Goodbye to San Diego

User Forum Topic
Submitted by EconProf on February 22, 2021 - 2:26am

After 45 years in San Diego as teacher, real estate investor, and contractor we are leaving. Apparently, so are a lot of other people. The cost of living, and especially the housing cost difference is one of the many reasons, and here are the specifics:
1. Our brand new custom-designed house will cost about 1/3 the price we are getting for our current house and be 10% larger, all on one level.
2. Our HOA will fall from $495/month to about $100. For that HOA we will be a two-block walk from a clubhouse with an exercise room, two pools (one summer, one winter), tennis courts, pickleball courts, etc., etc.
3. Our property taxes will fall from $16,500 per year to about $3000.
4. Monthly utility costs will be vastly lower.

Piggs are invited to guess our destination.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 23, 2021 - 9:15am.

Looked ok when i passed through. I was projecting, prescott i guess was for me. St geo. Sounds like a good place to end up. Good health, professor!

Submitted by svelte on February 23, 2021 - 10:12am.

EconProf wrote:
Bingo. sdrealtor also mentioned it.

Population about 150,000 in the metropolitan area and growing like crazy. Zion National Park about 30 minutes away and Vegas two hours south. Weather a bit better than Phoenix and Vegas because of higher elevation--5-10 degrees cooler in summer and winter.
Because of its growth, everything is new there--stores, housing developments, national chains, etc. Everything within about a ten minute drive, on great roads, and I-15, which runs through it.
The people are young, have conservative politics, good schools (they largely did not close down from COVID, and in gyms few wear masks), no visible homeless people, and economy booming. Yes, I'll invest in RE there.
The people are about two-thirds Mormon, which we are just fine with. Makes for large, healthy-looking families, hard workers, clean government, old-fashioned family values, low taxes.

Congrats Econ. I'm happy for you!

Submitted by FormerSanDiegan on February 23, 2021 - 11:30am.

Interesting move EconProf...

Thanks for freeing up some space for those of us moving back to San Diego from more expensive places further north.
After 16-ish years we are planning to move back to San Diego later this year due to the relative affordability compared to LA's Westside.

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 23, 2021 - 11:49am.

FormerSanDiegan wrote:
Interesting move EconProf...

Thanks for freeing up some space for those of us moving back to San Diego from more expensive places further north.
After 16-ish years we are planning to move back to San Diego later this year due to the relative affordability compared to LA's Westside.

Youre not alone. Market here is on fire with folks pouring in from L.A. And Bay area. Not sure where your looking but follow the North County Coastal monitor for updates and feel free to ask questions

Submitted by EconProf on February 23, 2021 - 5:13pm.

I agree the market here is hot--we sold our house to the first couple that saw it and they took 20 minutes to say yes to our asking price. Yeah, I know. I should have asked more, but we are now tenants for two months while the St. George house gets finished.
Footnote: I said our property taxes would fall from over $16,000 per year to 3,000. That's about one-half of one percent of the value of the house, which seems unrealistically low. A realtor gave me that figure and I'd like another source to confirm it, so don't quote me. And yes, our SD house taxes included Mello Roos.
Agree that the SD market is hot, but the St. George market is hotter. Almost nothing sells for asking price, bidding wars are the norm, and loan contingencies in offers get nowhere. New developments are popping up all over, and Cedar City, an hour north on I-15 is just as hot, as is Hurricane, just north of St. George.
The population is exploding as new residents come in from everywhere, especially CA. Because St. George schools are largely open, teachers tell of CA parents desperate to get their kids into in-person learning, so some are living in St. George motels in order to do so.
All the contractors are overwhelmed with work. Imported workers live in motels or sleep in their vehicles in motel parking lots--probably to use the facilities of the room where their buddies are staying. One realtor told me tofigure on one and a half years to get a new house built.
While the SD and St. George markets are both hot, it is for different reasons, as perhaps sdrealtor can confirm. St. George is strong because of people moving in, while SD is strong because of lack of inventory. That lack of inventory due to COVID fears, plus expense of building here. And I also suspect tech refugees are deserting their shithole LA and Bay area cities to come to tech-friendly San Diego. Thoughts...?

Submitted by flyer on February 23, 2021 - 7:43pm.

Beautiful place, EP--all the best. I'm with you on avoiding high property taxes and mello, which we've managed to do. There are lots of beautiful places in the world, and we try to spend time in many of them--but San Diego and rsf will always be home--especially with our families fairly close.

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 23, 2021 - 10:16pm.

Surprised to hear you say they are hot for different reasons because this is economics 101. They are hot because demand is far greater than supply. More people are coming than leaving. Inventory is low here but there are ten buyers for most houses. Inventory is not that low. People are coming to both places because of what they have to offer

Submitted by spdrun on February 23, 2021 - 11:34pm.

Hot? You bet. St. George, UT gets positively *glowing* recommendations! Come for the alphas, stay for the gammas ... and bring a survey meter along!

https://old.reddit.com/r/Utah/comments/l...

Oh, and average high in St. G in high scummer is 102F. Sounds like there's a reason why it's cheap. Denying COVID, throwing anyone who's homeless in jail, and a religious monoculture? More selling points! But, hey, whatever floats your dinghy.

Given the choice of somewhere rural, I'd probably go to Maine. Just as beautiful, briskly cold in winter, and smart people who don't try to cram their idea of G-d down your gullet.

Submitted by Coronita on February 24, 2021 - 5:40am.

spdrun wrote:
Hot? You bet. St. George, UT gets positively *glowing* recommendations! Come for the alphas, stay for the gammas ... and bring a survey meter along!

https://old.reddit.com/r/Utah/comments/l...

Oh, and average high in St. G in high scummer is 102F. Sounds like there's a reason why it's cheap. Denying COVID, throwing anyone who's homeless in jail, and a religious monoculture? More selling points! But, hey, whatever floats your dinghy.

Given the choice of somewhere rural, I'd probably go to Maine. Just as beautiful, briskly cold in winter, and smart people who don't try to cram their idea of G-d down your gullet.

dude. Is there a reason why you need to be an asshole on this thread?

Congrats EconProf. Glad you found Zen in your life .

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 24, 2021 - 7:41am.

Maine. Ugh. Mosquitoes.

Utah. Moab. Cleaner.

Submitted by barnaby33 on February 24, 2021 - 9:07am.

I think you are over-romanticizing the Mo's. Either way you're writing as someone who's smitten with a new adventure and hoping for the best.
Josh

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 24, 2021 - 9:23am.

Hope it works for you EP, I think you maybe could have gotten about 80% or so of what you are looking for in TV or maybe Fallbrook and been a bit cooler and still driving distance to beach but have fun!

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 24, 2021 - 11:24am.

Coronita wrote:
spdrun wrote:
Hot? You bet. St. George, UT gets positively *glowing* recommendations! Come for the alphas, stay for the gammas ... and bring a survey meter along!

https://old.reddit.com/r/Utah/comments/l...

Oh, and average high in St. G in high scummer is 102F. Sounds like there's a reason why it's cheap. Denying COVID, throwing anyone who's homeless in jail, and a religious monoculture? More selling points! But, hey, whatever floats your dinghy.

Given the choice of somewhere rural, I'd probably go to Maine. Just as beautiful, briskly cold in winter, and smart people who don't try to cram their idea of G-d down your gullet.

dude. Is there a reason why you need to be an asshole on this thread?

Congrats EconProf. Glad you found Zen in your life .

LETDLITA

It's postcard beautiful there

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 24, 2021 - 11:25am.

barnaby33 wrote:
I think you are over-romanticizing the Mo's. Either way you're writing as someone who's smitten with a new adventure and hoping for the best.
Josh

always the ray of sunshine ;)

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 24, 2021 - 11:55am.

The-Shoveler wrote:
Hope it works for you EP, I think you maybe could have gotten about 80% or so of what you are looking for in TV or maybe Fallbrook and been a bit cooler and still driving distance to beach but have fun!

Tv has a nice mormon church, lots of mormons. No zion natl park tho.

Im starting to think the heat in tv and st george Might be a selling point. My joints feel better in the warmth. Id be very creaky in maine or vermont.

Still, id feel pretty smart selling my house and buying something just as nice for 70% less

Submitted by The-Shoveler on February 24, 2021 - 12:56pm.

The difference between TV and st George probably is not that much IMO maybe 25% but maybe I am behind the current TV prices, it has grown some.
No Zion true, but there are beaches to drive to.

Submitted by an on February 24, 2021 - 1:05pm.

sdrealtor wrote:
Coronita wrote:
spdrun wrote:
Hot? You bet. St. George, UT gets positively *glowing* recommendations! Come for the alphas, stay for the gammas ... and bring a survey meter along!

https://old.reddit.com/r/Utah/comments/l...

Oh, and average high in St. G in high scummer is 102F. Sounds like there's a reason why it's cheap. Denying COVID, throwing anyone who's homeless in jail, and a religious monoculture? More selling points! But, hey, whatever floats your dinghy.

Given the choice of somewhere rural, I'd probably go to Maine. Just as beautiful, briskly cold in winter, and smart people who don't try to cram their idea of G-d down your gullet.

dude. Is there a reason why you need to be an asshole on this thread?

Congrats EconProf. Glad you found Zen in your life .

LETDLITA

It's postcard beautiful there

LoL

Submitted by Coronita on February 24, 2021 - 1:17pm.

I'm holding out to be a citizen on Mars.... Then there's lots of sand...

Submitted by gzz on February 24, 2021 - 1:48pm.

I don't understanding the property tax unless schools are funded differently there. You have big Mormon families, but an especially large house is only 3K?

I like both SLC and Park City, but I felt there were some downsides. SLC had an unpleasant smell everywhere. Maybe you get used to it. And I saw a lot of homeless, not concentrated but wondering around or loitering all over the place in small groups. Park City was beautiful in the off season, but basically as expensive as here.

Downtown SLC had a ton of urban amenities and was really clean, new, and organized. They also did a good job of keeping it dense but on a walkable human scale. It reminded me a lot of downtown San Jose.

My top escape to the interior West would be Phoenix. Just as cheap or cheaper as other areas, but with big city amenities. They also got the best water deal, so water is cheaper and more plentiful than NV.

Submitted by an on February 24, 2021 - 2:20pm.

Coronita wrote:
I'm holding out to be a citizen on Mars.... Then there's lots of sand...

I rather live in the Sahara desert before living on Mars... unless they solve teleportation.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 24, 2021 - 2:26pm.

Its stressful to uproot and leave a place. Im getting scared just thinking about it.

So many new senior assisted living places in temecula. I can just decay in place and take an uber to a senior home when necessary.

Submitted by EconProf on February 24, 2021 - 7:09pm.

gzz wrote:
I don't understanding the property tax unless schools are funded differently there. You have big Mormon families, but an especially large house is only 3K?

I like both SLC and Park City, but I felt there were some downsides. SLC had an unpleasant smell everywhere. Maybe you get used to it. And I saw a lot of homeless, not concentrated but wondering around or loitering all over the place in small groups. Park City was beautiful in the off season, but basically as expensive as here.

Downtown SLC had a ton of urban amenities and was really clean, new, and organized. They also did a good job of keeping it dense but on a walkable human scale. It reminded me a lot of downtown San Jose.

My top escape to the interior West would be Phoenix. Just as cheap or cheaper as other areas, but with big city amenities. They also got the best water deal, so water is cheaper and more plentiful than NV.

gzz: I agree that $3000 property tax looks suspiciously low, so I need confirmation on that. And Salt Lake City did have a surprisingly large number of homeless people. I guess that goes with any big city.

Submitted by EconProf on February 24, 2021 - 8:37pm.

In case anyone is interested in seeing what their money will buy in St. George, go to lifeatbrio.com. Great scenery of the area too.
Brio is a development of about 400 homes and is about two-thirds built out. We signed for the house last July at a cost of about $495,000, but added about $50,000 of custom features. The same model is now about $45,000 more expensive now, so nice gain already.
Confession: We'll be about two miles from my son, his wife, their four-year old boy and two-year old girl, and we fully intend to spoil them. So it is not my smarts that led me to St. George, but the good instincts of this happy couple.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 24, 2021 - 11:08pm.

I approve. I miss my grandpa. He was a really good guy. He moved to be two blocks from me.
Also that setup at brio looks damn nice. And i like this a lot...

https://intermountainhealthcare.org/loca...

Financed or cash? What was your reasoning?

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 24, 2021 - 11:34pm.

scaredyclassic wrote:
The-Shoveler wrote:
Hope it works for you EP, I think you maybe could have gotten about 80% or so of what you are looking for in TV or maybe Fallbrook and been a bit cooler and still driving distance to beach but have fun!

Tv has a nice mormon church, lots of mormons. No zion natl park tho.

Im starting to think the heat in tv and st george Might be a selling point. My joints feel better in the warmth. Id be very creaky in maine or vermont.

Still, id feel pretty smart selling my house and buying something just as nice for 70% less

One of my best friends has been in Burlington VT for about 20 years. His oldest graduates HS this year and he cant wait to get the hell out of there and the cold. He'll be in FLA as soon as possible

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 24, 2021 - 11:40pm.

EconProf wrote:
In case anyone is interested in seeing what their money will buy in St. George, go to lifeatbrio.com. Great scenery of the area too.
Brio is a development of about 400 homes and is about two-thirds built out. We signed for the house last July at a cost of about $495,000, but added about $50,000 of custom features. The same model is now about $45,000 more expensive now, so nice gain already.
Confession: We'll be about two miles from my son, his wife, their four-year old boy and two-year old girl, and we fully intend to spoil them. So it is not my smarts that led me to St. George, but the good instincts of this happy couple.

Honestly that website doesnt come close to showing how beautiful the area is. I could be very happy playing golf courses like these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=st+georg...

One of the biggest issues is as you said everything is new and antional chains. The lack of old family owned restaurants and interesting ethic food would kill me

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 25, 2021 - 9:30am.

Wow. The setting is nice enough for a natural course. The green detracts imo.

I guess id have to make my own thai food when i move across from econprof.

Theres a seller at the little italy farmers mkt who sells a great tom yum paste.

Ditch your weed at the border. Looks like 16 oz. Gets 5 years prison. Less is a up to a year in county lockup.

Personally im sick of intoxication. I think cheap legal weed may be harmful to young people. Too much, too easy to get, too cheap. Not as harmful as 5 y. Prison tho.

ive had my fill of intoxication and its time to be an old person just glad to wake up every morning. Been over a year without a drink, ever since that retreat at deerpark monastery in escondido. Might be better than rehab.

St george really is close enough to come back to escondido once in a while. And yelp has some nice eateries listed. Thai, indian peruvian others.

My grandpa used to give me little boxes of cookies. They dont sell them anymore. Every time i went there my brother and i got a box.. Good to have a thing like that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+...

These. He really got a lot of pleasure from watching us eat these.

My mom recently gave me the old chess set we used to play with. So worn. Even has the old spool substitution for the long lost rook i can remember 50 years later. Econprof, u can make a profound impression on those kids.

Submitted by Hobie on February 25, 2021 - 10:48am.

scaredyclassic wrote:
Econprof, u can make a profound impression on those kids.

What a respectful, classy thing to say. Nicely done scaredy!

+1 here.

Submitted by sdrealtor on February 25, 2021 - 11:45am.

Yes very nice sentiment scaredy.

As for the golf courses, they are just average. I posted the link to pictures which highlight the scenary around them more than the actual courses. Its visually stunning all over. If I lived there 'd drive the 10 minute stretch on 15 through the Virgin River Canyon at least once a week. One of my Top 5 drives in America it feels like a videe game.

The food is a non-starter for me as I go right to my italian food barometer. Looked up top 10 rated italian restos. Five are what look like inadequate pizza places, there isnt a single one Id look forward to eating at, #8 is a steakhouse not an italian restaurtant and #9 is Olive Garden. That sucks.

And onto appreciation he mentioned, some is nice but not close to CA. I helped my niece pick out a townhouse to buy in Cucamonga back August. We got the best location in the community for her at $415K. Project closed out in january close to $500K for same model in the worst locations. She doesnt close/move in until April or May and will already be around 25% appreciation. Thats CA appreciation for ya.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on February 25, 2021 - 12:51pm.

Hobie wrote:
scaredyclassic wrote:
Econprof, u can make a profound impression on those kids.

What a respectful, classy thing to say. Nicely done scaredy!

+1 here.

My folks were so nervous. My grampa was like an ocean of calm. He didnt seem in a hurry for anything. He was just like 100% there. He didnt take us on any trips. He didnt have a car even. We just went to the park. We flew kites, he fed pigeons [ he had kept pigeons on the roof and was astonishingly good with wild pigeons. Maybe they smelled pigeon on him?) . Played a lot of chess. Talked to us. Went for walks. Always fascinated with our bullshit. Dont recall any gifts other than the cookies. Probably a little cash on birthdays.

It doesnt take much. A little bit can be a lot. If i were lucky, i can be less like me and more like him moving forward. He strikes me now as being in a near perpetual state of mild amusement and astonishment that we were there. That box of cookies seemed so big. I see on the internet it was only about 2 ounces! Funny. I recall getting cokes in candy stores that were only like 6 or 8 ozs.

Slimmer world.

My other grandpa died "young". Like early 60s. Lets definitely avoid that!

We do this ancestor praise meditation over at the buddhist monastery with head to ground where you give thnx to all your ancestors, who in their confusion and pain and struggle brought the conditions for your existence. I thought that was kind of corny at first, but after a while i didnt.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.