anyone savy/understand military HAP stuff

User Forum Topic
Submitted by jimcav on April 19, 2009 - 2:19pm

I bought a house in WA at my last duty station in 2006. We then transferred to San Diego in August 2008. We tried to sell it, but it was worth less than we had put into it. even after dropping the price to give up the finished basement costs we could not sell it, so it is now rented.

we'd like to buy here in san diego, but i think because of that house (we are slightly negative on renting it) we won't quailfy as well for the loan we would want (for home prices here are much higher).

I hear rumors that the Homeowners Assistance Program for military is expanding to be not just for base closures but also for those who had to transfer?

anyone know how this works?


Submitted by TheREAgent4me on April 21, 2009 - 2:21pm.

Homeowner's Assistance Program, or HAP, has been expanded to include active duty service member property owners with PCS orders more than 50 miles from the primary residence (not investment property) in areas of housing market decline. Yes, something GOOD came out of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act! Keeping in mind there are date criteria that must be met: 1)Property purchase date (before July 1, 2006), and 2) PCS away from the area (after Feb 1, 2006). It requires a good bit of additional documentation- pray you are a good record keeper- but if you meet those 2 initial criteria you are off to a good start! The Army Corps of Engineers is awaiting DOD execution instructions. Translated...they are accepting applications but can't process or pay anything out until DOD issues clarification.

I am a Realtor and military spouse currently working with San Diego service members who meet the published qualifications. The government doesn't really want to buy the property from you. They want you to sell it- "private sale augmentation". Some documentation of attempt to sell should be submitted at application. Preferably you have an offer to purchase from a capable Buyer willing to wait for DOD to do their part, but not necessarily required. Service members should assure the property is listed with a real estate agent well versed in this program. You still need to "cover your assets" by including a counter offer with certain wording (and short sale addendum) to any offers you receive as a seller.

You can go to to get the application. It can be done post sale as well, if you have any friends who meet the criteria and have already sold. We will see what DOD has to say about how this works if the service member has already had to short sale or foreclosed. Bad credit makes for security clearance nightmares.

Jim, sounds like you might qualify if you purchased the house before July 1, 2006. Feel free to contact me through my website if you have any specific info you don't want on the blog Thank you for your service to our Country! Blessings, Denise

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.