San Diego Housing Market News and Analysis
Another San Diegan moving to Denver (me!)
User Forum Topic
Submitted by evolusd on June 7, 2010 - 12:52pm
I've given up. After graduating from USD in 2001 and watching the housing market boom and bust (not as far down as it should have gone due to govt intervention), my wife and I have given up on San Diego and are seriously considering a move to Denver.
Just got back from a long weekend scouting various suburbs for a home for my family (me, wife, 2 little ones and counting). Found numerous 4-5 bedroom homes, 3,000+ sf in the $325k - $375k range within 20 miles of downtown, where I would likely be working.
A few observations:
1. There were very few obese people; everyone seemed very health-conscious.
2. The Red Rocks Amphitheatre is AWESOME. Would love to see a concert there. Went up into the Rockies one day as well, which is also breathtaking.
3. Every suburb/master planned community had tons of parks, walking/biking trails and lakes/streams. Many houses back to a greenbelt or open space, making yards feel much bigger.
4. Almost every home has a basement; weird as I've lived in So Cal my whole life.
5. Taxes - property tax is usually under 1%, compounded by the fact that the house costs 50% of what it would here. State income tax is fixed at 4.63% vs 9%+ in the higher Cali brackets.
I'd like some of your thoughts. This is a huge life decision we are not taking lightly and I value the Pigg (most, anyway) opinion. I know...I know...it gets cold and snows there!
~Active forum topics~