Goodbye to San Diego

User Forum Topic
Submitted by EconProf on February 22, 2021 - 2:26am

After 45 years in San Diego as teacher, real estate investor, and contractor we are leaving. Apparently, so are a lot of other people. The cost of living, and especially the housing cost difference is one of the many reasons, and here are the specifics:
1. Our brand new custom-designed house will cost about 1/3 the price we are getting for our current house and be 10% larger, all on one level.
2. Our HOA will fall from $495/month to about $100. For that HOA we will be a two-block walk from a clubhouse with an exercise room, two pools (one summer, one winter), tennis courts, pickleball courts, etc., etc.
3. Our property taxes will fall from $16,500 per year to about $3000.
4. Monthly utility costs will be vastly lower.

Piggs are invited to guess our destination.

Submitted by an on July 8, 2021 - 11:03am.

Coronita wrote:

Low wage workers leaving. High net worth coming in...

B10....

BINGO!


I think it's more of low & mid wage workers leaving. High net worth and homeless coming in.

Submitted by svelte on July 9, 2021 - 1:08pm.

svelte wrote:
EconProf wrote:

The population is exploding as new residents come in from everywhere, especially CA. Because St. George schools are largely open, teachers tell of CA parents desperate to get their kids into in-person learning, so some are living in St. George motels in order to do so.

This just in.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new...

"The exodus of Californians forecast in recent news headlines isn’t likely to happen soon, UC San Diego researchers reported in a survey released Wednesday."

"Another facet of the study, conducted by Stanford and Cornell Universities, analyzed two decades of Franchise Tax Board Data and found no evidence that millionaires are fleeing the state, despite increased taxes on high-wage earners.

A separate analysis from Cornell University gave a different spin to the parable of the Golden State. It showed that California’s share of U.S. venture capital dollars rose from one-third of the national total in 1995 to nearly half by 2021, far eclipsing other large states, including New York, Florida and Texas."

Record amount given to California schools this year, and full statewide funding for TK - TK is amazing, I've watched a family member go through it and he really was better prepared for school.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-gov...

Utah ranks 51st in school funding level, dead last. It spends half - half! - the national average per pupil.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/20...

And to sit here and brag about Utah schools is astounding. Just astounding.

Submitted by gzz on July 9, 2021 - 1:28pm.

Didn't the previous admin intentionally try to undercount the people in this state by excluding undocumented people?

Trump's plan was to exclude unlawful residents from reapportionment of congressional districts, and give states the option to exclude them from redistricting. It was not to have the census not count them at all.

The effect of the former would be to give rust belt states about 9 more House seats and electoral votes at the expense of CA/TX/NY/FL/NJ. The effect of the latter would be to have more state legislative seats in white and black neighborhoods and fewer in hispanic and asian areas. The states that would have both implemented it, and where it would have had a major effect, is mostly TX and GA.

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 12, 2021 - 12:32am.

117 degrees in St George today

Submitted by deadzone on July 12, 2021 - 8:41am.

gzz wrote:

Didn't the previous admin intentionally try to undercount the people in this state by excluding undocumented people?

Trump's plan was to exclude unlawful residents from reapportionment of congressional districts, and give states the option to exclude them from redistricting. It was not to have the census not count them at all.

The effect of the former would be to give rust belt states about 9 more House seats and electoral votes at the expense of CA/TX/NY/FL/NJ. The effect of the latter would be to have more state legislative seats in white and black neighborhoods and fewer in hispanic and asian areas. The states that would have both implemented it, and where it would have had a major effect, is mostly TX and GA.

Why would undocumented people be considered for Congressional districting? They can't vote so they are not represented by definition.

Submitted by gzz on July 12, 2021 - 11:14am.

Why would undocumented people be considered for Congressional districting? They can't vote so they are not represented by definition.

The Constitution says it should be based on the census, excluding only "Indians not taxed."

Children, disenfranchised felons, and lawful resident aliens have always been included in apportionment and redistricting and cannot vote. Trump did not want to exclude any of these groups, only unlawful aliens.

Another wrinkle with his plan is the line between illegal and legal can be blurred. For example, successful DREAMERS did not break the law when they entered as minors, and have specific authorization to both work and remain in the USA by the federal government. They cannot be deported unless they commit a crime and can work here legally, so they are in the same position as a lawful permanent resident, except that they cannot leave the USA and then return. This legal status is pretty close to what a huge number of unnaturalized immigrants were in in the 1790s, and such people were included in censuses and apportionments.

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 12, 2021 - 12:36pm.

Are Bingo Halls air conditioned? Asking for a friend

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 15, 2021 - 1:10pm.

So here is some data for EP.

My hometown of Cherry Hill NJ has a median HH income of $105K. It has demographics similar to Carlsbad, top rated schools and healthcare. Its an easy one hour drive to lovely Jersey Shore towns. Its an easy 15 minute drive to Philadephia with great jobs, multiple teaching hospitals some of which rank among the best in the country and Ivy League schools nearby. They have professional sports and world class musuems and theatre in Philly. School funding is among the highest in the country. The median home price is $336K.

The median HH income in St George is under $50K. It has none of that. School funding is among the lowest in the country. The only university was recentlya two year associate degree college. No theatre, no international airport, no teaching hospitals, no major industries, no pro sports, no beaches, no culture or diversity. The median home price is $430K.

And you dont think you just bought into one big time bubble that will come crashing down as soon as the economy turns? You have bought into Hemet circa 2005.

Submitted by deadzone on July 15, 2021 - 2:59pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
So here is some data for EP.

My hometown of Cherry Hill NJ has a median HH income of $105K. It has demographics similar to Carlsbad, top rated schools and healthcare. Its an easy one hour drive to lovely Jersey Shore towns. Its an easy 15 minute drive to Philadephia with great jobs, multiple teaching hospitals some of which rank among the best in the country and Ivy League schools nearby. They have professional sports and world class musuems and theatre in Philly. School funding is among the highest in the country. The median home price is $336K.

The median HH income in St George is under $50K. It has none of that. School funding is among the lowest in the country. The only university was recentlya two year associate degree college. No theatre, no international airport, no teaching hospitals, no major industries, no pro sports, no beaches, no culture or diversity. The median home price is $430K.

And you dont think you just bought into one big time bubble that will come crashing down as soon as the economy turns? You have bought into Hemet circa 2005.

You make some good points sdr but come on, lay off the guy. He is going there to retire and live out his golden years among like minded people. Don't think he cares if the RE bubble bursts in St George. If it bursts there it will be due to the everything bubble bursting anyway (obviously it will crush St George far worse than SD or other areas granted).

Submitted by The-Shoveler on July 15, 2021 - 3:14pm.

IMO the FED and the powers that be cannot afford to let the everything bubble crash and will do whatever it takes to not let it crash.

Can it be done? not sure but look at China, what's it been 35 years or more LOL.

But maybe I am wrong.

Submitted by deadzone on July 15, 2021 - 3:19pm.

The-Shoveler wrote:
IMO the FED and the powers that be cannot afford to let the everything bubble crash and will do whatever it takes to not let it crash.

Can it be done? not sure but look at China, what's it been 35 years or more LOL.

But maybe I am wrong.

You mean Japan, but yes you are correct. The Fed has proven time and time again, by their actions, that they will do all in their power to keep it going.

On Wall St. this is such a joke that the primary case for bull market for the last several years was simply "Don't fight the Fed", nothing do to with economics or earnings.

The mystery is how long can they keep this up, and what happens when they lose control?? Nobody really knows.

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 15, 2021 - 4:28pm.

deadzone wrote:
sdrealtor wrote:
So here is some data for EP.

My hometown of Cherry Hill NJ has a median HH income of $105K. It has demographics similar to Carlsbad, top rated schools and healthcare. Its an easy one hour drive to lovely Jersey Shore towns. Its an easy 15 minute drive to Philadephia with great jobs, multiple teaching hospitals some of which rank among the best in the country and Ivy League schools nearby. They have professional sports and world class musuems and theatre in Philly. School funding is among the highest in the country. The median home price is $336K.

The median HH income in St George is under $50K. It has none of that. School funding is among the lowest in the country. The only university was recentlya two year associate degree college. No theatre, no international airport, no teaching hospitals, no major industries, no pro sports, no beaches, no culture or diversity. The median home price is $430K.

And you dont think you just bought into one big time bubble that will come crashing down as soon as the economy turns? You have bought into Hemet circa 2005.

You make some good points sdr but come on, lay off the guy. He is going there to retire and live out his golden years among like minded people. Don't think he cares if the RE bubble bursts in St George. If it bursts there it will be due to the everything bubble bursting anyway (obviously it will crush St George far worse than SD or other areas granted).

Exactly and I'll lay off him when he drops the political nonsense. There is no safety net under St George. It is poised to drop big time no matter what happens here. We have some fundamental things going in our favor. He's got a handful of disgruntled Republicans he's banking on who will flee at the first sign of trouble

Another anecdote. $2m plus home closed up here recently. Couple of young IG influencers. One has a wealthy father in Texas who picked up the tab.

Submitted by EconProf on July 15, 2021 - 5:05pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
So here is some data for EP.

My hometown of Cherry Hill NJ has a median HH income of $105K. It has demographics similar to Carlsbad, top rated schools and healthcare. Its an easy one hour drive to lovely Jersey Shore towns. Its an easy 15 minute drive to Philadephia with great jobs, multiple teaching hospitals some of which rank among the best in the country and Ivy League schools nearby. They have professional sports and world class musuems and theatre in Philly. School funding is among the highest in the country. The median home price is $336K.

The median HH income in St George is under $50K. It has none of that. School funding is among the lowest in the country. The only university was recentlya two year associate degree college. No theatre, no international airport, no teaching hospitals, no major industries, no pro sports, no beaches, no culture or diversity. The median home price is $430K.

And you dont think you just bought into one big time bubble that will come crashing down as soon as the economy turns? You have bought into Hemet circa 2005.

sdr: for starters, New Jersey is losing population. Why would that be? And if you think Philly is good for culture, the arts, and theatre, check out their crime rate before going downtown.
St. George/Washington City is exploding with growth because of its culture, broadly defined. Theatre, museums, concerts, a rapidly expanding 4-year university, lauded health care, year-around outdoor activities such as hiking, biking trails, parks (minus the homeless in tents), and numerous gyms. The people are young, healthy, and fully employed--unemployment rate 2.9%. Because the cost of living is so low, average income means little. True, the average household income is slightly under the US average. But adjusted for COL is what counts. For example, my total utilities for last month were $181.10--gas and electric, water and sewer. That's with our hotter weather and the AC on constantly in a 2500 SF house. My friend in Scripps Ranch recently told me his total was over $1,000.
Educational quality has little to do with spending. In NYC the per pupil spending is over $20,000 per year, and their educational attainment is dreadful. CA is notorious for high government spending in most every category and abysmal results. San Diego is the best of the big cities, but it is still in CA.

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 15, 2021 - 9:27pm.

NJ has been losing population for decades because people move to warmer climates as they age

But you completely avoided the elephant in the room. The median home price in St George is almost $500k!!! The median household income is under $50k!!! You moved to Hemet!!

Oh and my total utilities last month here in Carlsbad in my 2700 sq ft house on 11,000 sq ft lot? Under $90! I do have solar but after 6 years it's paid for itself.

Living with AC on 24/7 by necessity? Sounds dreamy!

I checked out the concert scene there. Laughable. Better shows at the little Belly Up tavern in Solana Beach.

I checked out theatre. Basically community theatre at best

Museums? Basically Indian artifacts

Fully employed? At WalMart and fast food joints

Low cost of living? There is nothing to do there to spend money on except overpriced housing that is heading for a major crash

Great schools? Here is the top rated high school. The others are much worse

https://www.greatschools.org/utah/saint-...

Rapidly expanding 4 year university? It will never be a true research based university of any acclaim. It will train the basic workers you need for schools and healthcare caregivers not physicians but it will never approach the scale of a UC or even CSU school.

Enough with the nebulous claims. You said I only brought snark but I keep bringing up specific examples and you bring empty claims. Bring some actual specific examples for once.

B7.... Bingo!!

Submitted by deadzone on July 15, 2021 - 9:52pm.

I have to admin St George doesn't sound super exciting. Given that type of summertime heat, I would rather live in Tucson area for retirement. Tons of great golf courses, Pac12 University and decent amount of culture and entertainment, good hospitals and large airport right there.

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 15, 2021 - 10:25pm.

90% white and 70% Mormon. That spells a near complete void of culture. I'd take Tucson over it in a N.Y. Minute

Submitted by Coronita on July 15, 2021 - 10:36pm.

I haven't turned on my AC yet for the summer. Actually come to think about it, haven't used it for 2021 yet.

For my previous primary, it was one of those run down 5/3 stucco boxes in the slum part of 92130 that didn't even come with AC. I never used AC since I moved into that slum area from 2004 to when I moved out in 2019. When my latest tenant moved in, they asked if I could install AC, and being a good landlord I did. I spent $7500 to install a brand new furnace and AC unit, figuring it's about 1.5 months of rent, and a tax writeoff, and would elevate my slum house to something closer to modern day standards.... My tenant hasn't turned it on yet... I guess there's an advantage of being close enough to the ocean to get a nice ocean breeze....

Submitted by scaredyclassic on July 15, 2021 - 10:41pm.

In Temecula, if you just lie still on the cool tile floor, you are ok. Just don't get up

Submitted by Coronita on July 15, 2021 - 10:44pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
In Temecula, if you just lie still on the cool tile floor, you are ok. Just don't get up

You have tile???? Damn Scardey that's a luxury. My slum house in 92130 doesn't even have tile. It has that plvinyl that marketing now calls "luxury linoleum"....Some of us can't even afford the finer things in life like tile, except when sparingly used in the smaller bathrooms. That and those pesky lizards and too many damn walls in far flung drug infested 92130...as BG use to call it...

Submitted by Coronita on July 15, 2021 - 10:52pm.

For my retirement, I'd probably like to stay here part time and part time in the bay area. Hopefully by the time my kid goes off to college in 3 years(I hope), I can finally become a tech exec and finally be able to do what I've always wanted to do: get back to my Bay Area tech roots where it all started. Good grief, I'll be half a century old by then and should be getting my AARP card also...I won't be able to step into Tipsy Crow anymore half drunk and still like it was 2 years ago before the pandemic . Biggest complement was when the bouncer was like damn you asians don't look anywhere near your age... It goes downhill soon though...Stick a fork in me.

I already found a BINGO club at the senior center in Sunnyvale, CA.

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 15, 2021 - 10:53pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
In Temecula, if you just lie still on the cool tile floor, you are ok. Just don't get up

If I lie down on the tile I may not be able to get up

Submitted by sdrealtor on July 15, 2021 - 11:23pm.

On the topic of culture this will surprise most if not all of you about SD being an up and coming cultural center in the world!

More Broadway plays start their productions in San Diego before getting taken to Broadway than any city in the world. Any... City.. In.. The... World!

UCSD was recently named as one of the top 5 theatre schools in the World. Big things are happening here

Submitted by Coronita on July 16, 2021 - 2:49am.

We are definitely seeing some growth here. Can't wait to see the lightrail build out. Pretty cool the lightrail will go as far as UTC/Genesse medical center area now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmk6W27r92w

https://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/Mid-c...

Submitted by Coronita on July 16, 2021 - 7:12am.

sdrealtor wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
In Temecula, if you just lie still on the cool tile floor, you are ok. Just don't get up

If I lie down on the tile I may not be able to get up

You are so in luck... You see, last night I tried exactly what Scardey was saying, and laid down on my walk in closet that has tile (yeah, I'm moving up in the world..whooohoo)...And he's right. If it's probably 5 degrees cooler lying on the tile.

But that's not all. While I was staring at the ceiling, I noticed a large box I had not unpacked from my old place....So I got up and unpacked it...And oh my god, what a treasure I found inside the box that i totally forgot I had since I was a kid...

bingo!bingo!

It's BINGO ... with a STEEL CAGE!!!!! as it says on the box!!!! Whooohooo. None of this made in china plastic shit you find these days... This hand crafted BINGO playset has withstood the test of time. I think it was from the late 1970s, maybe early 1980's from Golden Circle (see the old price sticker still on it). Golden Circle was the dept store that was renamed to "Target"...

Checkout the cool bingo boards. Even if you can't get off your back from the tile...you can still play BINGO with these boards. These are high tech chip-less BINGO boards that were invented probably from the early 80ies!!!!

Hey you, me and AN.... we can now play BINGO...No need to go all the way to St George for a killer bingo game. We can do this right out side my backyard, without AC of course, if you don't mind the lizards, too many walls, in far flung lizard infested (new) 92130 house.

The bingo boards are a little funky. They use old car makers name, some of thee youngester millenials never heard of...

So for example, you'll have say B(uick) - Pontiac..

BINGO!!!

Submitted by Coronita on July 16, 2021 - 7:14am.

Come to think about it. Maybe some old fart on ebay will pay a fortune for this...hmmmm. let me check...
This was made by "Pressman Toy" in New York, NY.

Submitted by Coronita on July 16, 2021 - 7:15am.

Wait here we go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224516612826?ha...

2 for $12.50 Car-Bingo

Submitted by scaredyclassic on July 16, 2021 - 7:22am.

Coronita wrote:
sdrealtor wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
In Temecula, if you just lie still on the cool tile floor, you are ok. Just don't get up

If I lie down on the tile I may not be able to get up

You are so in luck... You see, last night I tried exactly what Scardey was saying, and laid down on my walk in closet that has tile (yeah, I'm moving up in the world..whooohoo)...And he's right. If it's probably 5 degrees cooler lying on the tile.

But that's not all. While I was staring at the ceiling, I noticed a large box I had not unpacked from my old place....So I got up and unpacked it...And oh my god, what a treasure I found inside the box that i totally forgot I had since I was a kid...

bingo!bingo!

It's BINGO ... with a STEEL CAGE!!!!! as it says on the box!!!! Whooohooo. None of this made in china plastic shit you find these days... This hand crafted BINGO playset has withstood the test of time. I think it was from the late 1970s, maybe early 1980's from Golden Circle (see the old price sticker still on it). Golden Circle was the dept store that was renamed to "Target"...

Checkout the cool bingo boards. Even if you can't get off your back from the tile...you can still play BINGO with these boards. These are high tech chip-less BINGO boards that were invented probably from the early 80ies!!!!

Hey you, me and AN.... we can now play BINGO...No need to go all the way to St George for a killer bingo game. We can do this right out side my backyard, without AC of course, if you don't mind the lizards, too many walls, in far flung lizard infested (new) 92130 house.

The bingo boards are a little funky. They use old car makers name, some of thee youngester millenials never heard of...

So for example, you'll have say B(uick) - Pontiac..

BINGO!!!

So often the correct choice is to be still and do nothing.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on July 16, 2021 - 7:34am.

sdrealtor wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
In Temecula, if you just lie still on the cool tile floor, you are ok. Just don't get up

If I lie down on the tile I may not be able to get up

When I tell my hot wife to just lie on the floor with me and skip the a/c she is generally unamused.

Submitted by svelte on July 16, 2021 - 4:55pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
117 degrees in St George today

Might as well live in Vegas! At least there is something to do there!

Submitted by The-Shoveler on July 17, 2021 - 9:50am.

scaredyclassic wrote:

When I tell my hot wife to just lie on the floor with me and skip the a/c she is generally unamused.

Yea My wife's hot too !!

Oh wait we're talking about AC

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.