Hamilton and Capitalism

User Forum Topic
Submitted by FlyerInHi on April 20, 2016 - 10:17am

So Hamiliton will remain on the $10 bill. Happy about that.
I learned so much about Hamilton in the last couple years.
He's now my favorite founding father. Who is yours?

http://wapo.st/1XIRyS7

Submitted by enron_by_the_sea on April 20, 2016 - 10:53am.

Hamilton had one vision for America. Jefferson/Jackson had another. (At least as far as role of finance in society )

Many hundred years later America kept Hamilton on its bill and voted Jackson out from another bill!

Fascinating!

Submitted by svelte on April 20, 2016 - 4:47pm.

Interestingly, tickets to the play "Hamilton" are $500-1000 each on Broadway right now.

Submitted by flyer on April 20, 2016 - 5:16pm.

My wife is a theatre aficionado, so we hit Broadway every year. Managed to see "Hamilton" before things got crazy. Definitely a must see.

Over the years, many Broadway-bound projects have premiered at the Old Globe or LJ Playhouse which is another great option.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on April 20, 2016 - 6:14pm.

Jefferson has a memorial. Hamilton should be on our money, because without commerce and money, we'd be nothing.

I watched the documentary in Hamilton. Very good. He had a hot temperament.

Submitted by svelte on April 21, 2016 - 6:33am.

flyer wrote:
My wife is a theatre aficionado, so we hit Broadway every year. Managed to see "Hamilton" before things got crazy. Definitely a must see.

Over the years, many Broadway-bound projects have premiered at the Old Globe or LJ Playhouse which is another great option.

We're getting ready to do Broadway shortly - that's why I was checking prices. Decided we could wait on Hamilton for awhile and chose tix to a different play. lol.

Plenty of time ahead of us to see H at a future date.

If you see of something promising here in SD flyer, drop me a note. We don't do theatre often (certainly no expert by any means), but do enjoy it from time to time.

And I seem to have typo'ed in my original post...I found Hamilton tix were $500 - 2000 per seat. Probably $500 if you want to sit behind a pole. :-)

Submitted by FlyerInHi on April 21, 2016 - 10:28am.

I agree, wait and see Hamilton later.
Seems like Broadway is all about momentum. High demand for the popular shows. There are good concerts to catch at Carnegie Hall for cheap. Nice evening out in NYC.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on April 21, 2016 - 10:54am.

Hamilton maybe a bad example to follow. He left his family pennyless.
So many people are brilliant and screwed up at the same time.

OMG, George Washington was a philanderer too!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/the-found...

Submitted by bearishgurl on April 21, 2016 - 11:44am.

FlyerInHi wrote:
. . . OMG, George Washington was a philanderer too!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/the-found...

Ha ha, just saw this thread and I think the above link is great and very well written!

It could have described almost to a "T" movers and shakers of "gubment(s)" much, much closer to home but I'll just leave it at that, lol ....

Thanks for sharing brian!

Submitted by flyer on April 22, 2016 - 3:12pm.

svelte wrote:
flyer wrote:
My wife is a theatre aficionado, so we hit Broadway every year. Managed to see "Hamilton" before things got crazy. Definitely a must see.

Over the years, many Broadway-bound projects have premiered at the Old Globe or LJ Playhouse which is another great option.

We're getting ready to do Broadway shortly - that's why I was checking prices. Decided we could wait on Hamilton for awhile and chose tix to a different play. lol.

Plenty of time ahead of us to see H at a future date.

If you see of something promising here in SD flyer, drop me a note. We don't do theatre often (certainly no expert by any means), but do enjoy it from time to time.

And I seem to have typo'ed in my original post...I found Hamilton tix were $500 - 2000 per seat. Probably $500 if you want to sit behind a pole. :-)

Be sure to join the mailing lists for the La Jolla Playhouse and the Old Globe. That way, you and your wife will receive info regarding each season and can choose what sounds interesting to you. You might want to check this out, and also place yourself on this mailing list:
http://www.broadwaysd.com/

My wife keeps track of all things artsy from coast to coast, so we don't miss anything, and often receives comps because of her connections in film.
Agree waiting for ticket sales to settle down on Hamilton is the best plan. With a show this popular, the touring company will most likely be in San Diego sometime in the near future.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on June 21, 2016 - 2:06pm.

svelte wrote:

And I seem to have typo'ed in my original post...I found Hamilton tix were $500 - 2000 per seat. Probably $500 if you want to sit behind a pole. :-)

Wow, Lin-Manuel Miranda is commanding $10,000 per ticket now that he's leaving the show.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.