Ot. I don't feel thankful

User Forum Topic
Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 23, 2017 - 11:50am

Who is there to thank? No one.

I feel lucky at my good outcome in the random lottery that is life. I don't feel like I earned much of my good outcome by my own efforts. All the help I got was random too. I just caught a lot of lucky breaks. Yes, family, society helped me, but these were randomly assigned to my life.

But is a person really grateful for what in essence is merely a big casino win in the roulette wheel spin of life. Or is it just the way the cards played out.

There is no G-d, no force in the universe that gives a rats ass about us, no purpose, no meaning other than what I ascribe to it.

Happy holidays everyone!

Submitted by SK in CV on November 23, 2017 - 2:32pm.

I'm with you.

No god, except the one that makes you capitalize the word, and not spell it out. Habit is GOD! Oops. G-D!

Submitted by zk on November 23, 2017 - 11:13pm.

My Thanksgiving sentiment:

Thanks, random chance!

Submitted by FlyerInHi on November 24, 2017 - 11:31am.

Yesterday, I was thankful to myself for all that I achieved in 2017. I'm feeling good about 2018.

Submitted by zk on November 24, 2017 - 12:37pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Yesterday, I was thankful to myself for all that I achieved in 2017. I'm feeling good about 2018.

You couldn't have achieved any of it without random chance.

Submitted by njtosd on November 25, 2017 - 2:26pm.

You poor guys - and I include Brian because he is just expressing the full-of-himself view that he always does - you're missing out: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...

Submitted by zk on November 25, 2017 - 4:55pm.

njtosd wrote:
You poor guys - and I include Brian because he is just expressing the full-of-himself view that he always does - you're missing out: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201511/how-gratitude-leads-happier-life

I didn't say I'm not grateful. I said I am grateful. I'm grateful to random chance. Seriously. I have a lot of wonderful things in my life. And they're all due to random chance. Random chance has been very, very good to me.

I'm aware that I'm lucky. I'm lucky I was born a white, intelligent, good-looking (when I was younger) male to upper-class parents in the United States in the middle of the twentieth century. Those are seven huge advantages, and I'm not responsible for any of them. Random chance is.

I'm aware that I wouldn't have the life I have now without random chance being good to me. And I am thankful for that.

Submitted by flyer on November 25, 2017 - 6:31pm.

Imo, these types of discussions are really First World problem issues. Whatever we choose to believe the source of our excellence (tongue-in-cheek) to
be--random chance, brilliance, God, luck, etc.--most of us have tremendous advantages in life compared to much of the world, and whether we feel thankful/grateful or not for those advantages is simply a personal choice.

In the final analysis, thankful or not, there is a 100% probability that our lives on earth are temporary, so enjoy while you can.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 25, 2017 - 8:04pm.

they worry more about this religious crap not in the 1st world!

i just cant stand people saying they are blessed, or especially to blessed to be stressed. id be ok if they said they were anointed and favored by the Lord with more vecause theyre superior.

im kind of enjoying things, but im still irritated about being one of the select group to get my taxes jacked up by a bunch of phonies..

Submitted by njtosd on November 25, 2017 - 10:02pm.

zk wrote:
njtosd wrote:
You poor guys - and I include Brian because he is just expressing the full-of-himself view that he always does - you're missing out: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201511/how-gratitude-leads-happier-life

I didn't say I'm not grateful. I said I am grateful. I'm grateful to random chance. Seriously. I have a lot of wonderful things in my life. And they're all due to random chance. Random chance has been very, very good to me.

I'm aware that I'm lucky. I'm lucky I was born a white, intelligent, good-looking (when I was younger) male to upper-class parents in the United States in the middle of the twentieth century. Those are seven huge advantages, and I'm not responsible for any of them. Random chance is.

I'm aware that I wouldn't have the life I have now without random chance being good to me. And I am thankful for that.

So you are saying that you were lucky to be a white male rather than ..... what? Because the alternative (a non white woman - gasp) would be unlucky?

Submitted by zk on November 25, 2017 - 11:13pm.

njtosd wrote:

So you are saying that you were lucky to be a white male rather than ..... what? Because the alternative (a non white woman - gasp) would be unlucky?

Of course. Do you not think that white males have had an advantage in our society over everybody else since our country was founded?

Submitted by harvey on November 26, 2017 - 8:09am.

njtosd wrote:
So you are saying that you were lucky to be a white male rather than ..... what? Because the alternative (a non white woman - gasp) would be unlucky?

That's a novel use of this year's Thanksgiving harvest: Building a strawman.

Submitted by outtamojo on November 26, 2017 - 11:18am.

zk wrote:
njtosd wrote:
You poor guys - and I include Brian because he is just expressing the full-of-himself view that he always does - you're missing out: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201511/how-gratitude-leads-happier-life

I didn't say I'm not grateful. I said I am grateful. I'm grateful to random chance. Seriously. I have a lot of wonderful things in my life. And they're all due to random chance. Random chance has been very, very good to me.

I'm aware that I'm lucky. I'm lucky I was born a white, intelligent, good-looking (when I was younger) male to upper-class parents in the United States in the middle of the twentieth century. Those are seven huge advantages, and I'm not responsible for any of them. Random chance is.

I'm aware that I wouldn't have the life I have now without random chance being good to me. And I am thankful for that.

Wow this is pretty much my life philosophy

Submitted by outtamojo on November 26, 2017 - 11:27am.

njtosd wrote:
You poor guys - and I include Brian because he is just expressing the full-of-himself view that he always does - you're missing out: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201511/how-gratitude-leads-happier-life

Ah, but who should be grateful and who should not, and for what...should we never ask for more than what some think we "deserve" given our station in life? Poor, poor,ungrateful people.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 26, 2017 - 1:26pm.

maybe grateful people are happier. maybe religious people are happier too. but id rather be less happy and not have to believe a lie. given how very selfish we all are, right down to our genes, its difficult to really feel gratitude for anothers help. i subscrive to the theory that there is not one move or breath we take that is not singularly devoted to ourselves...i guess you could maybe frame the apparently selfless act as for another, but i dont see it......but ultimately, we all do what we think is best for us in the moment.

should my kids really be "grateful" to me for whatever i did for them? i dont know. i didnt really do it for them. it was always all about me. bringing them into this ceappy little world because i needed company.

on the other hand, ill be grateful and really enjoy it if the tax bill fails.

Submitted by pokepud3 on November 26, 2017 - 4:13pm.

I'm grateful to be blessed and a believer in God. Usually you don't care about faith until you fall onto hard times, which is why poor people tend to be religious than rich people. When times are good, it's chance or due to your efforts, when times are bad it's gods fault, and he can help you out is how some think.

Don't see how you can look around at the world and the intricate design and beauty within it and still think God is a lie and that it's all completely random. Yes, the family and environment you were born in was a chance, thank I believe, I can understand if you thought that established religion is a lie due to corruption, but god being a lie is a different issue altogether.

I'm thankful to have a head on my shoulders that understands in grey areas, and that not everything is black and white :). Happy Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Turkey weekend.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 26, 2017 - 4:58pm.

Gratitude Card Set

A set of 60 cards to remind us of the many reasons we have to be thankful.

We are experts at focusing on what is missing from our lives. Our dissatisfaction often serves us well; it keeps us from complacency and boredom. But we are also dragged down by a pernicious inability to stop, take stock and recognise what isn't imperfect and appalling.

In our haste to secure the future, we omit to notice what is already very good. This pack of cards is designed to help us pause in our striving and, for a few moments, take on board some of what we have to be grateful for - a consoling, inspiring corrective to the lessons in cynicism and sourness that the world teaches every day.

Example Cards:

There were no outright catastrophes today.
Others forget the stupid things we’ve done faster than we do.
We can reinvent ourselves – a bit.
Other people are usually shyer, sweeter and kinder than we’d anticipated
We have managed to learn a few things down the years
We don’t have to take ourselves seriously
Many of the people we love are still alive.
We could disappear for a bit.
Many of the world’s most interesting people have written down their thoughts
114g | 60 cards in box | 100mm x 80mm x 22mm

20 perc off today from theschooloflife.org!!!

Submitted by zk on November 26, 2017 - 8:27pm.

pokepud3 wrote:

Don't see how you can look around at the world and the intricate design and beauty within it and still think God is a lie and that it's all completely random.

The whole, "the world is so intricate and beautiful that there must be a god" idea is patently ridiculous. You can't fathom that what we see could develop from random matter (even though science can explain most of it, and what it can't explain isn't some unfathomable mystery) but it makes perfect sense to you that a God - omnipotent, omniscient, and able to create all this intricacy and beauty - has always been there?

Most humans believe what they want to believe, which is the only reason anybody believes in their god.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 26, 2017 - 5:53pm.

pokepud3 wrote:
I'm grateful to be blessed and a believer in God. Usually you don't care about faith until you fall onto hard times, which is why poor people tend to be religious than rich people. When times are good, it's chance or due to your efforts, when times are bad it's gods fault, and he can help you out is how some think.

Don't see how you can look around at the world and the intricate design and beauty within it and still think God is a lie and that it's all completely random. Yes, the family and environment you were born in was a chance, thank I believe, I can understand if you thought that established religion is a lie due to corruption, but god being a lie is a different issue altogether.

I'm thankful to have a head on my shoulders that understands in grey areas, and that not everything is black and white :). Happy Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Turkey weekend.

oh its a lie. a big whopping lie. no one cares about us. no one. we are completely and utterly alone. all of us,and we all will die and all our children will die and everyone who has ever known us,will die and everything, everything that constitutes us will be utterly forgotten with no trace left in the universe. everything we ever thought or did was the result of random chemical processes with no meaning outside the meaning we briefly thought it had, which it didnt.

everyone has lied about everything to you, not one single thing you know is true.

somehow i find these thoughts cheering.

Submitted by moneymaker on November 26, 2017 - 9:41pm.

I'm thankful that my dog likes popcorn, otherwise I would have to pick it up after I accidentally drop it on the floor. I'm thankful for being able to watch the miss universe contest on a 70" TV. they all seems so homogeneous looking, but love the accents.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 27, 2017 - 8:52am.

moneymaker wrote:
I'm thankful that my dog likes popcorn, otherwise I would have to pick it up after I accidentally drop it on the floor. I'm thankful for being able to watch the miss universe contest on a 70" TV. they all seems so homogeneous looking, but love the accents.

strange u should mention that. i was actually at planet hollywood when some of these women came to check in a few,days,ago. they were actually fully decked out w sashes as they entered the hotel to go to the check in desk.

i saw some latin am. ones together. i think venezuela, peru, others.

they were so tall and healthy looking. i was like, who the hell are all those tall gorgeous creatures and why are they in a row? then i saw the sashes.

wow. in person they are impressive.

Submitted by pokepud3 on November 30, 2017 - 10:43am.

well you got your beliefs and I got mine. I can say your beliefs are false, and mine and right, and you can say the vice versa.. doesn't change anything. Cheers.

Submitted by zk on November 30, 2017 - 5:57pm.

pokepud3 wrote:
well you got your beliefs and I got mine. I can say your beliefs are false, and mine and right, and you can say the vice versa.. doesn't change anything. Cheers.

Well, it might not change anything, but if I'm using logic and reason and you're using... wait, what are you using again? Just saying what you believe? And thinking that carries weight even though it makes no sense?

You're living a lie. And, deep down inside, I think you know it. Cheers.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 30, 2017 - 6:40pm.

all beliefs are created equal.

Submitted by SK in CV on November 30, 2017 - 8:06pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
all beliefs are created equal.

Yeah, they all require and acknowledge the suspension of logic. Otherwise, they wouldn't be beliefs.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on December 1, 2017 - 12:43am.

everything is true

Submitted by FlyerInHi on March 1, 2018 - 11:03am.

Apparently those who find God are even more screwed up. God doesn’t love you.

Divorce, drugs, drinking: Billy Graham’s children and their absent father
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts...

Submitted by njtosd on March 3, 2018 - 5:40pm.

zk wrote:
pokepud3 wrote:
well you got your beliefs and I got mine. I can say your beliefs are false, and mine and right, and you can say the vice versa.. doesn't change anything. Cheers.

Well, it might not change anything, but if I'm using logic and reason and you're using... wait, what are you using again? Just saying what you believe? And thinking that carries weight even though it makes no sense?

You're living a lie. And, deep down inside, I think you know it. Cheers.

Just for the record, there are many very logical people in the world who believe that there is something more to life. For instance, Francis Collins, NIH director, director of the human genome project, current Christian and former atheist.

Submitted by njtosd on March 3, 2018 - 5:40pm.

zk wrote:
pokepud3 wrote:
well you got your beliefs and I got mine. I can say your beliefs are false, and mine and right, and you can say the vice versa.. doesn't change anything. Cheers.

Well, it might not change anything, but if I'm using logic and reason and you're using... wait, what are you using again? Just saying what you believe? And thinking that carries weight even though it makes no sense?

You're living a lie. And, deep down inside, I think you know it. Cheers.

Just for the record, there are many very logical people in the world who believe that there is something more to life. For instance, Francis Collins, NIH director, director of the human genome project, current Christian and former atheist.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on March 4, 2018 - 7:58am.

it is not irritating to deal with someone who believes in something supernatural.

It is irritating to deal with someone who believes the specific supernatural power they believe in is an actual umpire of morality here on our planet. A cosmic umpire calling balls and strikes here on earth. Earthlings who claim direct knowledge of the ump's calls, say for instance in deciding Presidential elections, or issues of morality, or whether the 10 commandments from their personal delusional system should be posted on courthouse walls. or who believes if specific prayers are said for him, he will get a better result than some poor but more worthy slob who has no team of praying people on his side, are just, well, stupid sounding to me.

that doesn't mean that any of this existence is "real".

I have a personal delusional system of the times which i am 80 percent sure is true. I do believe in supernatural powers. I am fairly confident that there is no physical reality to life here or anywhere in the universe.

I actually believe that we are not physically anywhere, that us and everything we see around is as a complex video game programmed by some superpowerful alien force (I call them the Gamers Of Doom, or G.O.D. for short). G.O.D. has no particular interest in how we behave in the game, but for them, this self running video game, in which time appears to unfold, in which they do not intercede, provides entertainment for G.O.D. to watch.

Earth, and our universe, is not the only program running, obviously,since any one program would get dull. there are infinite numbers of programs of universes running.

The G.O.D. needs to see things, because basically G.O.D. is the ultimate netflix bing watching couch creator and surfer, but it is absurd to think that we should 'worship" our G.O.D. programmer. G.O.D. not care about us in particular. we are just something that blips across G.O.D.'s infinite cosmic screens.

G.O.D. might possibly for a moment watch us go to Church and pray fervently , but with no more or less interest than watching a massacre in rwanda or an avian flu epidemic or a baseball game. in fact, there are so many universes to watch that he probably would miss our entire existence here on earth, given how short our entire show is.

any purpose we ascribe to G.O.D., other than the fact that we are part of a random program of evolution designed into an unreal system, is just part of the way we evolved to find meaning and patterns where there is none, and to control the other modules/people in our particular games.

there is no afterlife in the game, when your character dies, a scarcely perceptible chaarcter, that is it. you are of no more consequences than an ant. You never were real, even though you really felt like you were an actual creature with actual physicality and thoughts. all that was just part of the program. however, if G.O.D. chose to, he could revive yoru character to play again, or put it in a new module called "heaven", or Hell". but this seems unlikely. this module, "earth", is the only game we know, and the evidnece that the prmise of a new game in heaven is justa c reation of characters here in our game to control other characters, is, for me at least, overwhelming, although i concede i know and understand nothing as compared to the Mighty G.O.D. I bow down before their awesome programming skill.

indeed, there are so many games running silently, that the universe in which the earth is located might on be notice by G.O.D. for a nanosecond once every quadrillion million to the millionth degree years, which is to say, probably never during the existence of our universe. we are a program no one ever turned into, in all likelihood.

to think otherwise, that G.O.D. is personally involved in the goings on here, is a 'fan" of our particular show, is just crazy. there is no evidence that the G.O.D. cares about us, or that there is any kind of "justice" programmed into the game, other than our repeated assertions that G.O.D. cares.

For a character in a game to pray or appeal to the creator of its game is frankly, kind of funny. The evidence is overwhelming that we are alone here to our own devices on earth. I say this because no interested supernatural caring creator could stand by and allow suffering to innocents, in my opinion. No view of life, other than mine, the G.O.D. view, better explains the meaningless randomless uniustness of suffering here on "earth". I alone have summed it up.

I cannot prove any of this but it feels true to me.

I do believe in G.O.D. but only in the sense that i am so infinitely miniscule that i could not begin to comprehend the design meaning or purpose of any of his games.

No moral G.O.D. could inflict so much suffering on so many innocents for any other purpose other than sheer entertainment. and while It is silly to "worship" a G.O.D., who clearly cares not for our suffering, it is reasonable to admire their vast programming skills and workmanship.

the detail in our game, in our consciousness, in our existences such as they are, is just so incredible and "real" appearing. Frankly, this game is so much better than any of our games, so real seeming, that its own characters have consciousness, and are so complex, that our own games, and thoughts and rules are mere nothings, children playing with rocks and sticks. our primitive video games and belief systems are as nothing compared to the programming of g.O.D., who out of nothing, created just a wondersul, incredible fake world for no reaosn other than for kicks. bravo!

Obviously as well my version of "reality" is no more, or less proveable, than judaism, or christianity, but it definitely feels more real as an explanation of who and what we are, at least in explaining suffering on earth.

It's pretty clear that the video game we inhabit did not create itself but its also clear that it s creators are not peeople who "care" for their characters.

if you care to join my church of G.O.D., please feel free to admire the game, and if you feel compelled to express your admiration by sending me money to help spread the word about the truth of it all, that would be appreciated.

the cool thing about my explanation of the game is that it wont change at all anything you ever do. simply because youa re unreal, you will still behave in a reasonable manner, since you willw ant to succeed in the game as your character in your place nad your time. The unreality of it all wont affect your behavior in any negative way, as say, many religions will...it wont matter to you whether other people beleieve what you know to be the truth of our reality, since everyones just programmed to do what they're gonna do anyway. you still wont want these characters with false delusions getting in your personal business, since it makes your characters life less fun to be dominated by aggressive othr characters with crazy beliefs, as all religions seem to want to do at certain places and times int heir developments.

I am willing to go to any church whose first and final statement on our situation is, "woah, dude this is a mysterious game". anything beyond that, any "you should therefores,' are just frittering away game time.

perhaps the creation of a such a place of "worship" would please G.o.D. and they might tune in to our universe more often. or perhaps my revelation of the truth of the G.O.D. will displease them. but i believe they will never ever notice my character, any more than you will notice any specific ant deep within the ground in say, egypt, fervently doing his ant business on this beautiful sunday morning.

Submitted by outtamojo on March 4, 2018 - 11:21am.

Incredible post, destined to become a classic.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.