmentally conscious mindset.

San Francisco had the Freeway Revolt in the late 50's.
This is pretty much acknowledged as the beginning of the shift from a conservative military town to what it has become.
Cleveland's river fire effectively created the EPA.
Cleveland is one of the most lefty cities in the midwest now.
Its something that public officials should consider when they get too friendly with business.
Decisions that affect the lives of many, have a way of influencing future elections.

Submitted by Arraya on April 3, 2011 - 4:04pm.

urbanrealtor wrote:
Its ironic how these real events can have such an impact.
I am not saying that Temecula will go this direction but environmental concerns can shift business-friendly pro-growth areas into a more environmentally conscious mindset.
.

Watching the neighborhood burn down for a few bucks can do that

Submitted by paramount on April 3, 2011 - 5:06pm.

bearishgurl wrote:
paramount, if this project has "been in the works for years," then wouldn't those who bought properties in the TV region in the last 10-15 years have heard about it or have known about it prior to signing on the dotted line? Did they buy thinking that it would never come about??

I learned about the quarry 5 years ago, maybe it's been kept quiet up until recently.

It's in such a bad location (IMO) in relation to large population centers I never thought it would happen.

If it goes through, I will partially blame it on the public employee unions. Riverside County is so desperate for revenue they will throw Temecula under the bus in a heartbeat.

Submitted by urbanrealtor on April 3, 2011 - 9:30pm.

paramount wrote:

I learned about the quarry 5 years ago, maybe it's been kept quiet up until recently.

It's in such a bad location (IMO) in relation to large population centers I never thought it would happen.

If it goes through, I will partially blame it on the public employee unions. Riverside County is so desperate for revenue they will throw Temecula under the bus in a heartbeat.

I don't buy that as an argument for a minute.
The taxes in the Temecula through Sun City area are higher than almost anywhere else in the state. And most of them get around Prop 13 by be usage based and not ad-valorem.

The per-property tax pull on those places is huge.

My point is that I doubt that they would mess with that equation much for a small number.

My guess is that the Temecula constituency has a pro-business leaning and that the county powers got sold a story about how low impact (and good for business) it would be.
And I suppose in the end there could be very little quality of life impact.
However, it only takes a few scandals or public dustups for the public to totally lose faith in their leaders.
The pension issue here was the first time I ever heard broad public criticism from the local media of our local government.
Now that criticism and public cynicism seems like the norm.

Submitted by paramount on April 3, 2011 - 11:23pm.

urbanrealtor wrote:

And I suppose in the end there could be very little quality of life impact.

I hope that is the case, but even the EIR states there will be significant pollution, air quality and traffic impacts that cannot be mitigated.

The City of Temecula has spent large sums of money fighting this quarry, even attempting to annex the entire area where the asphalt/cement operation would be located.

Submitted by StaunchLibertarian on April 4, 2011 - 12:47am.

paramount wrote:

If it goes through, I will partially blame it on the public employee unions. Riverside County is so desperate for revenue they will throw Temecula under the bus in a heartbeat.

Please. Temecula Republicans/Libertarians are getting exactly what they asked for. Temecula is represented by Republican Darrell Issa. Darrell Issa's main concern is whether 'government is holding back your business.'

http://issa.house.gov/

What happens when government (also known as 'the people') is not allowed to 'hold back business?' What happens is projects like this quarry which will benefit a few wealthy businesspersons while potentially harming tens of thousands gets the go-ahead.

In fact, Darrell Issa was a supporter of the quarry.

http://mail.thevillagenews.com/story/28235/

He accepted campaign contributions from the quarry owners.

http://thatsmycongress.com/index.php/200...

What's Darrell Issa doing right now? Probably gutting environmental regulations.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/021...

Don't worry though. In accordance with Libertarian principles you can seek monetary compensation though the courts should your health or property be damaged. You can expect to be reimbursed for any damages in 5-20 years assuming you don't go bankrupt or die first.

It'll be interesting to see how many in Temecula continue to hold fast to their Republican and Libertarian principles now that they get to experience it first-hand rather than just in theory.

Submitted by CA renter on April 5, 2011 - 2:45am.

Great post, StaunchLibertarian.

Submitted by carlsbadworker on April 5, 2011 - 8:22pm.

So what should Temecula residents do?

Submitted by paramount on April 5, 2011 - 8:31pm.

CA renter wrote:
Great post, StaunchLibertarian.

I for one am only a Libertarian in the Constitutional/Liberal sense. Not in the sense that it's ok to build a quarry next to my house; I'll leave that line of thinking to the Reagan/Gingrich Republicans which apparently aren't that large in numbers around Temecula.

Submitted by paramount on April 5, 2011 - 8:44pm.

carlsbadworker wrote:
So what should Temecula residents do?

The first thing sensible Temecula residents should do is vigorously oppose Granite construction and their filthy asphalt/cement plant.

Most of the material from the plant is destined for San Diego anyway, so I say build it there. I suspect that this mine was proposed in part due to rising fuel costs. Is it just a coincidence that Liberty Quarry was sited just over the San Diego county line?

If approved and developed, residents should then seriously consider abandoning their homes depending on how far or close to the mine it is.

Submitted by StaunchLibertarian on April 5, 2011 - 9:52pm.

paramount wrote:

I for one am only a Libertarian in the Constitutional/Liberal sense. Not in the sense that it's ok to build a quarry next to my house; I'll leave that line of thinking to the Reagan/Gingrich Republicans which apparently aren't that large in numbers around Temecula.

Yes, not that large in number except for Republican Darrell Issa, the guy who Temecula elected to represent them.

Submitted by paramount on July 19, 2011 - 10:22pm.

Shadowcatcher wrote:
I was at yesterday's public meeting regarding the EIR.

This would be a heck of a good time for all opposed to Liberty Quarry to start making a concerted ruckus - and enlisting friends to do the same.

If you do not, that quarry is on its way.

Here's a start:

http://sacredskysacredearth.com/2011/07/16/save-the-last-river/

Well, it's pretty clear that Roth was pro quarry from the start given that he (and maybe one other commission member) fought to curb opponent comments at the hearings.

We also now know that most if not all supervisors took money from granite.

Yes, I agree the commission will move to approve.

The fight will be in the court room and it will go on for years if not decades I guarantee it....

Major wars will have been settled in less time.

Submitted by paramount on July 19, 2011 - 10:29pm.

The next hearing will be August 15th.

Submitted by gandalf on July 19, 2011 - 10:51pm.

This is a hilarious fucking post. I chuckled out loud.

I hope it goes forward.

"Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you."

Submitted by NewtoSanDiego on July 20, 2011 - 5:13am.

Listen, this is a job creator.

Where do you think that we can get crushed gravel for? It has to come from somewhere.

The wine industry in Temecula cannot generate enough jobs. The Quary will generate good paying jobs, jobs that will help put food on the table for alot of people

I'm sick of the liberal upraised polo shirt yuppies sipping their wine in Temecula driving their Priuss. This quary will be an asset to the community!

Submitted by scaredyclassic on July 20, 2011 - 5:58am.

I'm a liberal not upraised no polo shirts not a yuppie (not young anymore) gulping wine in temecula not driving a prius, worse, riding a bicycle, concerned about the quarry. But...

how bad is this thing? should I actually be concerned?

It's difficult to tell? Do other large population centers have quarries near them?

I value air that is breathable as I rely on the air for basic life funtions.

Submitted by GH on July 20, 2011 - 10:32am.

pri_dk wrote:
I think the only thing the quarry will do is give San Diegans another reason to believe Temecula is some sort of suburban hell-hole.

I work up there from time to time and the evening traffic is horrendous. That, the smog and high temps, I would prefer to live in a tent in San Diego...

Submitted by lookingagain on July 20, 2011 - 4:37pm.

walterwhite wrote:
I'm a liberal not upraised no polo shirts not a yuppie (not young anymore) gulping wine in temecula not driving a prius, worse, riding a bicycle, concerned about the quarry. But...

how bad is this thing? should I actually be concerned?

It's difficult to tell? Do other large population centers have quarries near them?

I value air that is breathable as I rely on the air for basic life funtions.

Well, I cannot compare the size and scope of this project to others since I know nothing about it, but to answer part of your question there are at least two quarries that I know of in the middle of San Diego. One north of Friars Road just east of Fashion Valley, and a second in the valley that separates Mira Mesa from Miramar This one has to be at least 3 sq. mi. in area). There may be others as well, but these two do not appear to make too much of an impact on the surrounding area.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 7:42pm.

gandalf wrote:
This is a hilarious fucking post. I chuckled out loud.

I hope it goes forward.

"Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you."

In a twist of irony given your alias I have decided to put a curse on you.

You hateful evil troll.

You dickhead.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 7:45pm.

walterwhite wrote:
I'm a liberal not upraised no polo shirts not a yuppie (not young anymore) gulping wine in temecula not driving a prius, worse, riding a bicycle, concerned about the quarry. But...

how bad is this thing? should I actually be concerned?

It's difficult to tell? Do other large population centers have quarries near them?

I value air that is breathable as I rely on the air for basic life funtions.

Yes this is bad, and if you live within 10 miles of the proposed pit site YES you should be concerned.

Scratch that - you should be at the hearings!!!

Diesel soot, silica, quartz crystals that lodge in your lungs. All directly upwind from Temecula.

This is bad, very bad.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 7:47pm.

lookingagain wrote:
walterwhite wrote:
I'm a liberal not upraised no polo shirts not a yuppie (not young anymore) gulping wine in temecula not driving a prius, worse, riding a bicycle, concerned about the quarry. But...

how bad is this thing? should I actually be concerned?

It's difficult to tell? Do other large population centers have quarries near them?

I value air that is breathable as I rely on the air for basic life funtions.

Well, I cannot compare the size and scope of this project to others since I know nothing about it, but to answer part of your question there are at least two quarries that I know of in the middle of San Diego. One north of Friars Road just east of Fashion Valley, and a second in the valley that separates Mira Mesa from Miramar This one has to be at least 3 sq. mi. in area). There may be others as well, but these two do not appear to make too much of an impact on the surrounding area.

If built as currently proposed, liberty open pit mine will be among the largest in the country.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 7:52pm.

GH wrote:
pri_dk wrote:
I think the only thing the quarry will do is give San Diegans another reason to believe Temecula is some sort of suburban hell-hole.

I work up there from time to time and the evening traffic is horrendous. That, the smog and high temps, I would prefer to live in a tent in San Diego...

Do us all a favor and stay the hell out you dip shit.

I'd be willing to bet the air in Temecula is cleaner than many areas of San Diego.

And your probably not even really from San Diego (and even if you were BFD).

In reading your comments it's also clear you don't even know what the hell your talking about.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 7:55pm.

pri_dk wrote:
NewtoSanDiego wrote:
Listen, this is a job creator.

Where do you think that we can get crushed gravel for? It has to come from somewhere.

The wine industry in Temecula cannot generate enough jobs. The Quary will generate good paying jobs, jobs that will help put food on the table for alot of people

I'm sick of the liberal upraised polo shirt yuppies sipping their wine in Temecula driving their Priuss. This quary will be an asset to the community!

Granite Construction claims the quarry will create 100 jobs.

Population of the Temecula Valley: More than 200,000

The quarry will exist for 75 years and create 100 jobs.

No more. Zero job growth after the initial 100.

Many of these employees - the ones requiring special skills - will probably be hired from elsewhere.

Digging holes in the ground is not exactly a growth industry.

The wine and hospitality industries already employ many hundreds, and are growing.

I'm sick of the bible-thumping monster-truck-driving unemployed construction workers masturbating to Rush Limbaugh three hours a day. This quarry won't do jack for Temecula.

I agree, and I actually think there would be a net loss of employment.

Put this turd in San Diego where it belongs.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 8:14pm.

pri_dk wrote:
Our good friend paramount crying doom-and-gloom about Temecula?

Gee, that's a surprise.

I'm against the quarry, but also will not be too worried if it is built. Pollution will not be a problem. Why? Because after all the claims they've made at these hearings they'll get sued to oblivion as soon as there is a detectable problem.

Can't blame Issa for this one either. It's a county issue. The problem is that Riverside county is huge, so dumbass supervisors from way out parts like Indio don't care about Temecula, and don't care about Riverside county's reputation as the armpit of Southern California.

I think the only thing the quarry will do is give San Diegans another reason to believe Temecula is some sort of suburban hell-hole.

BTW, paramount, have you seen the construction trucks on the site of the hospital that would never be built? And where's the link to those public school API scores? Oh look, there's a hot air balloon just outside my window...

prik: Your like an amateur chess player up against Garry Kasparov. I'm like 10 moves ahead of you - seriously.

Submitted by GH on July 20, 2011 - 8:18pm.

paramount wrote:
GH wrote:
pri_dk wrote:
I think the only thing the quarry will do is give San Diegans another reason to believe Temecula is some sort of suburban hell-hole.

I work up there from time to time and the evening traffic is horrendous. That, the smog and high temps, I would prefer to live in a tent in San Diego...

Do us all a favor and stay the hell out you dip shit.

I'd be willing to bet the air in Temecula is cleaner than many areas of San Diego.

And your probably not even really from San Diego (and even if you were BFD).

In reading your comments it's also clear you don't even know what the hell your talking about.

92130 zip code if you care. Next time I am up there I will snap off a pic and post just to compare. IMO not worth the savings living there, but what do you care what I think?

And... no need to get stroppy, just my $0.02 opinion on a public blog.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 8:58pm.

GH wrote:
paramount wrote:
GH wrote:
pri_dk wrote:
I think the only thing the quarry will do is give San Diegans another reason to believe Temecula is some sort of suburban hell-hole.

I work up there from time to time and the evening traffic is horrendous. That, the smog and high temps, I would prefer to live in a tent in San Diego...

Do us all a favor and stay the hell out you dip shit.

I'd be willing to bet the air in Temecula is cleaner than many areas of San Diego.

And your probably not even really from San Diego (and even if you were BFD).

In reading your comments it's also clear you don't even know what the hell your talking about.

92130 zip code if you care. Next time I am up there I will snap off a pic and post just to compare. IMO not worth the savings living there, but what do you care what I think?

And... no need to get stroppy, just my $0.02 opinion on a public blog.

Wow, you really aren't from San Diego.

And I always find a need to get 'stroppy' with arrogant phonies who dis my hood.

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 9:09pm.

I have probably lived in San Diego longer than most on this board, same goes for Temecula. For the average family, San Diego has absolutely nothing on Temecula. Nothing.

In fact, I think Temecula is way better than most areas of San Diego. Temecula is in a prettier area than most of San Diego, the schools in Temecula are top notch, wine country..I could go on.

More than anything living in Temecula means one parent can more often than not stay home with the kids without living in a ghetto. Something this country needs more parents to do IMO.

Submitted by bearishgurl on July 20, 2011 - 9:47pm.

paramount wrote:
I have probably lived in San Diego longer than most on this board, same goes for Temecula. For the average family, San Diego has absolutely nothing on Temecula. Nothing.

In fact, I think Temecula is way better than most areas of San Diego. Temecula is in a prettier area than most of San Diego, the schools in Temecula are top notch, wine country..I could go on.

More than anything living in Temecula means one parent can more often than not stay home with the kids without living in a ghetto. Something this country needs more parents to do IMO.

paramount, don't get defensive. I don't think anyone's "dissing your 'hood." If anything, the Piggs take pleasure in dissing MY hood, lol. I don't take it personally because it stems from ignorance. Many schools are "top notch" in my district, too, and MANY parents around me stay home with kids while the other parent works. For me, convenience to all of metro SD (10 miles to dtn SD) is bar none and my area (western 91910) is NOT freeway dependent.

I think some Piggs might perceive anyplace to be a "ghetto" if the houses in it don't have tile roofs and "Tuscan" styling, lol.

Paramount, I seem to remember that not long ago, YOU were tired of commuting and wanted very much to move closer to your job in SD County. Desirability of areas of So. Riverside County are all contingent upon the daily commute a resident has to make. If the commute is virtually non-existent, say ... by bike, as in scaredy cat's situation, it is totally worth it to live up there. If the daily commute is to another county, God help the homeowner who chooses to move there.

As far as the proposed quarry, I don't see it as an asset. However, its detriment will affect residents of Temecula (and their property values) in varying degrees. If it will be close to the freeway, the air particles it produces could affect daily commuters who are frequently stopped/slowed down in its vicinity.

The quality of a neighborhood has nothing to do with its age, average sf of house, style of average house, building materials used or "average income" of its homeowners. But it has EVERYTHING to do with an area's location, the FINANCIAL STABILITY of its property owners and, in some cases, longevity of the average period of homeownership and average amount of outstanding residential property encumbrance.

And I've probably lived here as long or longer than you :=)

Submitted by paramount on July 20, 2011 - 10:18pm.

GH wrote:
paramount wrote:
GH wrote:
pri_dk wrote:
I think the only thing the quarry will do is give San Diegans another reason to believe Temecula is some sort of suburban hell-hole.

I work up there from time to time and the evening traffic is horrendous. That, the smog and high temps, I would prefer to live in a tent in San Diego...

Do us all a favor and stay the hell out you dip shit.

I'd be willing to bet the air in Temecula is cleaner than many areas of San Diego.

And your probably not even really from San Diego (and even if you were BFD).

In reading your comments it's also clear you don't even know what the hell your talking about.

92130 zip code if you care. Next time I am up there I will snap off a pic and post just to compare. IMO not worth the savings living there, but what do you care what I think?

And... no need to get stroppy, just my $0.02 opinion on a public blog.

The most sickening part about attitudes like this is the denigration of the United States implicit in the comment.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.