i stopped showering and refuse soap.

User Forum Topic
Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 14, 2019 - 11:29am

This is going to sound kind of crazy, but I have largely abandoned showers and baths, and I have not used any soap for about 6 months. I bought 50 washcloths and use these washcloths to vigorously scrub my crotch, butt and underarms. I also towel down my face and body with the damp unsoapy cloth. I stopped using deodorant as well. Here’s the weird thing; I smell better than I used to. It is just a bizarre phenomenon, but I am not alone in this. It might be that the vigorous scrubbing with cloths does a better job of cleaning than the actual showering I used to do, but I think stopping the use of deodorant and soap does something to the body that makes it less stinky. There are people on the internet doing this, and some but not all report a similar experience. I really like this because it saves time, water and cleaning a shower. I did recently rejoin a gym and have been going in the shower to rinse off after particularly sweaty sauna sessions, but no soap ever. I would never have thought this was a possibility for me, as I have been brainwashed like most of us to believe that ashower and soap are nonnegotiable aspects of living and working ina civilized society. It is simply not true. Really scrubbing your ass and armpits with a few damp washcloths does a lot more to make you smell neutral than standing in hot water. This lifestyle does require the purchase of many washcloths though, as it is not unusual for me to go through 4 or 5 in a day. Much to the chagrin of my wife, who thought I was just being cheap, I bought the lowest priced washcloths from amazon, like 50 cents each?. But I also bought some expensive ones from macy’s thatw ere luxuriously smooth, I think in the neighborhood of 10$ each.. Turns out only the cheapest ones are useful for me. I need the rough abrasive quality of cloth to exfoliate and scrub and get the cleaning effect I am looking for. The smooth ones simply do not work for me. It’s nice to discover that one can live on much much less. I really don’t even think I need indoor plumbing anymore. Although I am not taking cold showers, I also use cold water on my damp washcloths, for a brisk rubdown even in the cold. Not quite as startling as a cold shower, but still, something. I briefly considered getting a towel warmer, of the type used by nail salons to heat up towels for their clientele. But I decided against it because the coolness of the cloth really isn’t all that bad. I would prefer a warm towel, but im ok with a cool one. i do however use soap on my hands after pooping. I would say everyone should attempt this experiment once in their life. As Thoreau said, “Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.” Or perhaps we should edit his quote as follows:

“I went to the [bathroom] because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

Submitted by teaboy on February 14, 2019 - 12:33pm.

Do I understand you toss the washcloths after each use? Shame on you.

We use Norwex "water only" washcloths.
https://www.amazon.com/Norwex-Antibacter...

tb

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 14, 2019 - 12:39pm.

no no no. i wash them. but let them pile up. i miggt use one for face and arms one for feet one for ass. etc.

it is extravagant but not to the point of tossing them.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 14, 2019 - 1:02pm.

Sounds like you’re doing what people used to do before they had bathrooms.
If I understand, you don’t shower at home anymore.

What’s wrong with rinsing under the shower? You don’t need soap if you don’t want it.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 14, 2019 - 1:05pm.

teaboy wrote:
Do I understand you toss the washcloths after each use? Shame on you.

We use Norwex "water only" washcloths.
https://www.amazon.com/Norwex-Antibacter...

tb

Looks exactly like the microfiber cloth you can buy at Costco in the automotive section. I use them for cleaning everything.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 15, 2019 - 10:02pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
Sounds like you’re doing what people used to do before they had bathrooms.
If I understand, you don’t shower at home anymore.

What’s wrong with rinsing under the shower? You don’t need soap if you don’t want it.

i avoid the shower on principle. i dont want to clean the shower plus it annoys my wife to see me scrubbing nyself with towels.

i have some sort of psychological defect from way back involving a need to irritate women.

Submitted by zk on February 16, 2019 - 11:12am.

Not being snarky; serious question:

How do you know you smell better (or good or okay)?

Girl I heard talking once: "Guys who don't shower for a day and then put on cologne think that covers it up and that they don't smell. It's disgusting.

Dude I knew about skipping showers: "I just put on cologne. No girl has ever complained."

Me to him: "Yeah, but you're not exactly Casanova over here. Maybe that's got something to do with it. Maybe they don't complain, they just don't stick with you."

I also worked with a guy who would sometimes come in for days in a row just stinking of old sweat. Everybody hated it, but nobody said anything. I said to his best friend, "hey, you'd be doing him - and us - a favor by telling him." No dice. He wouldn't do it. His best friend!

Point being, you can't really smell yourself, and most people aren't going to tell you that you stink.

I'm not saying you stink. I'm just asking if you're sure that you don't.

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 16, 2019 - 11:58am.

(not showering)
Not something I would try , But I am fairly sure my wife would let me know right away if I smelled LOL.

But I know some old people who "must" get by with a wet towel bath so I guess it can work.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 16, 2019 - 12:25pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
FlyerInHi wrote:
Sounds like you’re doing what people used to do before they had bathrooms.
If I understand, you don’t shower at home anymore.

What’s wrong with rinsing under the shower? You don’t need soap if you don’t want it.

i avoid the shower on principle. i dont want to clean the shower plus it annoys my wife to see me scrubbing nyself with towels.

i have some sort of psychological defect from way back involving a need to irritate women.

But the towel bath is make work for you. Plus you have to wash the piles of towels. Just easier to rinse.

It’s really hot in Temecula in the summer. Get a big water trough and make a coconut ladle. You can shower that way on the terrace. The sun will warm the water for a comfortable shower. But sure to cover the water container to avoid mosquitos. That’s how the country folks do it in Thailand. Actually they use plastic scoops, not coconut anymore. Shower at the foot of your favorite tree and water the tree at the same time.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 17, 2019 - 12:46am.

zk wrote:
Not being snarky; serious question:

How do you know you smell better (or good or okay)?

Girl I heard talking once: "Guys who don't shower for a day and then put on cologne think that covers it up and that they don't smell. It's disgusting.

Dude I knew about skipping showers: "I just put on cologne. No girl has ever complained."

Me to him: "Yeah, but you're not exactly Casanova over here. Maybe that's got something to do with it. Maybe they don't complain, they just don't stick with you."

I also worked with a guy who would sometimes come in for days in a row just stinking of old sweat. Everybody hated it, but nobody said anything. I said to his best friend, "hey, you'd be doing him - and us - a favor by telling him." No dice. He wouldn't do it. His best friend!

Point being, you can't really smell yourself, and most people aren't going to tell you that you stink.

I'm not saying you stink. I'm just asking if you're sure that you don't.

my wife is very direct.
i cant smell anything.
she smells everything.
she said i smell better.
of course that doesnt mean i smell good....but...better than before...

Submitted by zk on February 17, 2019 - 8:36am.

scaredyclassic wrote:

my wife is very direct.
i cant smell anything.
she smells everything.
she said i smell better.
of course that doesnt mean i smell good....but...better than before...

Excellent.

Your take on the unquestioning acceptance of some of the routines we use is interesting.

Submitted by NeetaT on February 19, 2019 - 7:47pm.

I go to the swimming pool twice a day to use the showers. I take very long showers there so that the HOA gets hit for the water bill and not me at my residence.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 19, 2019 - 7:50pm.

long showers harm your skin biome. youre only harming yourself.

Submitted by moneymaker on February 20, 2019 - 11:20am.

Being clean is sexy in a weird way. This goes for guys and gals. Remember in high school riding home on the bus there was this one girl who must have had gym class last and even though she wasn't by normal standards beautiful, her wet hair and clean look was a real turn on for me, can remember it like it was yesterday. Guess I better go take a shower!

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 20, 2019 - 1:23pm.

soap is not sexy. soap dries and destroys.

old people become dry flaky and gross.

oily is sexy.

soap is death

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 20, 2019 - 5:21pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
long showers harm your skin biome. youre only harming yourself.

I agree.
But what about a shower like being outside in the tropical rain?

Submitted by svelte on February 20, 2019 - 6:44pm.

Yeah.

I had a hippy chick gf once. Very beautiful, very fun. But she never showered. We didn't last long. I've got my limits.

Not saying you have an odor issue, but she sure did.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 20, 2019 - 7:29pm.

BO has to with clothing also. I think it's very important to wash clothes everyday.

I find Europeans stinky because they don't wash clothes frequently. winter jackets stink, especially after a night out at the restaurant. That's why I don't wear jackets that cannot be washed.

But soap is not good for the skin. Water is good enough most of the time. Use soap sparingly.

Lose weight if necessary. Body fat creates BO.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 21, 2019 - 10:12am.

svelte wrote:
Yeah.

I had a hippy chick gf once. Very beautiful, very fun. But she never showered. We didn't last long. I've got my limits.

Not saying you have an odor issue, but she sure did.

Im not saying don’t clean. Im saying no showers or soap. If you think about it, there’s nothing magical about a shower. Really rubbing yourself with a wet clean cloth is going to get a lot of gunk off. Your ass is going to be just as clean rubbing it with wet towels as letting it get scalded with hot water ina shower, probably cleaner. Soap is nothing but perfume, dirt is easily removed with damp towels.
I want to know what this hippy chicks cleaning routine was? I doubt very much she rubbed her crotch vigorously with clean towels.

Sniff your arm. Your leg. Does that smell? No. it’s your ass your crotch and your pits that stink. Try an experiment of scrubbing these three areas in the morning and evening with just water and towel and see what happens for one day. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

If only we could go back in time and towel down that hippy chick. Who knows where youd be today. Perhaps on a commune, milking goats, with sweet smelling hippie grandkids…
The other thing to consider and now this is going to get a little gross, is that everyone should have a roll of paper towels and a cup for water to wet scrub their ass with disposable towels. It’s a grim reality that we are overshowered yet our asses are undercleaned. We laugh at the euro bidet, but in reality, we have only the thin veneer of the appearance of soapy perfumed cleanliness. W e are no better than those medieval people who bathed once a year and sprinkled scent on themselves. They had no access to a supple of clean towels made in china off amazon, and im sure cloth in general sold at a premium.

We live in a golden age of cheap washcloths!

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 21, 2019 - 2:57pm.

You’re so wise scaredy. Soap actually has degreaser as well as oil in addition to perfume. Seems odd or remove natural oils and add back artificial.

The light bulb went on with me years ago. I used to wash my face with soap and that would dry my skin. Now I just wash with water and my skin is just healthy, bright and beautiful.

I still think it’s easier to quick rinse a couple times a day like you would if you lived in a tropical country. Cold water works too if you like. Cloth scrubbing is a lot of work and it’s abrasive. Why do you need all the abrasion?

Excellent point about washing ass, pussy, crotch. My mom taught me well. So many people just don’t wash down there.

Submitted by zk on February 21, 2019 - 4:30pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
It’s a grim reality that we are overshowered yet our asses are undercleaned. We laugh at the euro bidet,

I got one of these years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-12...

I'm not really even sure how those euro separate-basin bidets work.

I've always been quite particular about being clean there. And having this type of bidet makes getting as clean as possible back there less of a hassle.

I'm sure your method works, scaredy, but I'll take the bidet and the frequent soapy shower.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 21, 2019 - 7:01pm.

this is all very new to me. 6 months. i am guilty of decades of underwashing my butthole

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 21, 2019 - 8:43pm.

FlyerInHi wrote:
You’re so wise scaredy. Soap actually has degreaser as well as oil in addition to perfume. Seems odd or remove natural oils and add back artificial.

The light bulb went on with me years ago. I used to wash my face with soap and that would dry my skin. Now I just wash with water and my skin is just healthy, bright and beautiful.

I still think it’s easier to quick rinse a couple times a day like you would if you lived in a tropical country. Cold water works too if you like. Cloth scrubbing is a lot of work and it’s abrasive. Why do you need all the abrasion?

Excellent point about washing ass, pussy, crotch. My mom taught me well. So many people just don’t wash down there.

i think abrasion is good. like a'loofah. remove dead skin

Submitted by gzz on February 22, 2019 - 12:56pm.

My back, neck and shoulders get oily and need a soapy scrub every other day at minimum.

Getting all the excess oil off with a washcloth sound like more of a hassle than a shower.

Last weekend I was in well-clorinated resort hot tub for 2 hours and my skin was great afterward.

Submitted by svelte on February 22, 2019 - 11:13pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:

If only we could go back in time and towel down that hippy chick. Who knows where youd be today. Perhaps on a commune, milking goats, with sweet smelling hippie grandkids…

ha, ha!

I just watched this tonight....gotta post it.

You'll see why I posted it about a minute in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqy3-2ztb0

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 23, 2019 - 8:49am.

funny!!!

I Ccan relate.

i just finished reading A PHILOSOPHY OF DISCOMFORT by jacques pezeu- masabuau. i only understood about 1/5 of it but hes got some good similar but way less funny pokes at environmentalists.

i am ridiculous. i see thst.

i think the takeaway from the boom was that our particular discomforts are our culture. the takeaway from the comedy clip was similar

welp headin off to yoga class.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on February 23, 2019 - 12:55pm.

svelte wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:

If only we could go back in time and towel down that hippy chick. Who knows where youd be today. Perhaps on a commune, milking goats, with sweet smelling hippie grandkids…

ha, ha!

I just watched this tonight....gotta post it.

You'll see why I posted it about a minute in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqy3-2ztb0

Haha. The smell of Irish Spring is just too much.
Buy artisanal olive oil soap from Aleppo, Syria to offset a little the effects of war. The factory was bombed and moved to France, but they are now back in Syria.
https://youtu.be/RhledfZqvew

I know a Jewish guy from Israel who lives in Vegas. He collects the olives from the trees at the HOA and makes pickles and tapenade and other stuff. And I wanted to cut down the trees.

Submitted by poorgradstudent on February 28, 2019 - 4:56pm.

My wife thinks I'm crazy that I don't use soap on my body when I shower. But in general warm water does a pretty good job rinsing anything.

I imagine you will start showering a lot more when Summer rolls back around.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.