Back to the Office for Tech Workers

User Forum Topic
Submitted by deadzone on February 23, 2022 - 2:35pm

Covid is over now for all intents and purposes. Amazon announced return to the office (3 days a week) and no longer requiring vaccine.

You knew this was coming, other large tech companies will follow suite. This change in addition to tech stocks getting absolutely hammered in the stock market this year will pretty much put an end to the "Bay area tech worker moving to ___ for remote work".

Just another ominous sign for the housing market along with rapidly rising interest rates. Anybody flipping houses now is going to get rammed hard. I think Zillow was wise to get out of that business when they did.

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 7:28am.

My tenant in 92130 yesterday night eagerly called me to ask me to exercise his option to renew his lease for a 2nd year at the same price that I offered him last year. I said sure.

He asked if he can extend it for a 3rd year too. I said, I'm not commiting to a 3rd year, but typically unless we have excessive inflation or the USD drops like a rock, I typically dont raise rates for a good tenant that doesn't move out. He offered to prepay 3rd year of rent in full...what? I suggested wait and see wait and see in case he or your wife has to go back to the office in LA/OC next year.

He said that both his company and wife will let them work indefinitely from San Diego, he reconfirmed his wife just needs to show up in satellite office in Old Town once every so often. he just needs to go to OC once per month. And he said no way in hell they would move back to Culver city and send their kids to school there instead of Del Mar Unified....

So I guess i locked $60k rental gross income for this year too. And probably the year after that if I want to...Score.

No need to put my SFH on the market for 2 years.

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 9:19am.

Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 9:26am.

deadzone wrote:
Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.

You keep talking about 1 stock. Netflix. Big deal.. I don't own netflix lol....

Gold is back to $1958 and Oil is down. Your point? lol

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 9:29am.

deadzone wrote:
Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.


Sounds like a great buying opportunity to me. NFLX in 2019 has revenue of $20b, profit of $1.9b, with profit margin of ~9% and for 2021, revenue was almost $30b, profit was $5.1b, and profit margin of ~17%.

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 9:32am.

an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.


Sounds like a great buying opportunity to me. NFLX in 2019 has revenue of $20b with profit margin of ~9% and for 2021, revue was almost $30b and profit margin of ~17%.

I just do my bi-monthly DRIP investment into index funds and bond index mostly. I don't need to take excessive risk these days and I don't have any major expenses each month so I can put $5500/month into investments and $1500/month into my kids custodial accounts on top of my 401k.

I'll live with the 4% rule : https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fou...

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 9:33am.

And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 9:35am.

an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.


Sounds like a great buying opportunity to me. NFLX in 2019 has revenue of $20b, profit of $1.9b, with profit margin of ~9% and for 2021, revenue was almost $30b, profit was $5.1b, and profit margin of ~17%.

Then go ahead and buy Netflix right now, what are you waiting for. Opportunity of a lifetime!

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 9:43am.

deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

Lol. I don't own facebook either... My dad does when it was $30/share I think. I don't generally hold individual stocks that my parents own and vice versa.

You're picking and choosing your winners and losers based on current market price. A danger game of being more wrong that right. no one can "guess" that accurately over a long period of time.

The only 3 techs I own individually are TSM and AMD and Intel, and it's less than 10% of my total holdings. not really material one way or the other lol. I'm not too worried about it because there's still a massive chip shortage and it's getting worse, even more so now that Shenzhen and Changchun are shutdown....Good news for US engineers and manufacturing in the long run. Inflation can actually support US tech wages that previously went overseas..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-ou...

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 9:42am.

deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.


Sounds like a great buying opportunity to me. NFLX in 2019 has revenue of $20b, profit of $1.9b, with profit margin of ~9% and for 2021, revenue was almost $30b, profit was $5.1b, and profit margin of ~17%.

Then go ahead and buy Netflix right now, what are you waiting for. Opportunity of a lifetime!


Done

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 9:44am.

an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
Coronita wrote:
Hey deadzone... Can you keep talking about how bad tech will do and how bad the stock market will continue to crash. We need a few more days of this kind of talk from you....

Netflix continuing to plummet already back to Pre-covid price. All the Covid gains evaporated.
Only a matter of time before they start announcing layoffs, if they aren't already. This is the .com bust all over again. But only this time it is going to spread to the entire economy.

Mortgage rates also returning to pre-covid level and only going to keep going higher.


Sounds like a great buying opportunity to me. NFLX in 2019 has revenue of $20b, profit of $1.9b, with profit margin of ~9% and for 2021, revenue was almost $30b, profit was $5.1b, and profit margin of ~17%.

Then go ahead and buy Netflix right now, what are you waiting for. Opportunity of a lifetime!


Done

You're brave :)

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 9:49am.

...and COVID is NOT over... Just look what's happening in China again....

It's only a matter of time before it arrives here...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/china/chi...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-loc...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/13...

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 9:56am.

Coronita wrote:

Then go ahead and buy Netflix right now, what are you waiting for. Opportunity of a lifetime!

Done[/quote]

You're brave :)[/quote]

Okay we'll revisit this later in the year and see how you did.
I did a lot of dip buying tech stocks back in 2000. It didn't work out well for me.

Submitted by sdrealtor on March 14, 2022 - 9:56am.

deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

I hope you are right. Ive got a house to build and the money to do so. I would love to at a discount

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 9:58am.

Coronita wrote:
...and COVID is NOT over... Just look what's happening in China again....

It's only a matter of time before it arrives here...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/china/chi...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-loc...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/13/china-announces-new-curbs-amid-worst-covid-outbreak-in-two-years

Well the Covid lockdowns and USG money handouts due to Covid is what I am claiming are over. In other words the Covid economy which includes the insane real estate bubble which is the crown jewel of covid policy accomplishments.

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 10:05am.

sdrealtor wrote:
deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

I hope you are right. Ive got a house to build and the money to do so. I would love to at a discount

Or just roll the dice and put all your money into Netflix

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 10:09am.

deadzone wrote:
Okay we'll revisit this later in the year and see how you did.
I did a lot of dip buying tech stocks back in 2000. It didn't work out well for me.

I bought Jan 2024 call, so I have almost 2 years to capture my gain.

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 10:08am.

sdrealtor wrote:
deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

I hope you are right. Ive got a house to build and the money to do so. I would love to at a discount


Me too, I would love to see a repeat of 2008 where lending, labor and material cost is dirt cheap.

Submitted by sdrealtor on March 14, 2022 - 10:10am.

deadzone wrote:
sdrealtor wrote:
deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

I hope you are right. Ive got a house to build and the money to do so. I would love to at a discount

Or just roll the dice and put all your money into Netflix

Smart money doesnt put all their money or hopes on one thing whether its a single stock or a market correction

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 10:11am.

an wrote:
sdrealtor wrote:
deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

I hope you are right. Ive got a house to build and the money to do so. I would love to at a discount


Me too, I would love to see a repeat of 2008 where lending, labor and material cost is dirt cheap.

yes now you guys are getting it, Deflation is awesome.
I look forward to the return of the 5 for 5$ deal at Petco park. 2009/2010 timeframe, Padres games were great back then.

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 10:12am.

What is the strike price?

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 10:13am.

an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
Okay we'll revisit this later in the year and see how you did.
I did a lot of dip buying tech stocks back in 2000. It didn't work out well for me.

I bought Jan 2024 call, so I have almost 2 years to capture my gain.

Strike price?

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 10:18am.

deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
Okay we'll revisit this later in the year and see how you did.
I did a lot of dip buying tech stocks back in 2000. It didn't work out well for me.

I bought Jan 2024 call, so I have almost 2 years to capture my gain.

Strike price?


360

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 10:25am.

deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
sdrealtor wrote:
deadzone wrote:
And facebook. What is that, 2/5 of FAANG already corrected to pre-covid. Only a matter of time before Apple and Alphabet follow.
And more relevant to housing industry, Zillow, Redfin and Open Door all collapsing to pre-covid levels or all time lows in case of open.

Go ahead and ignore all of this just because you don't personally own these stocks doesn't change the fact that a collapse is happening.

I hope you are right. Ive got a house to build and the money to do so. I would love to at a discount


Me too, I would love to see a repeat of 2008 where lending, labor and material cost is dirt cheap.

yes now you guys are getting it, Deflation is awesome.
I look forward to the return of the 5 for 5$ deal at Petco park. 2009/2010 timeframe, Padres games were great back then.


LoL, what are you talking about? I took advantage of the last great recession and have been taking advantage of the current crazy inflation as well. Like sdr said, I don't bet on one direction or another. I'll be happy if we see a repeat of 2008 and I'll be happy if we see a repeat of the late 70s. I'm set up to take advantage, regardless of which way it swings.

Inflation is AWESOME too. I'm loving the last couple years of this massive inflation.

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 10:36am.

an wrote:
I don't bet on one direction or another.

You literally just placed a bet that Neflix was going to go higher.

Submitted by sdrealtor on March 14, 2022 - 10:44am.

deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
I don't bet on one direction or another.

You literally just placed a bet that Neflix was going to go higher.

Don’t be an idiot you know he meant as a whole. Of course we put our money down on various things but through hedging we diversify our risk and come out ahead consistently as compared to those sitting on the sidelines whining about missing the opportunity of a lifetime

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 10:56am.

deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
I don't bet on one direction or another.

You literally just placed a bet that Neflix was going to go higher.


If you just read the other post that you responded you, then you would understand.

BTW, how much PUT did you buy over the last few months? You must be killing it over the last few months shorting NFLX and other tech stocks.

Submitted by deadzone on March 14, 2022 - 11:00am.

an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
I don't bet on one direction or another.

You literally just placed a bet that Neflix was going to go higher.


If you just read the other post that you responded you, then you would understand.

BTW, how much PUT did you buy over the last few months?

Have net short interest now but I don't have the balls I had back in 2006.
Shorting Zillow, Zoom, Peloton, etc. during peak of Covid boom was another "opportunity of a lifetime" that I missed.

Submitted by sdrealtor on March 14, 2022 - 11:08am.

Always a bridesmaid never the bride

Submitted by Coronita on March 14, 2022 - 11:15am.

deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
deadzone wrote:
an wrote:
I don't bet on one direction or another.

You literally just placed a bet that Neflix was going to go higher.


If you just read the other post that you responded you, then you would understand.

BTW, how much PUT did you buy over the last few months?

Have net short interest now but I don't have the balls I had back in 2006.
Shorting Zillow, Zoom, Peloton, etc. during peak of Covid boom was another "opportunity of a lifetime" that I missed.

Lol, I don't think anyonw said buying zillow, zoom, peloton was an opportunity of a lifetime.

I think people said buying real estate during the great recession was an opportunity of a lifetime.
I think people said staying invested in the markets during covid worked well too. I don't think people are saying specific stocks especially peloton were an opportunity of a lifetime. You keep focusing on speculation on individual stocks. I'm not sure why....

Just like you keep focusing on the news from some individual company and generalizing them to individual trends. Remote work, hybrid work, and now we are back to talking about the stock market...

Someone has an ax to grind, lol...

Submitted by an on March 14, 2022 - 11:22am.

sdrealtor wrote:
Always a bridesmaid never the bride

LoL

I don't know what I'm hoping for more, repeat of 2008 or repeat of late 70s. Either way, there will be a lot of pain for a lot of people. So, maybe neither.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.