It's a bad day for human beings

User Forum Topic
Submitted by zk on November 9, 2016 - 7:53am

President Donald Trump.

Jesus.

You idiots have gone and done it.

Dear trump voter,

You've been bamboozled. Tricked.

You're a chump. A fool.

You think he's going to build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it? You're a credulous buffoon.

You think he's going to "fix" Washington? "Drain the swamp?" You've been hoodwinked.

You think he's going to be able to deal effectively with foreign leaders? Especially ones that criticize him? You're a fool.

You think he's going to bring jobs back to America? You're deluded.

You think he's going to lead with any kind of common sense, even after all the things he's said and done? You're blind.

You think his threats to not pay our debts will have no effect? Think again.

You think his desire to throttle free speech when it insults him is a good thing? You'd probably "vote" for Mussolini.

You think his isolationist ideas will be good for America? Even if that did turn out to be true (highly doubtful), you're a selfish bastard.

You think his rhetoric on women and minorities and foreigners won't continue to have a corrosive effect on our society? You're deplorable.

You think he'll take any responsibility for his actions and mistakes when he hasn't done anything of the sort ever? You’re a credulous bumpkin.

You don't care that he didn't know Russia invaded Ukraine and didn't know what the nuclear triad is? You're ignorant.

He’s shown you virtually no detailed policy proposals, yet you think whatever he comes up with will be good for you? Jesus, that’s pathetic.

You think he's a good businessman? You're easily tricked. He started with millions of dollars and then cheated, lied, stole, declared bankruptcy, and still didn't make more than an index fund would've.

You don't care that he didn't release his tax returns? You are, pathetically, a pigeon in the thrall of a Barnum.

You don't care that he didn't pay hard-working people he had promised to pay? And you still think he's for the "little guy?" You're a patsy.

You're glad to have a president who thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax? Your children and your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren will pay for that.

You don’t care about all the misogynistic, xenophobic comments that he made? You’ve chosen a disastrous role model for your children and grandchildren and the results of that are your fault.

You think it's a good thing that he wants the military to follow orders from him even if they're illegal? You live in a fantasy world.

You think it’s ok to threaten to not honor our NATO obligations? You have made the world a more dangerous place.

You put in office a “man” who wants more countries to have nuclear weapons? You’ve added even more danger.

You gave the nuclear codes to a man who responds to every insult with an attack? My god, what the fuck is wrong with you?

You put in office a man who wants to kill the families of terrorists? You're a sorry excuse for a human being.

You think he cares about you or about this country or about anything but his fucked-up, orange self? You're a joke.

You're glad that idiots like you have been given a voice? You're about to find out just how much of an idiot you are and that you should have just shut the fuck up.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 23, 2018 - 2:07am.

zk wrote:
gromit wrote:
zk wrote:
I think we're approaching the screeching monkey phase.

And still most of the people who voted for trump don't get it.

Imbeciles.

After the news about Mattis's resignation came out yesterday, I checked foxnews online just to see what they were saying about it. It wasn't even a top story - I had to search to find it on their front page. And of course all it said was that Mattis was going to resign (as though it was an ordinary transition in due course), and the article quoted TRUMP'S TWEETS, not Mattis's resignation letter!!!!

No wonder MAGA-folk are such unrelenting Trump supporters, they aren't even getting the news. I guess I knew this on some level, but I never look at foxnews, so this was a depressing/ alarming realization - the extent to which they're being kept ignorant.

I looked at fox, and of course I saw the exact same thing. I would have been shocked if I had seen anything else.

As I've been saying for years, right-wing media are destroying our country in almost exactly the manner you describe. Where I would differ is that I think it's worse than them being kept ignorant; they're being disinformed. They're constantly being fed disinformation by fox and infowars and the rest of the right-wing propaganda machine. This disinformation includes false information about liberals and their positions and their ideas and their priorities. It includes false information about conservatives and their priorities and their policies and the effects of their policies.

They've created an alternate universe where trump is a stable genius, democrats want as many undocumented immigrants in the country as possible, tax cuts for the rich will benefit the poor, republican men are manly and strong while liberals are all pansies, and a thousand other "alternative facts" are "true."

They fall for it all. Goebbels would be very impressed.

Fox does it for the profit motive. Isn’t individual profit seeking good for the aggregate?

And the internet was supposed to bring democracy to the world.

If I were Vladimir Putin, I’d be lickin’ my lamb chops cooking up more chaos creation. Did you know that supposed google search bias for the Democrats started in Russian news? Now it’s made it to US Congress.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 23, 2018 - 2:27am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
When your personal lawyer is going to prison and snitching u out it’s a bad sign.

My moms friend had a roofing co that went bankrupt when trump stiffed them on a big job.

Personally I am appalled by prison rape jokes. But For trump and his family....

I don’t think Trump is going to prison no matter his crimes. The establishment will want a fresh start for national reconciliation and to preserve the American brand.

What riles me up is that when the deplorables behaved entitled we “should listen to them.... they have valid grievances”. Oh really? we should treat them like Blacks were treated.

Submitted by zk on December 23, 2018 - 6:34pm.

NeetaT wrote:
Oh no! Here I go again. I'm watching Fox News. Those guys are real deplorables.

They believe in:

1.) Low taxes
2.) Limited government
3.) Secure borders
4.) Respect for law enforcement
5.) They are anti affirmative action.
6.) They don't believe in getting rid of plastic straws.
7.) They don't believe in making people pay for plastic grocery bags.
8.) They believe in personal responsibility.
9.) They don't believe in putting triangle signs on bathroom doors.
10.) They believe that certain criminals should be shot on sight.

OH NO!!!!!

Well, first of all, Neeta, that's a straw man argument. Nobody's calling trump supporters deplorables for the above reasons. We're calling you deplorable because you support a president whose example, whose ideas and comments and actions are deplorable.

In any case, thanks for making my point for me by illustrating precisely what I've been saying all along:

You're an imbecile for worrying about what fox manipulates you into worrying about (your list) when 1) a lot of it is nonsense or trivial (especially compared to the damage trump is causing) 2)what is important on that list assumes that progressives hold the opposite views (which, with the possible exception of limited government - and then only relatively - they don't) and 3)most importantly, you've been distracted and manipulated and disinformed into ignoring (or minimizing or not knowing about) the massive damage that a completely unfit leader is doing to our country.

(fox news): Mattis resigned. We'll give you trump's take on this and only trump's take. Nothing to see here. LOOK OVER THERE! THEY'RE MAKING YOU PAY 10 CENTS FOR A GROCERY BAG!!

Good god, what a chump.

Submitted by svelte on December 23, 2018 - 7:28pm.

NeetaT wrote:
Oh no! Here I go again. I'm watching Fox News. Those guys are real deplorables.

They believe in:

1.) Low taxes
2.) Limited government
3.) Secure borders
4.) Respect for law enforcement
5.) They are anti affirmative action.
6.) They don't believe in getting rid of plastic straws.
7.) They don't believe in making people pay for plastic grocery bags.
8.) They believe in personal responsibility.
9.) They don't believe in putting triangle signs on bathroom doors.
10.) They believe that certain criminals should be shot on sight.

OH NO!!!!!

Interesting that you should pick those particular points.

If the Fox News stance on those issues is what is really important to you, then there is a huge swath of the southeastern United States that agrees with you on most if not all of those points where you might be a wee bit happier.

I should emphasize the word "might".

Submitted by flu on December 23, 2018 - 10:09pm.

I'll take a slightly different approach.... NeetaT, I'm not going to berate you for your viewpoints.

I would tend to be more right leaning moderate myself.

I only encourage you to look into what you are saying and ask yourself how awful or bad some of these things really are.

NeetaT wrote:
Oh no! Here I go again. I'm watching Fox News. Those guys are real deplorables.

They believe in:

1.) Low taxes
2.) Limited government
3.) Secure borders
4.) Respect for law enforcement
5.) They are anti affirmative action.
6.) They don't believe in getting rid of plastic straws.
7.) They don't believe in making people pay for plastic grocery bags.
8.) They believe in personal responsibility.
9.) They don't believe in putting triangle signs on bathroom doors.
10.) They believe that certain criminals should be shot on sight.

OH NO!!!!!

1. Low Taxes:
Neither party these days is really for reducing taxes for the working person. The Republicans are no different than the Democrats, they are just shifting the tax burden someone else. SALT tax cap is a tax on every upper income earner in high state tax/high property tax areas. The reason I particularly like this sort of tax, isn't because I really like more taxes. But this is the first tax I think everyone from both side of the party can feel the pain equally... So as a high net income person, you should be equally pissed about this as every else. So, contrary to your belief, the Republicans didn't do jack didly to lower your taxes this time. They totally screwed you. probably more so than obama/democrats did (because while tax rates did go up, chances are your net worth was also doing well during that time)

2. Limited government:

Again. That's not what this administration is about. GOP was about "free markets" and anti-tariffs. Trump's tariff and protectionist strategy isn't really a Republican playbook. It historically has come from left labor groups that want to justify keeping jobs here when cheaper alternatives exist elsewhere.

I think it's a falsehood to believe that either part really believes in having a smaller government. Both parties want government to be more controlling these days, it's a matter of what to control.

That said, I don't think what the government is now doing (investigating Huawei, pushing back on China and trade secret threat, and curbing forced technology transfer to do business in China) is a bad thing. It was probably long overdue, many folks in the tech industry have been saying this for a long time.

3. Secure borders

Why do you think our borders aren't secure? And do you really believe building a wall will make it secure? I mean seriously. I'm asssuming you are an intelligent professional, not some high school dropout without any critical thinking skills. If our borders wasn't so secure, why haven't we had more terrorist attacks? Also, food for thought. Why have there more more violent crimes commited domestically by US citizens with guns over the past few years versus a muslim terrorist in the U.S., if our border security was so lousy. Clearly, if Obama and Democrats really had an "open border", clearly we would have a lot more Al-Queda attacks on US soil then random US citizens shooting people in schools, movie theaters, and work places, right? Why hasn't that happen over the past 10 years?????? Does it make sense if our borders really aren't secure?

4. Respect law enforcement:
Since when do people not respect law enforcement

5. Anti-affirmative action. Ok, I'm with you on this one.

6. Plastic straws: Have you researched why plastic straws are being eliminated? It's a huge problem with wildlife, because often times they get ingested by animals and it kills them. Is this really that much of a burden to not use a plastic straw? Do you care about wildlife, animals,etc? I mean, you don't even need to be an animal lover (I certainly am not). But doesn't it even bother you that these plastic straws can harm animals? Or do you really not care?

7. What is the difficulty in carrying reusable bags? Do you really need to have free bags all the time? If each of us just reduces the number of plastic bags we don't throw into the landfill, that doesn't disintegrate for 7-10 years, is this really such a bad thing?

8. Ok, I'm with you on this one. But frankly, I'm sorry, most americans that even preach personal responsibility don't actually do it themselves. Here's what I don't get.
Why are some people so against Obamacare but have no issue collecting Social Security? Aren't they really both the same type of government run programs. If we eliminate obamacare, shouldn't we do the same thing for social security? Me personally, I would accept anyone's reasoning for getting rid of obamacare if they also felt the same consistent way about social security. Those,however, that don't I think the real reason why they want to get rid of obamacare is because they don't like Obama, regardless of how bad or good the program would be.

9. How does this affect you personally? Really...It's a serious question

10. Sure, but it's interesting who some of these conservatives identify "criminals" are. If you're white/male, chances are you're less of a criminal.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 23, 2018 - 11:17pm.

If Republicans have superior values, then their families should generally be more upright and less dysfunctional. They should generally be more educated, financially more prosperous, live in more prosperous areas of the country. But demographic data show otherwise, hence the hypocrisy.

Republicans are about blaming others and resisting change/progress under the guise of values. It's a "culture war" as Billy Graham put it. Of course, not all Republicans, but the populist Republicans without whom the right would never win elections.

Drinking with straws is not traditional values. It's actually low-class fast food culture.
Michelle Bachman got the Fox crowds all riled up about LED lights; and Rush Limbaugh got them to stock up on incandescent. Hope they're still using them and playing the electric bill.

And about self reliance, the Red States benefit from huge Federal transfer payments, much more than their proportional GDP contributions, wealth that is generated by states like California.

Submitted by zk on December 23, 2018 - 11:17pm.

flu wrote:
I'll take a slightly different approach....

Great post, flu.

Submitted by flu on December 24, 2018 - 2:40am.

Brian,

It's people like you that caused the rise of the crazy right. If you haven't accepted that you are a major part of what is wrong with America with your fake hypocritical air of Superiority, hiding under the guise of being a progressive liberal, then this sort of crazy alt right will continue. You might get a few victories here and there. But any sort of victory will be short lived and violently swing back and forth between two extremes. People hate your alt left type as much as people hate the fringe alt-right.

And let this be a lesson to most of the rest of you who are moderate leaning left or right leaning....

If you moderste left leaning people expect moderate right people to reject the crazy alt right that has become pervasive in America , you need to do your part and reject the crazy alt left thinking and hypocrisy fridges too.

Neither extremes is helping this country and both extremes are increasingly harming the country in the same way. Stereotypes of both always orginate from the fringes of both parties, and until the moderates of both parties can even begin to work together, both kinds of moderates need to start to acknowledge that is the first priority before anything else can be done.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 24, 2018 - 3:54am.

Errr, no flu.

Liberals have coddled the deplorables long enough.
My own experience with friends, friends of friends and acquaintances is that Republicans like to rant, but If if you throw the shit back at them, they get all pissed off.

If I recall, ZK posted about his golf buddy who watches Fox News. Zk is too nice, but I’m sure that if he were to behave symmetrically, the friend would no longer be friend. Obvious tilted relationship. I challenge anyone to test my observations.

I mean, is there a liberal equivalent of Trump and would that equivalent get away with so much?

If the “somewheres” were smart and self-reliant as they claim, they would get off their asses and become “anywheres”. They wouldn’t be offended at the slightest when we “tell it like it is”. They would take steps to prosper and not be “forgotten”. After all, they claim to be the hardest workers, full of initiative. I said they put up up or STFU.

I disagree with the book author that liberals are clueless. If your employee claims to be smart and know it all, but produces shit work, would you provide training and support or would you fire his ass?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/books...
Explaining Trump, Brexit and Other Expressions of Nationalism

He draws, for example, on the typology set out by the British writer David Goodhart, who divides voters into two categories: Anywheres and Somewheres. The latter tend to live in once-homogeneous towns rather than diverse cities, valuing tradition and rootedness, while the former are footloose, prizing the novel over the long-established and constructing their identity from their individual professional or educational achievements rather than from the collective affiliations into which they were born. In this view, it is the Somewheres, often left behind economically and alienated by the rush to diversity, who have driven the nationalist revival, backing Trump, Brexit and a host of xenophobic politicians across Europe, while Anywheres remain stubbornly clueless about the pain and cultural dislocation their fellow citizens have endured.

The reason I prefer the caravan of migrants over the deplorables is because the migrants are good, kind people. I have been to Mexico and I’m among many Americans who are raising funds for housing and lawyers to assist the asylum seekers.

The deplorables claim to be so good at market economics and individual boostrapping. Well, let them prove themselves.

Submitted by zk on December 24, 2018 - 9:11am.

FlyerInHi wrote:

If I recall, ZK posted about his golf buddy who watches Fox News. Zk is too nice, but I’m sure that if he were to behave symmetrically, the friend would no longer be friend. Obvious tilted relationship. I challenge anyone to test my observations.

Your "observations" are made up, you idiot. Go back and read the posts:

https://www.piggington.com/rightwing_med...

You assumed something. I told you back then I had already tested your assumption and proven it wrong. And here you are, a year later, challenging anyone to test your already-proven-wrong "observation."

Brian, the fact that you are able to ignore the truth probably has something to do with what flu is talking about. You remember and believe what you want to, truth be damned.

I get mistaken for an extreme liberal sometimes, even though I'm a left-leaning moderate. The reason I get mistaken for an extreme is my white-hot, passionate loathing for donald trump and for right-wing propaganda. The reason I hate those things so much is that I absolutely despise when the truth is ignored, when people are manipulated, when people make decisions based on lies.

I would hate left-wing propaganda just as much as right-wing propaganda, but there's so little of it, and it's so ineffective, it's not really hurting our country that much. But it would be hurting the country if it was as powerful and influential as right-wing propaganda.

My point, brian, is that if you're not willing to stick with the truth, if you have to make shit up in order to make your points and back your positions, then you're every single bit as bad as any trump supporter.

Submitted by flu on December 24, 2018 - 9:42am.

zk wrote:
FlyerInHi wrote:

If I recall, ZK posted about his golf buddy who watches Fox News. Zk is too nice, but I’m sure that if he were to behave symmetrically, the friend would no longer be friend. Obvious tilted relationship. I challenge anyone to test my observations.

Your "observations" are made up, you idiot. Go back and read the posts:

https://www.piggington.com/rightwing_med...

You assumed something. I told you back then I had already tested your assumption and proven it wrong. And here you are, a year later, challenging anyone to test your already-proven-wrong "observation."

Brian, the fact that you are able to ignore the truth probably has something to do with what flu is talking about. You remember and believe what you want to, truth be damned.

I get mistaken for an extreme liberal sometimes, even though I'm a left-leaning moderate. The reason I get mistaken for an extreme is my white-hot, passionate loathing for donald trump and for right-wing propaganda. The reason I hate those things so much is that I absolutely despise when the truth is ignored, when people are manipulated, when people make decisions based on lies.

I would hate left-wing propaganda just as much as right-wing propaganda, but there's so little of it, and it's so ineffective, it's not really hurting our country that much. But it would be hurting the country if it was as powerful and influential as right-wing propaganda.

My point, brian, is that if you're not willing to stick with the truth, if you have to make shit up in order to make your points and back your positions, then you're every single bit as bad as any trump supporter.

thank you ... exactly. and it doesn't help Brian you intentionally come her and dig up old threads just to stir political shit up. I know you are having a hard time to find things to do post retirement, but if politics matter so much to you, go camp out on Breitbart or Faux News and troll people there. At least it would be entertaining.

No people, like you don't piss me off. Just pointing out people like you are the reasons why this country have problems. I pity the weak people in this country that let people like you get them pissed off and push them completely over the edge to the opposite side.

While I might not agree with most ZK posts, if I had to work with him to reach a compromise it would be fairly simple I think. Fringy flaky people at the extremes will never be able to contribute to make this country better, because they are too busy trying to prove they are right and others are wrong. and it would be a complete waste of time to even try to engage in any meaningful dialog.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 24, 2018 - 11:29am.

zk wrote:

Your "observations" are made up, you idiot. Go back and read the posts:

https://www.piggington.com/rightwing_med...

You assumed something. I told you back then I had already tested your assumption and proven it wrong. And here you are, a year later, challenging anyone to test your already-proven-wrong "observation."

Brian, the fact that you are able to ignore the truth probably has something to do with what flu is talking about. You remember and believe what you want to, truth be damned.

I get mistaken for an extreme liberal sometimes, even though I'm a left-leaning moderate. The reason I get mistaken for an extreme is my white-hot, passionate loathing for donald trump and for right-wing propaganda. The reason I hate those things so much is that I absolutely despise when the truth is ignored, when people are manipulated, when people make decisions based on lies.

I would hate left-wing propaganda just as much as right-wing propaganda, but there's so little of it, and it's so ineffective, it's not really hurting our country that much. But it would be hurting the country if it was as powerful and influential as right-wing propaganda.

I re-read as you suggested and i found nothing.

You did agree that there is asymmetry in left vs right media. And you said, we should try to lift up everyone for a better country. So very kind of you!

I say we ignore the deplorables or throw them to the free market wolves because that’s exactly what they say they want. Give them exactly what they ask for. They can’t have a problem with that, can they?

Flu says I’m extreme left... really? he doesn’t know what left means. Republicans like to excuse themselves by saying that Trump is extreme right and Hillary is extreme left. That’s objectively false and anyone saying that would fail a political science class.

On the point about how to deal with Fox News lovers on a personal level, don’t try to educate them with facts or even cajole them. Symmetically give them back some of their own medicine. 50% will do. I challenge people do to so with their own friends and relatives and observe.

We don’t need a better country anymore, we are all citizens of that world. We need a better world! The anywheres can prosper in a globalized world. The somewheres will get crushed if they don’t change. The ball is in their court.

zk wrote:

My point, brian, is that if you're not willing to stick with the truth, if you have to make shit up in order to make your points and back your positions, then you're every single bit as bad as any trump supporter.

On the whole, philosophically speaking, maybe I’m as bad as Trump supporters. Ok. I own it. But technically, I’m not symmetrically as bad. I am much better. There’s a difference.

Trump supporters actively seek to put down people (immigrants, dreamers, etc) through policies so they can feel better. I’m only putting down Trump supporters with contempt. And I say that if they want Republican policies, let that live by them. If they were so sure of themvelves, them could take the high road, ignore the “disrespect” and not vote for Trump out of spite.

I am human and I am entitled to human emotions... as deplorables would agree because they are pissed off not on substance but on “feeling” condescended to.

If you were working with a colleague who is certain his way is the best, would you try to “educate” him so the team can succeed or would you let him fail and eat crow. You’re not undermining him.... you just let him be.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 24, 2018 - 11:58am.

Flu, you’re a competitive guy who believes in hard work.
Why would you try to understand a voter in West Virginia who is not that productive, whose skills are obsolete and who votes for Trump?
Would you not demand that he gets off his ass and stop bitchin’. Get some education, move to California.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on December 24, 2018 - 12:44pm.

MUELLER IS LAW ENFORCEMENT.
DOESNT SEEM TO GET ANY RESPECT FROM THE RIGHT.

Submitted by zk on December 24, 2018 - 2:14pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:

If I recall, ZK posted about his golf buddy who watches Fox News. Zk is too nice, but I’m sure that if he were to behave symmetrically, the friend would no longer be friend. Obvious tilted relationship. I challenge anyone to test my observations.


zk wrote:

Your "observations" are made up, you idiot. Go back and read the posts:

FlyerInHi wrote:

I re-read as you suggested and i found nothing.
You did agree that there is asymmetry in left vs right media.


Wow, brian. That’s something trump would do. Get called out on some shit he was obviously wrong about, and then make up some nonsense to make it sound like he was right and then hope nobody notices or cares. I shouldn’t have to spell this out for you, but I’m going to anyway, in case you’re actually too stupid to understand where you went wrong (which I doubt) rather than just trying to manipulate the conversation using misdirection and half-truths: Agreeing that there is asymmetry in the media is not the same as having an asymmetrical friendship. They don't even have anything to do with one another.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 24, 2018 - 2:36pm.

Please point to the exact quote you posted before about your friendship with that Fox News lover. I don’t find it.

All relationships are asymmetrical because of power dynamics. It’s a matter of degrees. If it doesn’t apply to you, then I apologize. My observation is that liberals tend to be more conciliatory “for the greater good”. My point is that doesn’t work. People don’t get it unless given some of their own medicine. That’s the deterrent principle conservatives operate by.

Submitted by flu on December 24, 2018 - 2:48pm.

Zk. Happy holidays. I am not taking the bait from Brian, either on this thread of the other on the "right wing media" he resurrected to start stir shit up again on a real estate blog out of all places, like I said he would do. That's why I haven't even even read each of his ignored posts. Like I said, I know what his motives are, and I don't really want to encourage this mental illness. You cannot reason with someone unreasonable. Have a great holiday.

Submitted by zk on December 24, 2018 - 2:51pm.

flu wrote:
Zk. Happy holidays. I am not taking the bait from Brian, either on this thread of the other on the "right wing media" he resurrected to start stir shit up again on a real estate blog out of all places, like I said he would do. That's why I haven't even even read each of his ignored posts. Like I said, I know what his motives are, and I don't really want to encourage this mental illness. You cannot reason with someone unreasonable. Have a great holiday.

Thanks, flu. I'm basically an atheist, but I celebrate christmas. I love the festiveness, the music, the lights, and the giving.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

Submitted by zk on December 24, 2018 - 2:56pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Please point to the exact quote you posted before about your friendship with that Fox News lover. I don’t find it.

All relationships are asymmetrical because of power dynamics. It’s a matter of degrees. If it doesn’t apply to you, then I apologize. My observation is that liberals tend to be more conciliatory “for the greater good”. My point is that doesn’t work. People don’t get it unless given some of their own medicine. That’s the deterrent principle conservatives operate by.

It's all right there in the link I already provided. Read the whole page.

Apology accepted.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 24, 2018 - 3:52pm.

flu wrote:

If you moderste left leaning people expect moderate right people to reject the crazy alt right that has become pervasive in America , you need to do your part and reject the crazy alt left thinking and hypocrisy fridges too

Complete deflection and not taking responsibility. Why is one behavior contingent upon another behavior? Just do what you think is right.

We have alt-right in the White House. Exactly what is alt-left?

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 31, 2018 - 1:46pm.

I read this piece by EJ Dione. He’s contradictory. He and other progressives understand very well why deplorables are deplorable. What he’s suggesting is that rather than speak the truth about deplorables, we should coddle their sensitive egos.

Progressives always wanted policies to equip our people for a transistion to a more urban globalized/international world. Those policies, with education and infrastructure buildup should have been implemented after NAFTA and rampted up when China joined WTO. However, progressive ideas were rejected in favor of war and badass feel good patriotic rhetoric. So we have what we have today. The onus is on the Republicans, not Democrats.

In the end it’s all about economic anxiety. China is focused on policies that build the economy, whereas the USA is focused on policies that make deplorables momentarily feel good.

Progressives need to understand why people are attracted to Trump and and the far right
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...

I would do the opposite of what EJ Dione suggests. Somebody needs to say it like it is to Trump supporters (with or without government help, they need to upgrade their education, attitude and skills) so they snap out of their delusions. Talking nice to them only enables them further.

Submitted by flu on January 1, 2019 - 7:01am.

Hey NeetaT.

Good news. Not trying to make more straw arguments ( get it, ha!)... But CA didn't ban plastic straws from use.

All they did was prohibit full-service restaurants from serving drinks with plastic straws without the customer asking. You can still ask for a straw.

Submitted by svelte on January 1, 2019 - 12:14pm.

zk wrote:

Thanks, flu. I'm basically an atheist, but I celebrate christmas. I love the festiveness, the music, the lights, and the giving.

Same here zk, on all of the above.

I doubt I would put up a tree or lights if it weren't for the kiddos and wife (who all insist), but I certainly enjoy the displays that others put out.

I use "happy holidays" as opposed to "merry christmas" since it is more inclusive.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 2, 2019 - 3:32pm.

I watched Amy Chua talk about her book, Political Tribes.
I guess I’m a coastal elite even though San Diego is a second tier city. Urban comospolitan, very judgmental, morally superior. etc..

Bob Kagan, who is a neo con, but supported Hillary, also made good points. The deplorables have always been around and there is no equivalence between Trump supporters and “coastal elites”. I love it that he said there is no question to which the answer is Donald Trump.

You too, zk, you’re a coastal elite. But you’re a lot nicer.

https://youtu.be/LdXOQSXdjJo

Ahh, why are Americans so sensitive? I know many Chinese people and they have no problem describing a city first tier or third tier. My Chinese friends frequently use the term “excellent” to describe education, food,etc. things that are not excellent are bad. So why not strive for excellent? Can you imagine officially rating American cities in tiers?

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 6, 2019 - 2:30am.

So i was talking to a friend about a guy who didn’t visit his retired parents for 2 years for voting for Donald Trump. Good for him. He did visit this past Christmas, however.

The dad was a college professor at a shit college and mom was a therapist. They are educated but they are Christians from flyover. The son is now a “coastal elite”. Good thing the parents have come around and have seen the errors of their ways. They are now lamenting all the stuff Trump has done. Their only excuse was that they “couldn’t vote for Hillary.”

Younger folks should not make excuses and enable their relatives. They should push back symmetrically, if not harder. As Trump would do, if you have the power, use it. And old folks need young folks more.

Submitted by zk on January 6, 2019 - 8:15am.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Their only excuse was that they “couldn’t vote for Hillary.”

And you can bet your last nickel that the reason they couldn't vote for Hillary was that right-wing propaganda had filled their heads with nonsense about her.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 6, 2019 - 7:00pm.

zk wrote:
FlyerInHi wrote:
Their only excuse was that they “couldn’t vote for Hillary.”

And you can bet your last nickel that the reason they couldn't vote for Hillary was that right-wing propaganda had filled their heads with nonsense about her.

Yes, right wing nonsense. The parents mentioned Hillary’s emails. The son is in tech and didn’t think it’s any big deal.

Amy Chua said that the populist White working class (Whites without college education) view the “coastal elites” (educated urbanites of all races) as a “market dominant minority” that they resent. Populists are receptive to promises made by authoritarians who manipulate them to gain power. Authoritarians like Trump use the populists but never deliver.

Christopher Wylie, a former director of Cambridge Analytica said it’s done by exploiting mental vulnerabilities to activate neuroticism, paranoia and racial biases.

Submitted by zk on January 6, 2019 - 7:21pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:

Christopher Wylie, a former director of Cambridge Analytica said it’s done by exploiting mental vulnerabilities to activate neuroticism, paranoia and racial biases.

Standard, age-old propaganda methods, I would presume.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.